If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Sohio Stop 64  (Read 528 times)

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
Sohio Stop 64
« on: May 27, 2019, 07:52:57 PM »
I think this was somewhere in Ohio but for the life of me I've never seen such a traffic jam. :o Wonder what was going on? ??? Again the amount of cabovers vs conventionals suggest the 1970s.

Hank's Truck Forum

Sohio Stop 64
« on: May 27, 2019, 07:52:57 PM »

JJG

Re: Sohio Stop 64
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 12:38:12 AM »
Interesting.........I really don't have a clue bu I'm sure there were some unhappy people that day.

Jim.

hwyhaulier

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 03:09:56 AM »
I think this was somewhere in Ohio but for the life of me I've never seen such a traffic jam. :o Wonder what was going on? ??? Again the amount of cabovers vs conventionals suggest the 1970s.

Charlie - Lodge Members -

This photo ID game a version of "Where's Waldo"? Where to start? Note a few steps away from Stop 64" building.

Note the "Cornflakes" setup. It one of the truck - Western pup trailer combinations. This a clever way to get Western pups
in and out of Baltimore (and selected other Eastern points). These dispatched at the West Richfield OH Terminal. So that
the photo at a point, near the ramps on the Interstate. Else, photo shows BEKINS and BRANCH MOTOR units on the yard,
too. Recall the CFWY (Corn Flakes) huge neon sign of the carrier. This came from its purchase of Akron Motor Cargo...

Another day in Paradise?      Vern

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 04:37:26 AM »
I wonder if this from the great Shutdown of the early 70's.
That would make the picture newsworthy enough to send a photographer in a light plane or helicopter.

charlie

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 05:06:50 AM »
That would make the picture newsworthy enough to send a photographer in a light plane or helicopter.

I'm thinking the same thing Rob. Maybe Les Nessman from WKRP in Cincinatti was covering this event. ??? ;D

hwyhaulier

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 05:20:42 AM »

Rob - Lodge Members -

What! What! Is this a trick question? Indeed! The photos may have been done from views from a local TV/ Radio Traffic Reporter.
The grain (pixel?) quality dubious (trying to be kind here). At the time, there were better cameras and film, all anyone could buy
and use.

Ohio 64 T/S? At the time, CFWY had the monster, vital break bulk at West Richfield. Other carriers with the same situation
(All States, Navajo (nee General Express) and Roadway come to mind.) Or, "Break Bulk at Akron/ Cleveland" 24/7 nut bins to
operate. SOHIO 64 where it all came together, so to serve moves on and off adjacent IH highway.

SIGH! Your wrter so old that... When signed on at CFWY at Buffalo, orientation included a trip to the AKC (West Richfield) site.
In this case, CFWY was in it much too deep. It a blessing the former AKRON MOTOR CARRIER a solid freight line...

Vern
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 05:26:58 AM by hwyhaulier »

charlie

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 05:32:06 AM »
I see Branch, Preston, CF & Bekins in the crowd. I tried counting the cabovers but gave up after a while. ;D Oh what a day to have a camera & do a little truck fanning there. :)

hwyhaulier

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 06:21:06 AM »
I see Branch, Preston, CF & Bekins in the crowd. I tried counting the cabovers but gave up after a while. ;D Oh what a day to have a camera & do a little truck fanning there. :)

Neglected to note, tho not spotted in the photo? SPECTOR and MCLEAN come to mind. SPECTOR
had acquired MID STATES; MCLEAN with the former CHICAGO EXPRESS.

Can't figure why the site shown is SOHIO 64. Where did the number originate? Surely not a mile
marker on Ohio Turnpike.

Vern

Paul Kane

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 07:24:36 AM »
That's got to be the 73-74 shutdown. 

Stop 64 was one of the stops of the Standard Oil of Ohio chain and located off 1-80 in Lamar PA.  All their locations were named for the local highway they sat along (this location was PA64) I've been meaning to put together a post on the subject of this chain but have never gotten to it.  Boron Stop 8 in Barkeyville was one of my early stomping grounds.  Both are now TA's as the Sohio locations briefly came under the ownership of Truckstops of America through this and that.

Urban legend has it that it that the whole shutdown was started by a trucker named "River Rat" pulling his rig across 80 and blocking traffic.  I'm sure the late Mike Parkhurst (Overdrive/ITA) and Jim Johnston of the OOIDA would be quick to tell you otherwise.  You can find a bit of info on him on the 'net.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 07:26:10 AM by Paul Kane »

Paul Kane

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 09:30:47 AM »
Meant to add that the trucker who initially blocked the highway did so right at Lamar, so that could very well explain the incredible amount of trucks, and also why the photo was taken.

hwyhaulier

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 11:18:47 AM »
That's got to be the 73-74 shutdown. 

Stop 64 was one of the stops of the Standard Oil of Ohio chain and located off 1-80 in Lamar PA...

Paul - Lodge Members -

Agree. I can go for that. It is the CFWY truck trailer set which aids the case. In mapping routes, AKC (West Richfield) to/from
Newark NJ and Baltimore, note this approx. 450 miles. So that: The driver on the run (AKC domicile board) would "go to bed"
in the East. Also, with the "via Lamar PA" route, avoided Penna TPK and other tolls.

Vern

charlie

• Regular Membership
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 07:35:38 PM »
Was this all a steelhauler thing? ??? Surprised to see all the LTL trucks in the photo.  :o

hwyhaulier

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 01:28:41 AM »
Was this all a steelhauler thing? ??? Surprised to see all the LTL trucks in the photo.  :o

A: Yes. In recall of your writer, it a time of discontent. The steel hauler crowd with some active members with
grievances about most anything. Might we suppose there may have been some serious rate cutting (keep in
mind this before de-regulation) which worked to touch off all of it?

Else. At the time, your writer at NAVAJO (Freight Side - LTL) at Baltimore. The line drivers were quite skittish
about working. There were reports of hot lead in the air on PA, OH, and IN Pikes. The Pikes were something
of a war zone. That's the way it was...

Vern

Paul Kane

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 06:28:25 AM »
HH, have to disagree as this one was an attempt at a national shutdown centered around independents and rising fuel costs, spearheaded in large degree by Mike Parkhurst/Overdrive Magazine/ITA (Independent Truckers Association).  There were a couple of notable steel hauler strikes, I believe spearheaded by Bill Hill of FASH (Fraternal Association of Steel Haulers) out of Pittsburgh.  One was in the late '60's, 67 or 68, and a later one I forget exactly when, probably in the '70's.  Those got pretty violent. 

There was some great coverage on the 73-74 strike in Overdrive.  I've seen the issues but never was able to get my hands on a personal copy.  I didn't get a full subscription until the mid 70's.  Was pretty young back then.

Parkhurst also attempted strikes in 79 and 83, but neither reached the scale of the 73 strike.

https://www.history.com/news/oil-crisis-1973-truck-strike

https://thehistorybandits.com/2015/10/15/let-them-truckers-roll-10-4-americas-fleeting-folk-heroes-and-the-trucker-convoys-of-the-1970s/
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 06:35:55 AM by Paul Kane »

tery

• Regular Membership
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 07:50:28 AM »
I started driving in 1975 and went through 3 "shut downs" probably 79 & 83 that sounds about right . The 3rd one kind of fizzled out due to lack of interest . They were started by owner operators over fuel prices and low rates . Overdrive magazine was running stories in 79 . In 83 some loudmouth driver in Ohio (I think) was acting like he was in charge and newspapers & TV were interviewing him . The whole thing was mostly run by drivers talking on the CB ! There was NO national leadership or lobbyist in State or National government . The Teamsters union was the only organazation who had that kind of power and control and they did not support the shutdown . All companies that I know of told their company drivers to run . I do know of a driver who had two young children that was shot and killed in North Carolina . I dont think that his murderer was ever caught ? I was never threatened  but I tried to get off the road by dark . I did see a few drivers in the truck stops who had their king pins pulled and dropped their trailers on the ground when they pulled out .
Truck stops would call the police and a tow truck after a few hours to keep their fuel pumps and driveway open if they had to .
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 01:58:41 PM by tery »
__________ In memory of drivers __________
 Red Ball , Georgia Fox , Yardbird , Diamond Doll

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 07:50:28 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs