If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Ontario Trucking Before 1980  (Read 31687 times)

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
Re: Ontario Trucking Before 1980
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2007, 12:03:30 PM »
Any body mention Gunther Tuckey. A good friend of mine's dad drove for them. I think they became part of Overland Western. Others that come to mind are Rumble Transport, Mac Kinley (Central) Chapmans cartage(Hensel Circle, Cooksville) Five Wheels (Milton) Sandan Leasing (Concord) Diamond Leasing(Oakville) Harkema(Brampton) Skene Transport.
Delta Express. Walmer, Cronkwright. Yuill Cartage, Jefferies Cartage (St Kitts) Fluke (Hamilton) Maislin Transport.
Red Star Express. Doral. Roy Clough. Green Line Express, Cadline Express. Fleet Express(Intercity) Eagle transport (Highland). Scott( Overland ). Wallace, Bondy, Geem Express (I.C.L.) Taggert. Cotrell Forwarders, Livingston cartage
Stans Express.(TTR) Don Parks Equipment. Drumbo Transport. Ivan Shaw leasing(Cooksville) Roberval Express.
Gledhill Equipment(Oakwood)

Gunther Tuckey was purchased by deGroote's Laidlaw.
Became the Exeter Ontario terminal and for a time an LTL operation.

Scott Transport of Oakville was purchased by deGroote's Laidlaw.
Eventually partnered with Reliable to form Reliable-Scott and then closed down.

Livingston's trucking operation with also purchased by deGroote.
Laidlaw moved  their Toronto terminal from the former Leather Cartage location on North Queen Street to Livingston's yard on Cawthra Road in Mississauga.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 12:05:05 PM by doug mckenzie »
Right-wing Old School.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2007, 12:03:30 PM »

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2007, 12:13:16 PM »
IAnyone remember A.J. Goodale out of Hamilton,They were bought out by TRI-LINE

They were a heavy hauler (PCV Class "K") weren't they?

The Fixer

• Regular Membership
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2007, 12:21:53 PM »
Yup, all heavy haul. One of my first memories is of a Goodale truck my dad drove with gumball machine lights on the roof. That was 1977, I was two years old.
Not sure about the PCV thing thou.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2007, 01:26:24 PM »
Mac Kinley (Central)
Well other than the fact you misspelled McKinLAY - they moved to Milton; but continued to use those ole gas pot Whites around Toronto. I recall them crawling (literally at about 35MPH) along the 401 by Streetsville Road on the way back to Milton.
Chapmans cartage(Hensel Circle, Cooksville)
I don't recall them being on Hensall Circle, unless they were hauling for Cooksville Steel. I recall them being in Bulk Carrier's yard on Cawthra Road. Old Dodges with Detroit Diesels.

Harkema(Brampton)
Dormant after a Teamster Strike and bought by Roadway in 1980 or 1981. They ran out of Interport at that time because Trojan (freight divn) was in the Brampton terminal building. Do you remember when Harkema had a steel division?
Question for $200.00 please Alex :roll:...what was the name of the predecessor company to Harkema?
Skene Transport.
They were that Forwarding Company who's name I always forget. They were on Wilson Ave.
Cronkwright.
from Simcoe...I imagine that their operations ended up in BR Smith. I found an old Cronkwright trailer in Simcoe last year.
Yuill Cartage
 from New Toronto. Did they end up as part of (DeGroote of course) Laidlaw?

That's enough for now.
I'll deal with those others at a later time.

, [Jefferies Cartage (St Kitts) Fluke (Hamilton) Maislin Transport.
Red Star Express. Doral. Roy Clough. Green Line Express, Cadline Express. Fleet Express(Intercity) Eagle transport (Highland). Scott( Overland ). Wallace, Bondy, Geem Express (I.C.L.) Taggert. Cotrell Forwarders, Livingston cartage
Stans Express.(TTR) Don Parks Equipment. Drumbo Transport. Ivan Shaw leasing(Cooksville) Roberval Express.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 04:31:56 AM by Rob Archer »

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2007, 01:27:24 PM »
I guess I still have to work on the multiple quotes thing :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2007, 01:36:25 PM »
I guess I still have to work on the multiple quotes thing :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

LMAO Rob when i saw this :lol: :lol: :lol:.  Uh i haven't even attempted it yet. Just waiting for the right moment.  :-D

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2007, 02:34:31 PM »

Back in 1974, Chapman Cartage or as it was also known, Chapman and Montreal Cartage occupied the lot directly beside Laidlaw's 90 North Queen Street facility - I guess it was either 88 ot 92 North Queen.

Provost Cartage was directly beside on the east, then Wimpey's and of course that one place where more truckin' was ever done in Ontario than there were roads ......... Cousin Don's!

Don't remember Chapman having Detroit-powered CN Dodges - there might have been 1 or 2 with 318's but most I remembered with powered with 250 Cummins engines and tag axle equipped.
Right-wing Old School.

wig wag

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2007, 02:53:12 PM »
You might be right about the chapman Cartage location. I remember that if you looked west from the level crossing at
Haines rd, they they would be at that rail transfer place. Thier trucks would be parked on the shoulders of Hensal Circle
where it loops under Dundas. Prem-argo Block(spell) used to be there also.
I don't remember if I asked this question before, sorry if I have ,but what was the name of the outfit that had the
old fleet of super duty Fords on with Molson's. They where on the west side of Shorncliffe Rd. Etobicoke.
They where related to the Molson's threw Marrage. The trucks where well maintained red white and blue, and gold,
with 8V-53's? The company name was in small print on the doors.

shunter

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2007, 03:13:27 PM »
Any body mention Gunther Tuckey. A good friend of mine's dad drove for them. I think they became part of Overland Western. Others that come to mind are Rumble Transport, Mac Kinley (Central) Chapmans cartage(Hensel Circle, Cooksville) Five Wheels (Milton) Sandan Leasing (Concord) Diamond Leasing(Oakville) Harkema(Brampton) Skene Transport.
Delta Express. Walmer, Cronkwright. Yuill Cartage, Jefferies Cartage (St Kitts) Fluke (Hamilton) Maislin Transport.
Drumbo Transport is alive & well.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2007, 03:40:49 PM »
I'm likely wrong on the power for the Dodges; but I distinctly remember seeing trailers with very wobbly wheels on Chapman rigs.

OK...one that is long gone; Shipper's Dispatch (or was it Express?) who were on Mavis Road. They hauled structural steel.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 04:34:01 AM by Rob Archer »

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
Cooksville Re: Ontario Trucking Before 1980
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2007, 04:43:58 AM »
Ivan Shaw Leasing from Cooksville?
I spent a lot of time in Cooksville and don't remember them.
Where were their trucks parked?

You remember all the moving vans parked at the old Woodland Motel at the bottom of the brickyard hill.

Hensall Circle was the place to spot the dump trucks from Jack Ridley Cartage from Acton hauling stone to Primeau Argo Block.

Cooksville today. :?

Sure has changed. :x

wig wag

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2007, 04:52:07 AM »
Funny you should mention Shippers Dispatch. I bought a repo reefer from Larry Skelton's S.I.H. Leasing about 1980.
The outfit that lost it was named Shippers Dispatch. I believe it was run by Lenny Mask and Andy Beninger out of the
offices it Quinn's Truck Stop.
There where two identicle trailers. You have a picture of one of them in your collection. A green COE pete with a
baby blue Trailmoble Dazzler 11 reefer. That was my trailer but I borrowed Warren Jeffries truck for some reason.
The pic was taken at Rockwood Mall, Dixie and Burnamthorpe. There was usually a Hayes Clipper there that belonged to
Garry----. He had it on with Maritime Ontario. Sometimes his nephew parked there also, with an Astro on with McCaully(spell)
from the Maritimes.
We parked there for years without any problems until Dominion went on strike and they where using scab labour to bring in
the groceries at night.
Well. one day there was this tough lookin' Louisville parked in the line up. They said that the driver started the truck up
and left it running and as the air built up with it having that wonky brake valve that Fords used back then, you know
the one that had the lever similar to the kind that you use for a fifth wheel slider contol, it has the red thumb lock?
As the air came up the brakes released and the truck rolled down across the parking lot missed the parked cars and crashed
through the wall of the mechanical/electrical room of the Woolco store. --- NO TRUCK PARKING!

wig wag

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2007, 05:30:04 AM »
 I think Ivan Shaw was on Mavis Rd. where M.G.S. (Mavis Garden Suppy) is. I remember the motel. the Hienz drvers used to
stay there. Didn't McKinnon take over Shaw? They had trucks there some time ago.
Greg Shears had his corporate empire over on Woolfedale Rd. He had Shearco, Mississauga Supply, and Economics Labratories.
I think he is still going.
Parent Transport, I think was on Mavis, Now, you know cooksville, Rob. Wasn't there a couple of manufacturers on the
west side of Mavis, south of the tracks that had trucks. one had some old green K-100's Space Saver or something like that
 they made or distributed storage shelves. the other outfit had Black K-100's with a gold stripe and they made and distributed
quansit hut(spell) agri buildings. Some of the tractors had pickers on them. I tried to get a job at both of those places.
The hut outfit would send the loaded trailers out west on the train and then the truck would haul a loded one out and
unload all the other trailers on site. Wasn't Dash Ind. in that neighbourhood?

big H

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2007, 10:34:39 AM »
The carrier for Molson Brewery on shorncliffe rd. was Hyatt Transport also wasn,t Roy DeLoup involved with Shippers Dispatch before he partnered with Charlie Bates at Network Transport.

steve

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2008, 12:00:46 PM »
ivan shaw leasing was in streetsville i remember going to buffalo with one of his sons in  a mack hauling from derby dog foods in streetsvile they used to haul purina dog food as well

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2008, 12:00:46 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs