If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Auto Haulaway  (Read 775 times)

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
Re: Auto Haulaway
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2019, 08:50:30 AM »
Classy looking rig....you can always write another book Dick. ;D

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2019, 08:50:30 AM »

charlie

• Regular Membership
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2019, 12:02:31 PM »
JJG
 Is this the photo of cars you saw vertically stacked? ??? That is nuts!!! :o

pacarhauler

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2019, 12:14:02 PM »
When I wrote my book, Chas, the publisher actually paid me an advance and a share of the sales. Today, they don't pay much for trucking-related books. The number of books pumped out by two or three authors in a short time saturated the market. Some recent books were done for a small percentage of the profit not sales. When Ron Adams did his Mack book, Mack demanded a royality and it took most of the profit. See my posts on Flickr and it is better than a book. Stack-pak; Southern Pacific and GM brainstorm, only lasted a while. Look in the background of your photo. Cadillacs are loaded into containers that was also an SP/GM project.

JJG

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2019, 10:24:10 PM »
Yes, that is the pic I had seen, I thought it was a joke at first but it happened!! Seems like more work then it's worth really, I guess they may have nearly doubled the amount of cars transported?

Jim

pacarhauler

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2019, 05:19:25 AM »
Another load of Dodge vans but a Ford F-series tractor this time. New Boston, MI, 1990.
Ford F-Series: Auto Haulaway by Dick Copello, on Flickr

JJG

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2019, 10:46:32 PM »
What a catch Dick, imagine, selling that shot to Ford (for to advertise the F 750 truck brochure and you could cash in on Chrysler for the van brochure ::)

Jim.

pacarhauler

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2019, 04:20:12 AM »
Chrysler "LH" cars in Windsor in 1996. This is another Brigadier with the odd grille. By this time (1996), many of the A-H trucks were repainted in Allied green and white.
GMC Auto Haulaway #3585 by Dick Copello, on Flickr

pacarhauler

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2019, 02:55:37 PM »
Another Brigadier and another with the odd grille. Same time and place as the previous photo. This is an old Maris-Mcallam truck that A_H acquired in the take over. Only six Fords, might be a backhaul from the USA and limited by Union Contract.
GMC; Auto Haulaway #3509 by Dick Copello, on Flickr

charlie

• Regular Membership
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2019, 03:08:00 PM »
Can you explain the limitation you mentioned & any other goodies re the union contracts in force during those times? ???

pacarhauler

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2019, 05:30:20 PM »
Charlie: I'm only guessing on this load but when carriers hauled cars from Canada to Detroit or visa versa, they often returned empty. At times the unions would agree that they could back haul units but only on a one to one basis. This load may have offset a six-car load of trucks or suv going the other way. As a non-union "contractor", I sometimes hauled Subarus for a union hauler. They paid me a handling fee plus mileage per car. I did short trips that the union drivers didn't want but because of the handling fee, I made money. Some days I'd haul two loads and load a third, sometimes loads that weren't ever put on the board and offered to company drivers. If they found out, they could raise hell and file a grievance. The shop steward once complained that I hauled more cars than the bottom two company trucks for the month. At the time, Swift was courting Subaru and he said it was better letting me pickup the work they couldn't handle than loose all of it to Swift. Three months later, Swift bid the work and took it over.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2019, 01:09:24 PM »
So, did Allied Automotive Group take on Auto Haulaway's business?
Here is one from June 15 2005.
The truck is delivering to a Ford dealer in MIssissauga.

pacarhauler

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2019, 02:32:19 PM »
In the 1980's, in the US, there was "the Motor Convoy" (green trucks) in atlanta and the "Auto Convoy" in Dallas, both Ford carriers. They merged to form "allied Systems. Auto Haulaway took over Maris and McCallum in the 90's and then Allied bought A-H. By 1996, about half the fleet was repainted green and white. In 1997, Allied bought Ryder and they went down hill immediately. Much of the old US equipment went north and the whole Canadian operation became Allied Canada. When Allied and the Unions in the US could not agree on concessions, the whole thing went up. Most of the equipment was worn out but Jack Cooper bought some trucks and a few are still running. Union car hauling was a great job on both sides of the border but the Companies and Unions couldn't cooperate on holding costs down and now non-union companies are getting a big chunk of the new car business.  Look at this A-H IH I shot in 1996. This was a new truck leased by AUTO CONVOY in 1986. It was built by Escott to haul Nissans out of the new plant in TN. Escott also built a fleet of fifth wheel 48 foot trailers for Dixie Transport, also to haul the Nissans. Dixie had no money and the trailers were leased from PLM, the railcar leasing company. Both companies lost the contract in 1987. The parent company of Dixie (Coltrans) took over some of these IH trucks to haul imports in the NE. This one stayed in the Allied fleet and was then sold to an O/O for A-H. It's the only Escott I ever saw in Canada.
IH: Auto Haulaway#3673 by Dick Copello, on Flickr

JJG

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2019, 10:23:58 PM »
Interesting stories all come about here Dick, thanks for your input, so much knowledge of the typical ups and downs of the auto industry!!

Jim

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2019, 10:23:58 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs