If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Run-A-Way RAMPS  (Read 11198 times)

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
Run-A-Way RAMPS
« on: February 15, 2007, 10:38:20 AM »
Here you go jimmy......when I get time; I'll move the offenders.
What do you think....5 yard penalty? :evil:

Hank's Truck Forum

Run-A-Way RAMPS
« on: February 15, 2007, 10:38:20 AM »

DD

• Regular Membership
Re: Run-A-Way RAMPS
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 03:37:52 PM »
Sorry, but I don't understand your post. Did I miss a different thread?

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 05:57:12 PM »
Yes, there was some discussion about runaway truck ramps in Jimmy's photo album thread... it was moved here. :wink:
Class...you either have it, or you don't.

road.rascal

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 06:09:14 PM »
Well has anyone heard of the cheese slicer ?

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 01:25:13 AM »
Well has anyone heard of the cheese slicer ?

Don't leave us in suspense there RR; what's "The Cheese Slicer"?

DD

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 01:52:26 AM »
Yes, there was some discussion about runaway truck ramps in Jimmy's photo album thread... it was moved here. :wink:

Alright thanks.

road.rascal

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 07:59:30 AM »
Don't leave us in suspense there RR; what's "The Cheese Slicer"?

The cheese slicer in on the long desent into Rossland B.C , Year's ago there was a run away truck on that moutain and he held on to her almost the whole way down then in the last major corner he lost it at a very high run away speed and went right off the cliff and down the hill and through a house on the edge of Rossland and just about hit a school house, The cheese slicer is a run away lane that is 5 feet deep gravel and very thick huge steel braided cables strecthed across it up 3 - 4 feet in height with 4 feet thick cement wall's on each side just as high, the lane is about 60 feet long and by the time you get to the end your truck is cut into nothing ( cheese slicer )

Jimmy B

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 10:34:42 AM »
Here you go jimmy......when I get time; I'll move the offenders.
What do you think....5 yard penalty? :evil:

LOL Rob. Yep, that should do it! :-D

Sometime during my time at Thrifty Drug during the early 1980s they built two run-a-way ramps on the west side of I-80s Donner Pass. I'd most often stop at a road house at Baxter on trips over the "Hill" And there were the regulars at that place and one was a Caltrans worker who I often talked with during coffee.

As they built these two ramps, I watched on my weekly turn over the hill. It didn't take long to build, maybe two or three weeks. They installed all the signage for the ramps, but then covered the signs. And there they sat, for a very long time...

So after about 6 or 8 months as I sat sipping coffee and talking with that CalTrans worker, I asked; "What's the deal with the Truck Run-A-Way ramps?" He answered by telling me that they had spec'd a special pea-sized gravel for the pits on the ramps and they were having a hard time finding the gravel.

Not to long after that conversation the pits got filled with that special gravel, which as I found out later came all the way from a pit in the state of Utah. And of course the signs were un-covered and those two ramps were open for business. Well, some of those signs warned motorist NOT TO PARK by or PULL INTO THE RAMP. Well lots of folks are in their own world when they drive, so it was no surprise to find folks parked on a regular basis at the mouth of one of those ramps really often.

One night about two or three years after the ramps were opened I passed by the one just east of Baxter. And sure enough there was a woman parked at the mouth of that ramp. And right as I passed her a California Highway Patrolman pulled in behind her. Well as I explained earlier I stopped often at the Baxter Cafe, the roadhouse at it's namesake town. This was no different.

I was just finishing breakfast, and this rather attractive woman came in and sat down next to me at the counter. She looked familiar, but I could place her...Anyway before I knew it she'd gotten my attention and started talking about the ticket she'd just gotten for parking on the freeway. I said, oh, you were the lady parked by the truck run-a-way ramp? She said yes, and went on and on about the ticket and was just not very happy at all.

After about 5 minutes of listening to her, I finally had had enough and turned and said, didn't you see the NO PARKING signs, I'm sure if you'd pulled forward of the ramp, you'd not gotten that ticket lady...got up and paid for my Breakfast, the waitress and I just couldn't help but laugh...They must have had 5 or 6 signs warning folks not to park near that ramp. Couldn't be more clear, of course you'd have to read the signs I guess...Oh, BTW she had stopped to look for something in here purse...

Jimmy B

Hayrunner

• www.westcoasthay.com
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 11:49:43 AM »
We had a "new" driver back in 79' hauling a load of railroad ties grossing around 92,000lbs "5 axles" come over the top of Whitebird Hill in northern Idaho. He hadnt quite figured out the gear down let the Jakes hold you down a hill of that size. Well at the bottom of that hill is a curve and a big bridge "a long way to the bottom", well about half way down he smelled the smoked brakes "not working at that point" and a county sheriff had blocked traffic on the other side of the bridge so he could cut the corners on the way down, the curve before the bridge is a 45 or 50 mph, the sheriff clocked that F model Mack at 127 mph. The driver swears to this day that the whole left side wheels were off the ground as he made the curve, the strap winches on the side of the flatbed actually broke the welds and snapped a few off but never lost a tie, his life or his wife and unborn son. The Cummins bc3 did blow 3 days later though. They soon added the run away ramps soon after that. 
"CHANGE 08" What the hell is the world comin' to. Sheriff Bufford T. Justice

CACHman

• Rob Archer for Prime Minister of Canada!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 02:47:34 PM »
My thing with truck ramps is that the ones I saw in Pennsylvania and Tennessee were just little hills made out of grass, no gravel.  Now if you got a heavy truck goin pretty fast, and up the ramp, won't it come back down INTO TRAFFIC.  Something that I never understood.

CACHman

• Rob Archer for Prime Minister of Canada!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 02:48:19 PM »
Me, as one of the offenders, I prefer the unsportsman like conduct penalty for 15. :wink:

Jimmy B

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 02:52:52 PM »
I certainly remember "Whitebird" and the bridge over Whitebird Creek. Wish I'd stopped to take photos there, its just a spectatular view from the top looking down.  I used to travel that road weekly, enjoying every minute of it.  There was a Cafe, not to far from Whitebird about 2 or 3 miles, would have dinner there sometimes, can't remember the name of the place.

Jimmy B
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 02:54:56 PM by Jimmy B »

Hayrunner

• www.westcoasthay.com
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 02:56:07 PM »
Hoots Cafe :-D
"CHANGE 08" What the hell is the world comin' to. Sheriff Bufford T. Justice

Jimmy B

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »
Hoots Cafe :-D

I guess, to many years....

This was the banana belt down by the river, if I didn't get a motel in Grangeville I'd head down into the canyon to sleep, because in the winter it would be 20 or 30 degrees warmer in it.

Jimmy B

Wee Willy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 12:50:47 AM »
One of the company drivers, at a company I once worked for, was in the Blue Ridge or Smokey mtns, on a road he had never driven before, and he had one of his honeys, or a lady hitchhiker with him, and she wasn't authorized to be in the truck.

Apparently he misjudged the hill, and the truck started to get away from him, and not knowing what was ahead, he told the woman to jump.

The truck was just approaching 30 MPH when she jumped, and he stayed with the truck and rode it out.
A bit furthur down the hill, after going around a couple of curves, he spots a run off ramp, drives the truck into it and gets stopped safely.

He then jumps out of the truck, and runs back up the hill to help his lady friend.
The woman wasn't hurt too badly, but she broke a wrist, and had a lot of scrapes, bruises, and road rash, and most likely some stiffness for awhile.

I think he got canned after that, most likely legalities, but I can't remember.
The first rule of the road is:
"If anything can happen, at any time, it will!"

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 12:50:47 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs