If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: 1958 DIVCO MODEL U SLANT BACK MILK TRUCK  (Read 472 times)

JJG

1958 DIVCO MODEL U SLANT BACK MILK TRUCK
« on: June 02, 2019, 01:33:29 AM »
Since I was a kid, I have always had a fascination with the Divco Milk truck. I can remember him delivering milk to our house and in the summer time, the milk man would always allow us kids to come onto the truck while he got the milk ready, and the truck itself was unique. For some reason, we did not get it delivered very long as we went to the corner to get milk soon after -the bakery truck kept coming by years after-I can't even remember the colour of the old City Dairy trucks but green with white seems to come to mind?

There are several versions available in this scale, the first one being a Walther's solid resin cast which I knew needed to be hollowed out and still required some tweaking IMO so I passed on that one! The next one to come along was a plastic toy like from Life-Like, it didn't look too bad but somehow just never obtained one.  The most recent version is a die-cast model from American Heritage Models (AHM) and I found this too be very accurate looking and well detailed so I obtained a white one as I wanted to put my own touches to it. As it comes,

it even has a milk man figure with it, mirrors to add, pretty cool! The ones i had seen had a thick coat of paint on them so stripping it down was the way to go. The bare metal body, only one parting line to file down on the back of the roof line

I chose a 1964 GM Goldwood yellow (cream) for the upper colour, after a non-sanding epoxy sealer coat applied following it up with the colour as shown

the secondary colour is a 1964 Ford colour, Pagoda Green, which has a blue look to it. exactly what I had in mind
shown here with colour and clear coat applied and some detailing already in place

the glass that comes with the little van is inset quite a bit as the wall thickness of the body is thicker, so, I opted for flush mounted glass, both windshield halves and the side front, a time consuming detail but the results are very worth while

I still have to tidy up the windshield gasket and put the head lights back in, then I want to add some windshield wipers, maybe chrome the bumpers?? Not sure yet.

Jim.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 02:29:56 AM by JJG »

Hank's Truck Forum

1958 DIVCO MODEL U SLANT BACK MILK TRUCK
« on: June 02, 2019, 01:33:29 AM »

Heatnbeat

• Regular Membership
Re: 1958 DIVCO MODEL U SLANT BACK MILK TRUCK
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 05:04:01 AM »
That is really sweet! I enjoy the models you guys build but I haven't near that much patience.

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 05:25:06 AM »
I like this!!! :) Reminds me of one I saw at the June 2013 Macungie show....really cool. ;D

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 09:48:25 AM »
I remember Silverwoods Dairies but not the paint scheme.

JJG

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 10:37:12 AM »
Thanks guys,

Charlie, awesome shot, even the name is grand for the little beast, nicely restored.

Rob, blue hood and fenders with cream colour back body, think the wheels may have been red but not sure.

These trucks had an amazing run too, that style, released in 1937 was unchanged (except for round park/turn lamps on 1965 and up and upper wiper placement seems about the same, dropped down to the cowl), till it ended production in 1986.

Jim.

Mister TyZo

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 02:28:46 PM »
I remember Silverwoods Dairies but not the paint scheme.

Two Tone... Blue Bottom / Yellow Top..
Be Safe / Be Careful  BTB

JJG

« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 10:02:42 PM by JJG »

JJG

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 11:05:19 PM »

I haven't posted the finish of this build for whatever reason so here it is

windshield wipers have been installed, changed the mirrors to cream colour and the hubs have been painted silver (as most seem to be). I had a decal in mind for this one but I realized that somewhere between 1970ish and today I had used up all but one decal, these were from the Lindberg mail truck which had a set of decals from Sunshine Dairy. I hadn't found a 1:1 prototype when I started this build but since have found that in Portland OR, it did exist, the colour was red for the truck (even a Divco) along with the Sunshine Dairy decals, thought they would look cool with this colour.

Jim.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 11:14:12 PM by JJG »

Wreckerman

• Regular Membership
  • 🇺🇸
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 10:46:30 PM »
Cool looking little rig there, nice to see something unusual. :)
Move Over & Slow Down for Stopped Emergency Vehicles.
This Includes Tow Trucks and Their Operators.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 10:46:30 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs