If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Ford Tilt-Cab Brakes barely work.  (Read 415 times)

danpeanuts

• Regular Membership
Ford Tilt-Cab Brakes barely work.
« on: July 04, 2019, 05:32:02 PM »
Does anyone have an idea what to do with my 1962 Ford Fire Truck?  The brakes will slowly stop the truck when you push with all your might.  We've changed the master cylinder and bled it as well as all 6 wheel cylinders.  Don't know what to try next.

Hank's Truck Forum

Ford Tilt-Cab Brakes barely work.
« on: July 04, 2019, 05:32:02 PM »

Heatnbeat

• Regular Membership
Re: Ford Tilt-Cab Brakes barely work.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 07:19:38 AM »
Not sure I can help you, but.....
If you have a hard solid pedal I don't think more bleeding will help. Air would make it spongy..
I assume it must have a brake assist system of some sort.  Is there a booster mounted somewhere underneath on the frame? If it's a vacum unit does it have vacuum ?  I never worked on old big stuff but If I recall right from seeing them it was sort of a master cyl/ slave cylinder setup. Your foot worked a primary master cyl on the booster, and that worked a secondary cylinder on the booster. The booster was responsible for supplying braking force.
Probably not much help but just in case......
Good Luck!

Jim Herriot

• Regular Membership
  • ........who?........
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 09:21:34 AM »
  I never worked on old big stuff but If I recall right from seeing them it was sort of a master cyl/ slave cylinder setup. Your foot worked a primary master cyl on the booster, and that worked a secondary cylinder on the booster. The booster was responsible for supplying braking force.

...u nailed it. :)...basic principles are the same. ;D...small or large. 8)..."big stuff" components just weigh more...Jim. ;)

https://www.fleet-products.ca/categories/Hydrovacs/Bendix/
...duties and obligations, before pleasures and desires...

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 09:21:34 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs