If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Western New York Truckstops  (Read 12977 times)

CAN MAN

Re: Western New York Truckstops
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2005, 10:38:18 AM »
There were quite a few TRAVELPORT's around in New York , Pennsylvania  were big on catering to the RV crowd. Last 1 I heard being built was back in the early 90's then nothing. 

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2005, 10:38:18 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2005, 10:44:39 AM »
There still is a Travelport sign out front. I've never heard of them, I thought it might have been a nickname for a small TA.

They were a smaller chain that was started by one of the founders or former higher-ups from Truckstops of America who somewhat ironically sold out back to TA.  They had several in NY, a big one in Paulsboro, N.J., and the Harborcreek TA near Erie was built as a Travelport and had a makeover a few years ago.

Boll Weevil

• Regular Membership
  • "Ford W9000's rule!"-Boll Weevil, age 11
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2005, 08:48:18 PM »
We used to stop at the "76 " on 295 in Paulsboro. I vaguely remember another truck stop across the street, but not the name.

I try to stay at the Travelodge at the Harborcreek TA when I'm on that run. It's clean and only costs $36 with the CDL discount. I keep whatever I don't spend of my per diem allowance. 8-)
Jim

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2005, 04:44:15 PM »
I try to stay at the Travelodge at the Harborcreek TA when I'm on that run.

Your only two hours from home!  Sounds like you have alot of drops, probably the middle of your run.
I usually get a bunch of pictures at the Harborcreek truckstop when I'm up that way.  Alot of Canadian rigs usually there.

Boll Weevil

• Regular Membership
  • "Ford W9000's rule!"-Boll Weevil, age 11
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2005, 08:23:27 PM »

Your only two hours from home!? Sounds like you have alot of drops, probably the middle of your run.

:-D? The stops on that run usually number in the mid 20's, starting in Pittsburgh with roughly the last 10 being between Meadville and the Erie area.

I once stayed in Hermitage on that run, as well as Bedford PA, Clarksburg WV, and Youngstown OH on other runs. :shock:
Jim

matteagle

• Regular Membership
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 05:45:01 PM »
Dear Rob,
      I live in Rochester, and there is a truck stop in Henrietta along W Henrietta Rd. It's not large, and I'm not sure who owns it, but I know its not a TA. The closest TA I can think of would be along I-90 in Waterloo or the small one along I-390 near Dansville. Aside from that, the only other thing is a rest stop along I-90 in Victor, but that's small and is owned by the NYSDOT.

wbache

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 08:14:25 PM »
My first truck trips into the upstate NY area were in the 60's and early 70's.  the truck stop in Henrietta was next to the market where there was a scale. My best recollection was at that time the name of it was called Truckstops Inc.  I have always been under the impression that this was the original TA. I stopped there a number of times and once spent a weekend there waiting to load.  What it is or isn't today I don't have a clue but it was one of the few truck stops in the Rochester area way back when!. I also spent a weekend at a T/S in Fultonville  just off the thruway and made stops at  one in Binghamton and another at Ripley on the NY/PA line.  Most anything else was a gas station that sold diesel and had a place to eat close by. Most of the big oil companies put out a booklet that listed truckstop locations and facilities and I kept a collection of those since I never drove for a regular route carrier.

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 09:50:14 PM »
Walt, from what I can recall, the first Truckstops of America (TA) was somewhere in NY, though I can't recall exactly where, could be the one you mentioned.

Ex Road Pounder

• Proud member since July 10, 2003
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2016, 10:06:05 AM »
 Walt is right. The truck stop in Rochester was on Jefferson Road corner of East Henrietta Road next to the Regional Market.
 That closed up many years ago, and there is a Mobil gas convenient store there now.
 The truck stop moved over on West Henrietta Road near the Thruway. I've never been in the place, as they have a gate, and I understand you pay $5? to get in the parking lot, and then get your money back if you spend that much in there.
 There were always other places local drivers went for meals.
 Texaco Town Dinner is closed. It's been open as a family restraunt periodically, but the last few years it has been closed. However there is a convenient store on the property where the fuel pumps used to be that sell diesel, and gasoline.
 Before I 390 was built Goodrich Dinner in Avoca, and Molley's Dinner in Bath were popular. Both victums of Interstate System.
 In Buffalo there was a place called Anjon's? maybe it was Walden Ave?
 Also we used to stop at a place on Route 33 near Corfu don't recall the name, but last I knew that was open as maybe breakfast, and lunch?
 There was a truck stop in Bergen corner 19 & 33. That is still there, but just a restraunt although there is a large parking lot there.
 Thanks for the memories.

gearjamer66

• Regular Membership
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2016, 07:08:15 PM »
My granparents were dairy farmers in the catskills. Livingston manor NY. I can remember as kid listening to the truckers out on 17 on the CB. and hearing the trucks in the distance.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2016, 07:08:15 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs