If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Heavy Haul-ish...  (Read 908 times)

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
Re: Heavy Haul-ish...
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2019, 02:12:50 PM »
Nice shots Troy, you really get some unique hauls out there.

I'm still trying to learn your terminology lol, I basically refer to everything as a heavy haul on a lowboy.

Quote from: coloradogreen
A Gomaco 2800 slipform paver on our six-pack with the deck extension but no jeep.

When you say six-pack are you referring to the 2-2-2 axle arrangement? I'm thinking the deck extension means splitting the deck and adding an extension bracket in the middle for longer loads, and the jeep refers to the 2 axle thing with the 5th wheel between the truck and trailer so there's an easier turning radius?

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2019, 02:12:50 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2019, 03:01:04 PM »
You're right on the money, PartsMan. We've referred to our 2+2+2 as the "six pack" as long as I can recall. It has a modular deck, meaning the deck and rear frame are not a single unit, but can be split apart and have extensions inserted. And, yes, a "jeep" refers to the small "trailer" up front with the two additional axles.

We actually kept the jeep off for that haul because we didn't need the weight capacity, we did, however, need the deck-space. Typically we would haul that Gomaco on our stretch-lowboy, but, that was tied-up at the time with another haul.

With the jeep on and the deck extension in, the 2+2+2 becomes a monstrosity of a trailer to make a turn with. You're 125-ft long and have nearly 50ft between the last axle of the jeep and the lead axle of the main-deck.
Your friendly neighborhood vegan heavy haul punk.

"Suzie-Q"

IMAGES COPYRIGHT TROY MILLER/ 10-4 MAGAZINE

Contributor 10-4 Magazine

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2019, 03:07:19 PM »

I transported the 2800's big brother, a Gomaco GP4000 for the same customer a few months back. This one has the paving-head removed. It gives an idea of the length of the 2+2+2 with the deck extension installed along with the jeep.

To give an idea of turning radius, making a turn onto a single-lane on-ramp with about 2.5ft of shoulder on each side (a standard lane is 12ft wide, so, I had approximately 17ft of pavement side-to-side to work with, required swinging about 4.5 lanes out from the turn to ensure the rear of the trailer cleared the inside of the turn.

Troy.
Your friendly neighborhood vegan heavy haul punk.

"Suzie-Q"

IMAGES COPYRIGHT TROY MILLER/ 10-4 MAGAZINE

Contributor 10-4 Magazine

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2019, 03:07:19 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs