If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Leaseway,,Remember them?  (Read 1087 times)

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
Re: Leaseway,,Remember them?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 05:23:18 AM »
Really enjoying these car hauler pics from back in the day. :) I recall going by the plants in Edison, Linden & Mahwah as a kid and seeing all the trucks lined up or coming and going......back when the union ruled the roost.  Any others in Jersey i'm forgetting? ???
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 05:45:04 AM by charlie »

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 05:23:18 AM »

pacarhauler

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2019, 06:49:58 AM »
Automotive Conveying Co was a NJ Ford hauler in the 50s and 60's. Like another big Ford hauler, ATI, their trucks were red. NU CAR's were once orange and green as were their sister company, University Overland. By the mid-80's NU CAR was the big Ford carrier in the East. Then Leaseway bought them and Ford choose new carriers at some old NU Car locations. Active got much of it but the rates were cheap and labor costs were high. Active car haul failed after about a 15 year run.
Here's an old Automotive Conveying Co Ford tilt cab.
 1959 Fords E Coast by Dick Copello, on Flickr

JJG

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2019, 10:21:46 AM »
Absolutely too cool, love these old shots, wow!! The old C cab Ford appears to be living a hard life, it is only a couple years old at best, released in 1957 right? The shot is definitely a classic!!

Jim

pacarhauler

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 12:27:30 PM »
Yes, Jim, 57 Model truck had single headlamps while 58 and 59 had quads. The load is 59 Fords. This same rig appeared in an ad back then. I'll scan it when I get home. 

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2019, 12:51:49 PM »
 ;D I count 11 license plates on that Ford....plus the M sticker below the windshield.

pacarhauler

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2019, 02:56:40 PM »
The "M" superimposed on the US map and seen on many trucks in the early days is a Markel sticker. Markel was an insurance company and they employed investigators that monitored their customers trucks. Companies would receive photos of their truck doing something unsafe or illegal. A dash camera would take a photo of a truck and also a large speedometer showing the truck speed.

pacarhauler

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2019, 05:57:03 AM »
Back to Leaseway. Here's a page from the sale brochure when the PTS fleet was auctioned off in 2008. The Volvos at the bottom were 2002 models in good shape and they brought less than $10,000 each. The IH rigs at the top had late model Cottrell trailers on old Hadley or E&L Refurbed Internationals. Problem was: so much equipment was sold in only a few days and the prices were very low.
PTS Trucks for sale by Dick Copello, on Flickr

JJG

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2019, 10:34:49 PM »
The ups and downs of the Auto Industry, feast or famine, was that way in hauling auto parts too! Crazy how they would just end a contract in favor of another with out much notice, one carrier has 100's of pcs of equipment they can't use and the other can't get more quick enough!!

Jim.

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2019, 09:01:01 AM »
An older Leaseway rig rebranded PTS (Performance Transportation Services I think) coming into PA on I-80 back in April of '07

Maybe the only new equipment for PTS I shot was this Sterling coming through downtown Pittsburgh in August of '07

pacarhauler

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2019, 12:00:32 PM »
Good shots Paul. The Volvo has a five-car headrack and for this load, he could use it. The trailer is an older Bankhead and it could have handled another small car (Cruze?). By 07, PTS was using trucks and trailers that were not originally matched. The Sterling is a strap trailer with screw-drive decks. It may have been leased as I don't remember any of them in the PTS sale. Today, strap trailers are common and required by most auto manufacturers while the screw drive never became popular in the US.

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2019, 12:11:50 PM »
Thanks Dick.  Here's another from 80 taken Oct '07. Looks like an older unit modified and rebranded PTS.  The wide squat cab with the big wheels give it kind of a Tonka Toy look.

pacarhauler

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2019, 12:22:22 PM »
Paul, that's an old E&L Volvo with the cut down car haul cab. Jack Cooper bought some of the PTS rigs like this. They needed equipment because they inherited much of this work (truck chassis).

JJG

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2019, 11:48:05 PM »
I like that "aerial sot" of the Sterling on the bridge Paul, and yes  I agree, great description  of the squat down Tonka! Looks like they got that style Sterling to sit even lower yet?? Interesting specialty equipment!

Today we seem to have quite a few Volvo VHD squat down versions in the auto transport. They look OK really, when new of course ::)

Jim.

pacarhauler

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2019, 05:32:04 AM »
Over in the Auto Haulaway thread we were talking about the Chevy Vega. The car was designed to be shipped on it's nose and they used baffles and seals to prevent fluid loss. Back to Leasway; Volvo and Sterling both made/make special car haul chassis/cabs. Inside the Volvo, you could actually see where the cab was chopped. The truck Paul shot either had the headramp cut off or was ordered in a batch of "car haulers" and never got one. VEGAs: Anchor Motor Freight (Leaseway) was the truckaway carrier out of the Lordstown, OH plant. Nine-car Bankhead rigs like this Chevy 90 could be seen everywhere Anchor hauled. Nine/ten-car stingers like this Chevy Titan were not legal in PA at the time. I think Harry Patterson took both these shots. I've had them a long time.
Anchor M/F #2994 Chevy 90 by Dick Copello, on Flickr
Chevy Titan 90, Anchor #3101 by Dick Copello, on Flickr

JJG

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2019, 11:47:30 PM »
Very cool shots, both are unique!! On the Titan, 1st car on the upper deck of the trailer is the Pontiac Astre GT. They sure pack em in tight!

Jim.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2019, 11:47:30 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs