If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Heavy Haul-ish...  (Read 355 times)

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
Heavy Haul-ish...
« on: August 04, 2019, 11:50:21 AM »

A 245D CAT from last weekend...

And a PC800 Komatsu from this weekend...

If I may be so bold to say, for a 28 year old punk kid with a funny haircut, I think I'm doing okay.

Thanks to all on Hank's who, over the years, have helped me along. Whether it was mechanical knowledge, business experience, or simply encouragement, I wouldn't be where I am today without those who helped.

Troy.
Your friendly neighborhood vegan heavy haul punk.

"Suzie-Q"

IMAGES COPYRIGHT TROY MILLER/ 10-4 MAGAZINE

Contributor 10-4 Magazine

Hank's Truck Forum

Heavy Haul-ish...
« on: August 04, 2019, 11:50:21 AM »

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
Re: Heavy Haul-ish...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 06:49:24 PM »
Looking Good Troy!
Is the Peterbilt your latest heavy hauler?

IowaSuperTrucker

• Regular Membership
    • http://truckinboy.slickpic.com/gallery/
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 06:55:18 PM »
Cool gig...I think its safe to say, a lot of us folks, both old and young look up to you and everything you've been through!  I've been kind of following your adventures on Facebook when you pop up on others pages, like McFarland, etc.  Keep up the good work, and as always, thanks for sharing your adventures on here!

Wee Willy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 06:07:19 AM »
Our little truck driver, all growed up and on his own, makes me want to cry. :'(

You done real good Troy, top of the heap, made us proud to know you. 8)

(it's a long way to the top)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wETR1FZj5Ec
The first rule of the road is:
"If anything can happen, at any time, it will!"

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 09:04:02 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen. It's been a trip, no doubt!

A quick jag from mid-week at 190,000lbs with a JXT jaw crusher...

In other news, I hit a personal milestone on Sarurday. As some may recall, I lost a significant amount of weight. When I started, I tipped the scales at 232.2lbs. On Saturday, I stepped on the scale and weighed in at... 132.2lbs. 100-pounds lost.

Troy.

"Suzie-Q"

Douglass-2011

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 09:54:41 AM »
Good job man. I hope you stopped smoking too. ;D

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 10:06:18 AM »
Quit smoking and haven't had soda, energy drinks, or alcohol in a year and a half.

"Suzie-Q"

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 01:30:09 PM »
Wow congrats on the serious weight loss Troy. Have you found it hard to maintain since you hit what I assume is your goal weight? Also curious if driving for a living has made it easier or more difficult.

I just started counting calories a month ago and I'm down 12 lbs from my SW of 244. I'm staying under 1900 a day and trying to keep my macros of sodium/fat in line, mostly by eating lots of greens and rice with chicken. Gonna be a little harder this week though as Wed-Sat I'll be in Dallas trying out some of that famous Texas and west coast cuisine. I wish I could cut out sugar from my diet the way I cut out soda, it'll be 10 years this Thanksgiving since my last soda. For now just trying to exercise portion control when I do indulge.

BTW nice shot of your rig and that rock crusher. Why don't you come over to the east coast sometime lol.

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 01:41:01 PM »
Back in the day (1978 @ age 33) I went from 237 down to 70 in about 4 months. Started running 3 miles a day & cut out snacks & beer until I lost the weight. After I did as long as I ran 3 miles a day I could eat & drink anything I wanted & maintain. I also went up to 175 when people started questioning me if I had a terminal illness......truth is the extra 5 pounds made me look better. 100 pounds is a lot Troy.....just stay healthy my friend.

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 06:14:03 PM »
I'm more or less at my maintenance weight these days. I levitate in the low-to-mid 130s. Though I haven't barimetrically weighed to have my body fat percentage determined, an estimate is low teens, my BMI calculates about 19.5.

My work is immensely physical, so, the trucking I do helps me stay in shape. I don't go to the gym to run or bike. When you're slinging half in chain all day, humping 2in thick solid oak outrigger boards and the like, your job is your gym.

Partsman- a few days off won't kill you, certainly won't add enough calories in the long run to impact your weight loss. Just return to your diet end of the trip.

Troy.

"Suzie-Q"

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 03:26:43 PM »

An EC700 Volvo heavy excavator from this last weekend, coming in at 195,000lbs gross, 15ft wide and 14ft 6in tall.

Aside from doing a lot of the heavy work these days (typically you'll find me under the 3-1, 3-1 with a short jeep, or one of the big trailers multiple times a week), Gary has also trained me to do quite a bit of the other specialized work. We have a Landoll-type tilt-deck trailer with a winch. Unless there is a scheduling conflict, virtually any recovery work any longer is given to me. He's taught me quite a bit about working with snatch blocks, off-setting pulls, how to turn equipment or objects with the rigging, etc.

This 40ft container was a fun one. Had to lift out of mud, and drag it onto the slider (ours does not have the guides for containers like some purpose-built do), on uneven terrain and with a lot of the weight to the downhill side of the trailer. It was an exercise in patience keeping an eye on a lot of physics and factors when dragging steel on steel.

I still do a lot of the specialized dovetail work, as well. This particular customer, who specializes in urban and confined-space demolition jobs, has gotten to the point of asking for me any time he needs his 200 Hitachi hauled. It may not be the biggest machine I work with, but, I enjoy his hauls because it almost always involves some complex maneuvering to get in, out, or both. Russ, the owner of the machine, is a small businessman, as well, and I like knowing I'm supporting a small business.

Gary has also been sending me after a lot of the machines where there isn't an "SOP" as to how it's loaded or determing where to place it to scale. Both of these drills had unusual or uneven weight distribution. He's taught me to "read" a machine as it tracks to help determine lateral weight distribution, along with watching the break-over to determine longitudinal weight distribution.

If you know where the center-of-weight end-to-end is on a machine, in conjunction with the points of weight distribution on a given trailer, you can pretty readily place a machine where it will scale out. Side-to-side is a matter of some judgment unless you have an exact mark on the lateral weight distribution or you're craning a piece on, in which case you watch the rigging.

This 450 was a particularly fun challenge. It involved several factors, namely side-sloping onto the trailer as well as a slipping final drive. The jobsite didn't have a bit of even terrain to it (emergency bridge repair job), and the far side (in the photo) final was burning out. The near side track would run normally, while the far side track would run at about a tenth of the other track's pace.

Setting the finals to the back (SOP when loading a heavy excavator) put my bad final on the uphill side of the trailer. This allowed me to basically push the excavator uphill rather than fighting the bad track slipping on the downhill side. Off-setting the machine to the uphill side and then giving the machine a bit of a shimmy and push uphill with the good track allowed me to drift it into a centered position on the trailer once I was fully on the deck. Chain her down, measure out and haul a**.

Troy. 

"Suzie-Q"

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 03:29:37 PM »

The other drill, since for some reason it won't let me modify the post.

"Suzie-Q"

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 03:29:37 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs