If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: The future part 2: Where does this road lead?  (Read 905 times)

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
Re: The future part 2: Where does this road lead?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2020, 03:51:49 PM »
The link doesn't show up for me Rob.

I'm an admin for HTP Alumni but long term I'm not sure what the plan is. Facebook is great if you want to share an occasional picture from time to time, but it's not my preferred setup for sharing bulk shots. Let's just see where it goes for now.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2020, 03:51:49 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2020, 09:12:43 AM »
Trucks From Across North America

This is the name of Russel's group on FB.
It is private so you have to contact him to join.

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2020, 02:08:06 PM »
Great idea for those who want to still stay in touch once the forum is gone for good.  I will send my request right after I post this.  I can't say how active I'll be or anything, but I'm interested to see where this goes.  I'm in the process of posting the thousands of photos I've taken over the years to Flickr, and while there seems to be a good truck/transportation photography community there, it is not a good format for discussion so perhaps the Facebook can fill in that void somewhat.

Cookieman

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2020, 05:34:45 PM »
Great Idea for a place to meet up still.I'll be looking it up shortly.

CJ Halls "Retro Canadian Trucking" is another one that makes any time on Facebook worthwhile.

For the few shots i take, they usually just go on Instagram. Too bad there isn't a really good way to have discussions on there.
@baltimoreexpress is where i spend most social media time these days.

Ex Road Pounder

• Proud member since July 10, 2003
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2020, 07:06:25 PM »
Thanks for trying to keep this group alive. I have cut way back on my truck pictures, but will participate if I have something relevant to add.   Sent a request to join, and let's hope for the best.

TWP

• Regular Membership
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2020, 09:27:19 AM »
Request to join sent.
Full agreement to the listed rules.

Thank you for starting this.
Truckin`Addiction.
Argueing with a trucker is like wrestleing with a pig in the mud.
After a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.

five_oh18

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2020, 10:25:29 AM »
Request sent thank you.

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2020, 09:21:22 PM »
I wanted to get something in here before it got too late.  As others have said, I canít thank Hank enough for all he has done with this site, both the picture side and the forum, all the work he has put in and what was accomplished.  Back when he first discussed how the main site had to come down, I got to thinking and was kind of shocked at how long the site has been around and how long Iíve been on here.  We moved to our current house in the fall of 2005.  I canít remember how, but several years before that I had stumbled on Hankís site in itís infancy, and that was when we had our home computer in a semi-finished room in the basement and were still on dial-up!  The monitor was one of those tan, foot+ deep devices that was the norm back then, not todayís wafer-thin flat screens.  I had traveled across Canada several times and loved Canadian trucking and was amazed and what I found on the site, even back then before it completely took off.

One of the unsung impacts of this site which Iím not sure how much everyone realizes, maybe even Hank, is how it brought together this relatively small, vastly dispersed group of truck photographers/enthusiasts from many yearsí past.  Iím 56, so basically grew up in the Ď70ís.  Iíve mentioned in past posts how I grew up in the same neighborhood, two streets apart from Mark Savage.  We actually were both were already heavily into trucks and building models prior to meeting each other, kind of crazy that two of the biggest truck nuts in the country being that close together.  Both of us also started taking truck pictures back then, and if asked I can best guess that I started at age 12, 1975.  I spent endless hours as a kid up in his workshop talking about trucks, models, looking through pictures.  Other than entering model contests I kind of flew under the radar then, but Mark was quite immersed into traded photos with a lot of other people so I was quite familiar with a lot of the folks who ended up on HTP.  Gary Morton, the ďOntario DougsĒ (Doug Grieve. Doug McKenzie), Wayne Crane, Harry Patterson, Bob Conrad, Neil Sherff, and several others.  Eventually I traded briefly with Harry in the mid Ď80s, and Dave Faust in the late Ď90ís, plus I was familiar with Russ McNeil then too.  (Anyone know what became of the Monfort guru from MA?  He was the one that hooked me up with Dave Faust, Russís collection, and my trucker friend from Canfield OH, but havenít heard from him in about 20 years.  I wonít give his name, but if you knew him you know who Iím talking about.)  Anyway, it amazes me how Hankís site eventually brought all these folks together in one place and could actually reach out to each other.  Thatís why I found it frustrating when a lot of the younger and newer members began to defect to the more mainstream ďsocial mediaĒ, because I donít think a lot of them appreciated what happened here.  Things change, which is fine, sort of like Amazon vrs Sears and Kmart, and I can appreciate that.  However, I saw that I have been a member of the forum since 2003, and Facebook wasnít even launched until 2004!

Another thing is how for a long time, at least before Pinterest came along, was any time Iíd look up a trucking company I shot but didnít thing I had heard of before, invariably all the links I would find in the first set would take you back to Hankís, either the main site or forum.  HTP was really kind of the reference standard for pics and info on companies.

Iíve had the privilege of meeting up Hank on three occasions, one of the nicest, most humble people you could meet, especially given what he accomplished.  The first two were in the same week when in one of lifeís crazy coincidences, of all the places in the world he could end up, he came to Pittsburgh for a weeklong conference back in November of 2007.  I still worked in the city back then, and he was over at the convention center, so I was able to meet up at lunch one day during the week and take him to where I would shoot in town, and then we were able to get together for the day on Saturday before he left and go to my Youngstown/I-80 stomping grounds.  To make the coincidence even crazier, Doug McKenzie, who drives for Midland and occasionally came up through PA, was passing through back to Toronto that afternoon, so we were able to get together at a McDonaldís in Mercer PA off I-80, a short detour from his route, and then Doug was able to take Hank for a short ride back north as I followed.

Iím also amazed at how many other photographers had joined Hankís that I had never been familiar with, doing the same thing I was even thogu I've never ran into another truck photographer out in the field.  Iíve always thought that one of the unsung collections was Fred Gruinís, there he was in the days of black and white photos and B-model Macks and Cannonball GMC's doing the same thing many of us do today, standing roadside shooting truck pictures.

I guess Iíve rambled on enough.  One last thing, I think that probably 80-90% of the time that Iíve been out taking pictures, and got to talking to someone and mentioned HTP, they were familiar with and had been on the site.  Just goes to show the impact itís had.
Thanks again to Hank for all that was accomplished here!

A few photos from my trip with Hank to Youngstown 11/07, talking to a Landstar driver at the Hubbard OH Flying J.

See you on down the road Jack!

« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 09:31:06 PM by Paul Kane »

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2020, 09:21:22 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs