If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: The Future of Hank's Truck Forum  (Read 970 times)

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
The Future of Hank's Truck Forum
« on: April 14, 2019, 06:00:59 PM »
I've been planning to do this post for a while now, but life got in the way and I held it off longer than I anticipated. Now I'm glad I waited, as with Hank's Truck Pictures becoming no more recently it feels like a more appropriate time to have this discussion, although it doesn't have much to do with the other site.

First of all, I am officially announcing that I am leaving Hank's Truck Forum.  I've been pretty silent here the last few months so it won't feel like a big difference here, but I don't want to just vanish without explaining why.  I'm not deleting my account, nor am I taking down any of my pictures (for now), but once this discussion is finished I will no longer be making any posts on this forum.  Feel free to PM me about anything; I see the PMs in my email, and while I may not get to you right away I will make sure to respond. 

There are two distinct reasons why I am choosing to leave now.  The first is the ongoing decline of Hank's Truck Forum.  This is by far my biggest reason for leaving.  The forum has been in decline for many years now, ever since I became a member here about four years ago, but in the past year it has gotten to the point where I don't feel that it's worth my while anymore.  I understand that there are still a couple people here who enjoy my pictures, but my choice to leave really isn't about me and less response to my posts.  It is simply that there isn't much of anything happening here now, and while I still visit every now and then to see what's up, being on this site a lot day to day gets to be a drag.

My other reason is a different life situation from when I first joined while I was in high school.  Nothing bad, but just different, but I actually had barely taken any truck pictures in 2018 except for my visit to MATS.  Shortly after graduating high school I got a full time job delivering truck parts across the region, a job which I am still working now, and plan to do so for about another year until I hope to get a CDL .  My new hours make it difficult to get any decent truck picture session in at a time when there is enough activity to make it worth my time, but that's not all of it.  With this job, I'm on the road for a few hours each day and seeing countless trucks each day on my drives, plus being around them quite a bit (although I never work directly with them) at the dealership I work at, and the places I deliver to.  I like the job, but being around so many trucks I guess you could say I've been desensitized to them in a way.  It's not that I have lost my love for trucks or anything, but when I see enough of them at work it doesn't feel so special to go out and spend even more time watching them.  With that being said, I haven't completely given up on taking truck pictures; I might still try and find a couple opportunities this year, but nothing like I used to.  I enjoy looking back through my old pics from a couple years ago.  So much has changed since then that it really feels nostalgic looking through them today.  Which brings me to...

What will become of all my pictures.  I still have quite a few pics from 2017 that I never got around to posting here, and of course now that I am leaving the forum, those pics nor any pics that I will take in the future will be seen here.  I'm not sure how much longer I will keep my Slickpic account open, because the only thing I ever used it for was so I could post pics here, but considering the state of the forum and that my Slickpic is a paid account, I don't know that I want to keep paying for a service I don't use anymore just so my old pictures could sit here indefinitely.  And Photobucket changes have been causing problems again - I think I came across someone posting here about Photobucket issues recently, and I know the reason for that.  A couple weeks ago I got an email saying my Photobucket account has been restricted because it is exceeding a new storage limit on free accounts.  At one point last year Photobucket had made all the images under free accounts that had been restricted with all the BS two years ago visible again, but it looks like that is no longer once again.  With all that being said,  I am seriously thinking about setting up a Flickr account (which I believe is free).  I know some members already have them, and that way my pictures don't completely disappear from the internet.  I will make sure to update you guys when I make such changes.

I also wanted to discuss a little about the future (or lack thereof) of Hank's Truck Forum.  I know this is going to be really unpopular, but I think we need to just do away with the forum.  I get that there are a couple people here who still seem to be committed to keeping the forum alive, but it's a lost cause to me.  I'm sure there are hosting costs here just like Hank's Truck Pictures, although I have no idea what is involved with all of that.  And even if that part is not an issue, I think we all need to take a good hard look at if itís worth keeping, and with the main site gone, now might be a good time to finish off the forum as well.  Thatís my suggestion anyway; obviously I donít make the decisions around here but I really think that needs consideration too.  Itís been fun while it lasted, but now is the sad end of that era.

Hank's Truck Forum

The Future of Hank's Truck Forum
« on: April 14, 2019, 06:00:59 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
Re: The Future of Hank's Truck Forum
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 06:27:33 PM »
Best of luck to whatever your future holds Iowa, you ain't gotta make excuses as life is always ever-changing. Don't waste your time on Flickr btw, they got bought out by SmugMug and the new CEO/whatever decided being a community based around photography wasn't good enough and profits needed to go up, so now you only get 1k pictures on a free account and unlimited pictures on a Pro account (50/year). I am tired of seeking hosts so I took the discount on the day they made the announcement and paid 35 for my first year of a Pro subscription.

Anyways, regardless of what you choose to do with your shots in the future I hope everything works out for you. We all know Hank's isn't what it used to be and there isn't any easy answers at this stage but I'll be here as long as the doors stay open. I could stop taking photos today and have such a backlog to work through it would keep me occupied for another couple years lol.

I also understand what you mean about getting burnt out by seeing trucks every day, and I'm at a similar stage in that my daily exposure to trucks has made me more picky/choosy about what to shoot. When I started it was all about shooting every truck just to capture a piece of history, now it's about shooting trucks that I find interesting for whatever reason.

Anyways, if this is the last we talk, best of luck & take care.

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 06:09:37 PM »
Thank you.  It has been great sharing pics, information, and whatnot on here these last few years, but those times are gone now.  I appreciate the tips on Flickr, however I'm still seriously considering starting an account anyway.  That's too bad they're not free anymore, however especially as I won't keep my Slickpic around for too much longer it would be nice to still have a way for people to see my pics, and Flickr is the only decent option I can think of.  I know of a couple forum members that already have Flickr accounts with a substantial amount of content that I enjoy looking at every now and then - I'm especially thinking of yourself, Jon_G and tnsamiam.  So at this point Flickr seems like the best way for me to move forward with this hobby, and when I get an account set up I will make sure to let everyone here know where to find me.

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 07:05:58 PM »
10-4, add me when you sign up and I'll return the favor. You'll find they not only have a decent US based truck photo community (as well as any other vehicular interests you might have) but there are truck enthusiasts there from every corner of the globe. And there is a group for every interest over there, you can find one for different types of trucks as well as trucks in general. I'm an admin for several groups too, like moving trucks, big bunks, and the Pete 567. The one aspect it really lacks is the discussion side of things, but I still find people very approachable to discuss shots. Still, for me the main purpose is hosting, the community there is secondary (nobody there has the passion for trucks that this place has, but they do have a passionate community for police/fire apparatus, as well as planes/trains/boat shots which I also do as well). Anyways, if nothing else I hope it rekindles your enthusiasm because we'd all love to see you on here again too.

Jon_G

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 07:50:41 PM »

I feel like I should chime in here, as I myself have been absent quite a bit lately. The reasoning is somewhat similar to be honest. I started to find over the last couple of years that our traffic here was decreasing quite a lot, or at least activity as far as discussions has been on the decline. Now, I don't care how many likes or how much discussion my photos get. I take photos of transportation because it is enjoyable for me, not for anyone else. If others like my photography, then I am even happier. I don't care if I am copyrighted or if others use my photos, it's whatever, and agree or disagree, it's just the way I look at it for my own photos, but I get both sides of it. I have enjoyed being a member here, but when there are only a handful of members still actively participating in any discussion or even posting anything, it just kind of took the fun and enjoyment out of it.

In addition, much like you Iowa80, my life's schedule has taken over a lot of my free time, which is fine as I am quite happy as well, (and I am glad to hear things are going well for you), but I don't take the time I used to with posting as it just isn't as important to me as other stuff going on. And, with little activity anyway, it really just isn't a priority for me. I plan to just let my Slickpic expire, as my credit card was hacked a few weeks ago and I have not updated my info on there anyway, and I pay yearly for Flickr, so it really doesn't make much financial sense to me to spend on both, when I only really use Flickr anyway anymore. I hate to look at it this way, as this place has been great to be a member of, and I am sad to see the main site going down as well. Add me up on Flickr when you get set up, would love to see your photos continue to be shared, and hopefully you guys here keep in touch. If this place stays active, I will do my best to check in when I have time, and will try and get some more stuff uploaded to my Flickr account soon, I still have photos from the last couple of years backlogged that I am slowly getting through editing when I get some spare time. Take care all.

Jon

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 07:50:41 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs