If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: NEW 1:87 Diecast GM PD4104 Buses - WOW!  (Read 754 times)

MiniTruckNut

• Regular Membership
NEW 1:87 Diecast GM PD4104 Buses - WOW!
« on: June 19, 2019, 11:21:39 AM »
Nice new releases Greyhound, Trailways, Gray Coach of Canada, Peter Pan of Santa Rita - gorgeous and nicely detailed!

Click to see and order: https://bit.ly/2XYZm8P

Hank's Truck Forum

NEW 1:87 Diecast GM PD4104 Buses - WOW!
« on: June 19, 2019, 11:21:39 AM »

JJG

Re: NEW 1:87 Diecast GM PD4104 Buses - WOW!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 09:41:53 PM »
Yeah, those look pretty good don't they?

Jim.

hwyhaulier

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 10:53:57 AM »
Lodge Members - Seasoned Folks Who Rode Them -

Very Nice! Can't read detail with carrier info, but... The GREYHOUND replica appears based on
an EASTERN GL unit. And then, in the era wherein use of an alpha prefix had been ended.
Earlier it would have been E-xxxx.

The TRAILWAYS interesting. Marked CAP-098, which that of a CAPITOL TRAILWAYS (Penna) unit.
Perhaps, instead replica would be marked for CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS (CTS - Texas). In the era,
the line began use of the import EAGLE coaches.

Thanks for the memories...   Vern

ajtruck

• Regular Membership
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 06:15:28 PM »
I started my legal driving career with Trailways in 1972 and drove plenty 4104's.  The signs on the Capitol units have some rounding on the letters.  Most of the other divisions (can't remember how many there were in the Trailways system) were more conventional.  I've got to get one of those.  Thanks for the post!

hwyhaulier

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 08:47:59 AM »
I started my legal driving career with Trailways in 1972 and drove plenty 4104's.  The signs on the Capitol units have some rounding on the letters.  Most of the other divisions (can't remember how many there were in the Trailways system) were more conventional.  I've got to get one of those.  Thanks for the post!
ajtruck - Lodge Members -

Recall, the TRAILWAYS System began in 1936. Early on there was a "group of five" (more or less) which set system objectives. It on the record a large Eastern Area with its member of SAFEWAY TRWS (Washington DC based). On the West, members SANTA FE, and BURLINGTON, and both subs of the two named railroads. Somewhere along the Trailways, influence of CONTINENTAL BUS SYSTEM (Jackson MS based). Into the 1950s, CTS acquired the (long haul transcon) AMERICAN BUS LINES Lincoln NE based, ABL.

Two points here? First, the rounded lettering on instant CAP 4104. The MODERNE style logo apparently seen shortly upon the start of TWYS System. And, second with the 1972 experiences, at about that time, CTS also acquired SAFEWAY.

The CTS System, and considering ABL, did rely heavily on the PD-4104 types. By time of 1972 (and IIR) CTS did acquire the Eagle 1 on many routes, too. So that in your own service, you were on CTS payroll? (Depends on where you were based?

Vern

ajtruck

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 06:52:52 AM »
Pine Hill-Kingston Bus Corp. began operating in the 1920s and by the time started driving for them in 1972 it had been acquired by Adirondack Trailways, although is was kept as a separate division Pine Hill Trailways.  I know that Deluxe (was that in Chicago?) was smaller, but Pine Hill was at least one of the smallest.  Pine Hill operated from Kingston, NY and the line schedule was from NYC to Cooperstown, NY.  While I was there it expanded north to Utica, NY  They ran charters and tours nationwide.  In fact I was gone for two months one summer on a single tour.  I think that was the longest they ever did.  In later years, when coach numbering became nationally coded, Pine Hill's buses were numbered 72xxx.  We frequently drove Adirondack equipment (62xxx).  That was a respectably sized outfit so there were quite a few different models in the fleet.  Can't remember the 2 oldest in the fleet...GMs, but before the Silver Side, they were painted.  A number of 4104s and 4106s. Quite a few Eagles and MC7s.  They had some single axle 4905s which were very uncomfortable to operate and to ride in...rough ride and the engine vibration was noticeable everywhere in the bus.  When I left to go trucking in 1978 they had begun to order some MC8s, but none had been delivered while I was there.
I just got the Trailways model.  The description didn't give any dimensions and I didn't think to check the ratio before ordering so it is a little smaller (no...a lot smaller) than I might have wished, 4 3/4 OAL.  But the detail is superb.  Wipers, marker lights, mirrors, 3 piece rear window along with the "National Trailways System" maps. They've even included the expanded metal panel on the left side covering the A/C engine compartment.  Not sure how I'd answer the question "Is it worth the price".  The memories that it brings back every time I look at it harder is worth something and if they came out with a 4106 and/or an Eagle I'd probably feel compelled to get them as well.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 06:52:52 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs