If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: GMC 7500 Spreader Truck  (Read 833 times)

DRIPTROIT 71

• Regular Membership
GMC 7500 Spreader Truck
« on: June 16, 2019, 05:16:07 PM »
This one was built out of junk, Evergreen Styrene, and Plastruct. The resin cab was terrible with several spots that were not cured fully. The engine is a 6v-53 Detroit. The bed and interior are scratch built.

IMG_1390 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

IMG_1380 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

IMG_1373 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

IMG_1362 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

IMG_1359 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

IMG_1355 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

Hank's Truck Forum

GMC 7500 Spreader Truck
« on: June 16, 2019, 05:16:07 PM »

JJG

Re: GMC 7500 Spreader Truck
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 09:57:59 PM »
Very unique and well executed build out of what you had to start with Brian! I have a casting from Jim Etter of that same model from the early 80's, picked it right up from his B61 mobile home in McConnelsburg PA back in the day. He was a very cool dude!!
Mine has the pewter grille with the dual headlights in the centre of the grille.

Back to yours though, it is a perfect build for one that has issues. Sometimes they just can't be restored to be perfect. Did you get the hood to open up?  Great job as usual!!

Jim

DRIPTROIT 71

• Regular Membership
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 09:30:01 AM »
Very unique and well executed build out of what you had to start with Brian! I have a casting from Jim Etter of that same model from the early 80's, picked it right up from his B61 mobile home in McConnelsburg PA back in the day. He was a very cool dude!!
Mine has the pewter grille with the dual headlights in the centre of the grille.

Back to yours though, it is a perfect build for one that has issues. Sometimes they just can't be restored to be perfect. Did you get the hood to open up?  Great job as usual!!

Jim

Thanks Jim. No I didn't open the hood on this one. I'm not sure who cast this one but it must have been a second. I bought a pair them off of Ebay. The other cab looked better, but the resin was swirly and not mixed well. To make a long story short, the paint reacted with the improperly mixed resin and became soft in several places and wouldn't even let the paint fully cure in those places. This cab was already full of soft spots. Since stripping the other cab wasn't an option as it was already full of soft spots, I soaked all the soft spots on this cab with super glue and when it dried, I went to work. I did use the passenger windshield post out of the other cab, because this one was goo.

Here is what this cab looked like when I began.

IMG_0419 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

JJG

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 09:34:22 PM »
Oh that IS bad, crazy!! You certainly did well to get it to look like it does!

Jim
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 06:10:47 PM by JJG »

Alain Bradet

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 09:56:57 AM »
Wow beautiful job. I had a contract to make a Brigadier. I stopped because the client did not pay me. Is it a resin?

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 03:09:19 PM »

Spent some time in a couple of those, years ago.
Still hear the ringing from the 6V-53!

Looks like the casting was a rip-off from an original Jim Etter item.

Nice build.
Right-wing Old School.

Oso2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 11:30:01 PM »
I can smell it from here!
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

DRIPTROIT 71

• Regular Membership
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 05:31:25 PM »
Thanks for all of the comments guys!

I haven't been here for a while because there is something going on with my browser not allowing me to access this site. I actually was able to sort of stumble in here by accident from an outside link.

Yes Alain it is resin and terrible quality. I'm not sure who the caster was. It is from the same origin as the A.I.T.M. cab, but this was definitely not an A.I.T.M. cab.

Thanks again everyone!

Brian

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 05:31:25 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs