If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: 2020 KENWORTH W990 FLAT TOP & WILSON 53'TRIDEM CATTLE TRAILER  (Read 522 times)

JJG

2020 KENWORTH W990 FLAT TOP & WILSON 53'TRIDEM CATTLE TRAILER
« on: January 08, 2020, 01:32:18 AM »
A new year, a new decade, a fitting way to start it off with a brand new KW

this is a resin casting from Dwayne Currie of the W990 40"flat top version with a coat of primer applied

and now in Omaha Orange base coat

mocked up on a Promotex chassis with a 230" WB, looks like the perfect setup for this build

Jim.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 02:18:48 AM by JJG »

Hank's Truck Forum

2020 KENWORTH W990 FLAT TOP & WILSON 53'TRIDEM CATTLE TRAILER
« on: January 08, 2020, 01:32:18 AM »

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
Re: 2020 KENWORTH W990 FLAT TOP
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 04:32:44 AM »
You can[t get anymore current than this.

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 06:33:20 AM »
Like Rob said it's cutting edge Jim. 8) Saw this one in Virginia last week……...looks good with an ag trailer.

JJG

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 02:08:50 AM »
Thanks Rob, Charlie! Funny you should post the AG trailer......it is what this one is going to haul.....I think anyway!

Masked for the 2nd colour and off to the paint shop

the 2nd colour is Aberdeen Green Metallic, a 2008 Honda colour

de-masked, clear coat applied and sitting back on the chassis

the chassis will go Omaha Orange when ready which is a 1979 IH colour

and then the trailer, I wanted to do a 72" spread tridem since the Lonestar Barrett trailer came out, however, it seemed like all I could manage to get into the extra added section was a 60" axle spacing (without cutting into that amazing photo-etched punch side) so I settled for that. Then I figured maybe the Promotex livestock trailer would be easier to kit bash so, 2 trailers later

we have donors........now a thorough search shows nothing resembling this unit, I have not found any with those wheel housings BUT the front panel most closely resembles a Wilson's brand trailer so that is what it will be. Rear section added and wheel cutouts filed off, new material added

to create the correct look. Wheel openings filed into panels, tridem suspension fabbed up using one of the other axles.

This trailer actually starts out as a 48' so it lends itself well to adding the extra section making it a 53' now.

Now to modify the rear section a bit yet........later

Jim.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 02:17:17 AM by JJG »

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
Re: 2020 KENWORTH W990 FLAT TOP & WILSON 53'TRIDEM CATTLE TRAILER
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 05:32:40 AM »
Very nice! 8) 8) 8)
Suggest you find Steve Goddard Truck Photos on Facebook for inspiration.
Steve is a long time cattle hauler from Winnipeg.
https://www.facebook.com/Steve-Goddard-Truck-Photos-1895087144075684/

JJG

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 03:27:36 AM »
Thanks Rob, I did check out those pictures, awesome stuff, shows some great views of some variety of cattle trailers, I want to add a partial winter kit to this one so he has some great shots of those!!

On with the project, cab slightly sanded, black stripe added

re-cleared and set up on the painted chassis for a look, battery boxes and DEF tank are supplied in kit :)

needs some tweaking yet again!

And the chrome starts......love this part! All chrome so far is Molotow Ink pen with Testors graphite for the grille it self, Dennis Aust bumper installed

The trailer has had some updates too but no photos yet.

And that's it for today.

Jim.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 11:40:29 AM by JJG »

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 06:50:49 AM »
Heavy on cool!  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Is the "winter kit" the plywood ( I'm guessing plywood) sides in the trailer?
This is a project that Gerard would have liked - he liked all things from the farm.

JJG

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 01:19:17 PM »
Rob:  Yes, the side panels are the winter kit, not sure if plywood, they have a plastic look to them but I would have to consult a pig pen hauler, should have asked one of the guys we were following in the summer vacation. They must be fairly thin and light weight I hope as they have to be installed in between the hand rails???

On with the trailer progress, the rear of the trailer really required some modifications IMO, I opened up the top section of the rear overhead door -as is common on most I see-  added the pull rope to open it with, added a rear bumper, moved the lights down, added clearance lights upper and lower along with the rubber bumper pieces

added a storage door to store the winter panels when not in use(?)

rounded front corners and all roof sides as seems to be prototypical on Wilson

ready to send to the paint dept for a coat of fine aluminum base toner, then clear-coated to give a non polished aluminum look

some of the detail painting begins :)

that is the trailer update, more to come.....

on to the power unit, half fenders added, fuel tanks are A-Line 120 gallon -except the LH tank shortened to 80 gal.- chromed with Molotow Ink Pen, windshield fit in from a blister pack and side glass flush-mounted with gasket detail using a Sharpie pen,

the rear window is Humbrol Clearfix and the interior is in, all wheels and tires are from Athearn/A-Line and installed

a few more details to go yet, later.

Jim.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 01:27:39 PM by JJG »

JJG

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 11:49:09 PM »
changing out the wheels/tires on the trailer, the rear most axles have the Athearn/A-line wheels as opposed to the lead axle still the Promotex

here the tractor is pretty much finished, kit mirrors added, the stacks are aluminum tube with curved tips and Model Power KW T600 muffler heat shields modified to fit, Ratclifffe air horns.

the whole unit, A-Line safety stripes added

mudflaps added and rope detail painted light brown

the side profile

Now......to figure out how to add the winter panel kit.........I have an idea......let's see how it works!! Next time,

Jim.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 11:54:04 PM by JJG »

Kurt_H

• Regular Membership
    • Trucks87
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 07:03:27 AM »
Very nice truck/trailer combination, especially the trailer. From the distance the trucktractor looks also well to some degree.

The above shown Promotex wheel is a typical European drive axle wheel. Unfortunately the former Promotex wheels are no longer available, as I think.

Kurt

Wreckerman

• Regular Membership
  • 🇺🇸
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 10:59:24 AM »
Great looking rig there, for sure. 8)
The green/orange paint is an unusual combo, really turned out nice.
Move Over & Slow Down for Stopped Emergency Vehicles.
This Includes Tow Trucks and Their Operators.

JJG

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 02:14:27 AM »
Thanks Kurt and Wreckerman, Kurt, which wheels are discontinued, the standard Alcoa style that they had?? I have lots of them minus axles if you want them?

Ok, I really know NOTHING about livestock hauling or caring for the animals while in transit, so I googled it and have come up with the fact that Hogs love warmth and require winter panels when temps get cold but cattle are large animals that give off heat so they will be fine without!! Now, I didn't want to put an entire winter panel kit on as it would take away from the detail punch side, so, looking at Steve Goddard's photos I see he has several cases where just a few panels have been added, is that because it isn't too cold?? Who knows, but I like the look so this is what I have come up with.

wow, if your cut is off just by 1/64th of an inch it shows up HUGE on these pictures.......a lot of work to get this, don't think I will correct that!

maybe I will add one more row of panels to the centre of the drop section??

NOTE: My Google search also gave me some insight as to what the panels are, and they are a poly/plastic sheeting that obviously can be found in a variety of colours, they are light weight and can be locked in with these cool metal wire retainers clips so that they can be easily removed if needed.

We used to have some cattle haulers on the forum here, if there are any that want to shed some light onto the scene I would not oppose :)

Jim.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:46:38 AM by JJG »

JJG

The sun came out today for a bit so it was time to get some outdoor shots......with the sun being so low it is not the same as summer but I'll take it!!

I did add a middle row to the centre section, that is all I will do for now

close in on the LH tractor

over to the RH side

lets take a look at the side profile

and off we go........lets get a load of hogs on a cool day ::)

oops, for got to black out the exhaust tips and paint the inside of the front bumper, turnaround and go back to the shop..........thanks for lookin

Jim.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:58:14 AM by JJG »

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
That's a looker right there. :) 8) Once again excellent work Jim. 8)

Hank's Truck Forum

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs