If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Trainworx 40-ft Bulk Tank Trailer  (Read 236 times)

cfritschle

• Regular Membership
Trainworx 40-ft Bulk Tank Trailer
« on: July 14, 2019, 09:08:41 PM »
The initial “revealing” of the tooling for the Trainworx 40-ft bulk tank trailer was at the 2014 NMRA National Train Show in Cleveland. The following year, the pre-production sample was included in the display of new vehicle models on the Trainworx table of the 2015 NSE convention in Sacramento. And, Pat had artwork for potential paint schemes for the tankers at the 2016 NSE convention Kansas City.

However, at the 2018 NSE convention Salt Lake City, as well as the 2019 NSE convention Chicago, Trainworx had several undecorated trailer kits for sale, including a kit for the tank trailer. The model shown below was purchased at the 2018 convention, and it took me a year to get around to building it! However, while the factory painted and assembled version will look much better, I thought some out there might be interested in knowing the trailer is for real. And, I am hoping that Pat will be able to schedule its production at the new factory in the not too distant future.

Carter
N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale vehicles and equipment"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NScaleVehicleAssociation/

Hank's Truck Forum

Trainworx 40-ft Bulk Tank Trailer
« on: July 14, 2019, 09:08:41 PM »

JJG

Re: Trainworx 40-ft Bulk Tank Trailer
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 09:24:48 PM »
Oh that is awesome, with the Trainworx reputation, it is not disappointing from what can be seen !!  Great to see one with the internal frame ! If you have some photos of the rear view, that would be great, now just to get one in 1/87 scale would be grand!

Jim.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 09:26:21 PM by JJG »

cfritschle

• Regular Membership
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 07:22:55 PM »
Jim,

Thank you!  This is the best I could come up with, and keep everything more or less in focus.

The taillights were made by drilling shallow holes 0.025 inches in diameter, and then "filled" with Tamiya Clear Red paint.  They look OK when viewed under normal conditions.  However, they are rather washed out in the photo, which was taken indoors with a flash.

The factory decorated models will most likely have pad printed taillights.  And, I have not been able to find any N scale "reflective stripe" decals for the back of the tank.

Carter
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 07:24:56 PM by cfritschle »

JJG

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 10:19:03 PM »
Thanks Carter, for that scale, awesome!! Most 1/87 scale units aren't much better, great job! Can't think of the size diameter right now but if you want to do clearance lights at the back, they usually have a group of three in the top centre of the tank, these are often placed on a bracket or flat mount to outer tank skin. I use the smaller round stock and slice "cookies" off the rod, then carefully place them on the thin plastic strip or sheet, file to flatten and level them out, and then you could detail them in aluminum or black (rubber mount) and glue them in place. That might be a tad much for that scale though, I have never worked with N and just know it is small!!!

Jim

cfritschle

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 08:43:33 PM »
Jim,

Thank you for the suggestion of adding clearance lights to back of the trailer.  I might already have something on hand that will work.  The Showcase Miniatures etched stainless steel mud flap fret includes light bars!  https://www.showcaseminiatures.net/n_scale/n_scale_vehicle_details/57.html  If you click on the photo on the Showcase website, it will be enlarged enough so that you can actual see the detail of the light bars.

I do plan to add a decal license plate to the trailer, but clearance lights would be really cool! 

Carter

JJG

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 10:01:17 PM »
Great detail item Carter, that would work well! Those lights are so small, even for 1/87 I have to do several attempts often just to get it right.

Jim

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 10:01:17 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs