If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Auto Haulaway  (Read 1284 times)

JJG

Re: Auto Haulaway
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 10:30:10 PM »
Nice update Dick.....so we killed them all off did we? If you want a quick death, run em for a season thru the mountains here, that will speed up the process for sure!

Jim.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 10:30:10 PM »

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 04:46:47 AM »
The single axle haulers are different. :o Don't recall ever seeing one in the states. :-\

pacarhauler

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2019, 07:54:27 AM »
Single axle tractors were common up until the 1980s when longer length limits increased gross weights to where 5 axles were required. Here's a shot from 86 or 87 taken at the exit of the Pillette Rd plant in Windsor. Cassens single axle Brigadier and a van trailer similar to A-H. While the A-H trucks were bound for New Boston, these vans were going to Cassen's Detroit yard for distribution to mid-west dealers.
  Dodge B-Series vans Canada by Dick Copello, on Flickr
And Atlantic Auto Transport Chev 427cid single axle. Eastern Canada?
AAT #66, 1971 Chevrolets by Dick Copello, on Flickr

JJG

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2019, 10:12:45 PM »
Oh WOW! Do I LOVE that shot of the 71 GMC with Vegas and Chevelles, (and maybe one LeMans bottom rear?) absolutely fantastic scene going into that air craft too yet, man you have some great stuff!!

That Cassen's "low rider" Brig is pretty cool too!

Jim.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 01:09:07 AM by JJG »

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 08:28:11 AM »
Oh WOW! Do I LOVE that shot of the 71 GMC with Vegas and Chevelles, (and maybe one LeMans bottom rear?) absolutely fantastic scene going into that air craft too yet, man you have some great stuff!!

That Cassen's "low rider" Brig is pretty cool too!

Jim.

Did either of you have the (mis) fortune to actually drive a Vega?
Charlie  might have - he's old enough.
There is a very good reason they weren't around too long. ::)

pacarhauler

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2019, 12:16:03 PM »
In 1970/71, I was selling Chryslers and Plymouths. The closest thing we had to a Vega was a Plymouth Cricket, a rebadged English Hillman Avenger. We couldn't give them away and Vegas sold like hot cakes. The headliners fell down in the Crickets as they sat on the sales lot. The "
SU" carbs were finicky and the electrical systems only worked at times. Vegas had rust and engine block problems and seem low on power. The Pontiac version was called Astre in the US, I think Canada had an Arcadian model. The last cars were better and had an Iron Duke engine. They were only $2500 and like the Pinto, they sold lots of them. We never had a volume subcompact. They were still better that YUGOs.

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2019, 02:02:59 PM »
I never had a Vega gentlemen……………….in fact I never had a car until I graduated college and got married. First car was a spiffy Buick Lesabre which I wish I had today. 8)

pacarhauler

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2019, 06:48:25 PM »
Flickr is down for maintenance, so I can't post photos. I have several period photos of Vegas in transport on Anchor rigs. On the rail, they were loaded into stack paks and travelled vertically nose down. The Vega GT was a nice car for the money and very popular. The engines lasted 35-40K but back then labor rates were low and rebuilds cheap. Like Charlie, we all wish we had some car that we had long ago. A few years ago, a friend bought a 70 Barracuda like he once had. First time he drove it, he was disappointed, especially with the 1970 brakes.

JJG

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2019, 11:24:29 PM »
I did drive a Vega GT, it wasn't mine but my supervisor's at the time, yeah, OK, now this is going to separate us from the young guys, we had no internet ::)......so,my supervisor (who was a grocery store manager  had to have the order in to the warehouse by Wednesday, 9:00 PM. He waited often till after 6:00 to complete it, no one there to take the call so I had to deliver it, slide it into the the Shipping Dept. mail slot after hrs, he let me drive his car for that, I thought it was quite cool, a poor mans Chevy Camaro, mini version, mini power too of course!!

Dick, we had the Astre here too, the Acadian was then cousin to the Chevette a few years later. That is nuts that they shipped them on their end like that, I have seen a picture of that somewhere before, didn't the fluids come up out of the engine on the journey? Looking forward to more of your cool classic shots!!

Jim.

pacarhauler

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2019, 05:52:42 AM »
I posted photos of Anchor Mtr Fr hauling VEGAs in the Leaseway thread. Back to A-H. This "Louisville" is loading GM products in the mid_1990's. This is a company truck with headramp and trailer made by TEAL. I didn't shoot this one, maybe Francois Spenard's work.
Ford LN "Autohaulaway" by Dick Copello, on Flickr
This LTL is a eastern O/O returning empty to Windsor about 1990.
Empty Ford; Canada by Dick Copello, on Flickr

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2019, 06:20:54 AM »
The top picture is how I recall Autohaulaway.
Ford LN's.
Were Teal trailers manufactured in Oshawa?
I seem to recall they might have been.

pacarhauler

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2019, 07:39:14 AM »
I th.ink TEALs were Canadian but I'm not where I can check now. In the US, I only ever saw them in use by E&L

Wreckerman

• Regular Membership
  • 🇺🇸
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2019, 09:57:50 PM »
I have to say, all these oldies are extremely cool! 8)
Those 2 Fords are really cool, especially the LTL9000.
Move Over & Slow Down for Stopped Emergency Vehicles.
This Includes Tow Trucks and Their Operators.

JJG

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2019, 10:18:07 PM »
The LTL is sure a cool looking A-H, sen many of them in the day!

I thought Teal Trailers were made in Windsor but not sure of that now!

Jim

pacarhauler

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2019, 08:42:12 AM »
Another Western Canada (BC) A-H. This shot by Bruce Brunner appeared in my book, "American Car Haulers" which I should have named North American Car Haulers. Matching rig and load from about 1989.
Kenworth coe: Auto Haulaway by Dick Copello, on Flickr

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2019, 08:42:12 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs