If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Leaseway,,Remember them?  (Read 1101 times)

pacarhauler

Leaseway,,Remember them?
« on: May 17, 2019, 07:07:45 AM »
Leaseway's auto transport grew out of the old Anchor Motor Freight. After their purchase of Nu Car Carriers Inc, in 87, the company began losing their good accounts and taking on cut-rate work. They died as part of the ill-conceived PTS in 2008. Here's a couple of earlier Leaseways.
The last Jeep pickups; LMoC #4167 by Dick Copello, on Flickr
Jeep load Feb 1987
Leaseway #5912 WhiteGmc by Dick Copello, on Flickr
13 car load, 1990s

Hank's Truck Forum

Leaseway,,Remember them?
« on: May 17, 2019, 07:07:45 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
Re: Leaseway,,Remember them?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 10:48:35 AM »
Leaseway Canada January 2005.

pacarhauler

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 12:33:02 PM »
When you shot that Volvo (2005), Leaseway was feeling the competition from the non-Teamster companies. Instead of adapting to the new ways of hauling cars, LW and Allied plowed ahead, thinking no one was big enough to replace them. Harry Patterson shot this load of Vega's about the time Anchor was changing to Leasreway Blue.
Anchor M/F #2994 Chevy 90 by Dick Copello, on Flickr

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 01:07:35 PM »
Here is another view - May 2004 (15 years ago  :o :o)

Who did Leaseway takeover to get into Canada?
I don't recall Anchor having a Canadian operation.

pacarhauler

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 02:44:06 PM »
Anchor used to have some trucks that also had "Transport Charleton" on the door. The Anchor logo was covered above the border and exposed in NY. I remember something about a Union issue with the practice. I think LW moved into Eastern Canada to fill the gap opened up when ACL and MCL were bought by Ryder. GM once had dedicated carriers and their trucks hauled only GM cars. LW actually did well in Canada because the Unions there were stronger. Your shot from 2014 is one of the last new trucks LW purchased, a real Volvo. Most in the US were "WhiteGMCs.

pacarhauler

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 02:51:15 PM »
In my post above, I spelled "Charlton" wrong. I have a photo of and Anchor with both names on the door and Russ MacNeil also shot an Anchor with "Charlton" on removeable door signs. Both shots are at home, I'm on the road. Here's a Charlton from 1958.
58 Oldsmobiles from the back by Dick Copello, on Flickr

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 05:54:12 PM »
It wasn't just GM that had dedicated carriers.
Ford used Maris as their prime carrier and they were all Ford tractors.
I do remember Charlton; it seems to me they might have served the Ottawa area - I have vague memories of an interline yard in Kingston.
I remember Charlton running the GM low cab forwards which were a popular choice of tractor in the 1960's.

pacarhauler

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 07:01:02 PM »
Ford had dedicated haulers here also but everything changed after 1985. The Teamsters went on strike in the summer and when they returned, a lot of work had been rebid. The railroads picked up a lot of the 200 to 500 mile loads that were once truckaway. In 1987 NU CAR was hauling Chryslers for us out of Jessup, MD. I had a sold Chrysler that I couldn't get because the rail traffic was blocked because of a derailment. It was the only Chrysler in the yard coming our way and wouldn't ship. The Zone gave me the OK to go get it and drive it out. There were Fords in the yard coming to a dealer five miles away. They told me the trucks dedicated to Ford all had tags on them paid for by Ford and they couldn't haul anything else. Maris had some GM tractors, there's one or more in my Flickr album. The Louisville cab was to high to haul some vans over the cab.

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 07:33:23 PM »
I remember the short lived PTS, but I don't recall, was that still part of Leaseway, or had the operation been sold off?

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 08:25:08 PM »
I shot this Leaseway International 8100 in Port Newark NJ on 2-2-05. They had such a big presence there......never thought they would disappear from the scene.

pacarhauler

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 04:07:13 AM »
Rob: PTS was the parent company for Hadley, E&L and Leaseway from sometime in the mid-2000s. Owned by investors (including Bill Clinton) who knew nothing about auto hauling except that it had to remain Union. In 2008, the Union went on strike and PTS folded. They sold off equipment at give away prices. Charlie: The IH you shot is a rare one. I think it's one of the Hadley units that was repainted in Leaseway blue. You're right: Port Newark was the place. NU Car Carriers had a huge terminal there which LW took over in 1986. Eventually the old NU CAR rigs were replaced by LW iron. They also terminated all the NU Car O/Os (brokers) like the one I'm posting now. Ryder was also big at Newark but after the take over by Allied, they slowly disappeared. I hauled Chrysler fleet cars INTO to port in 2000 and unloaded next to the big guys who were loading. I think Jack Cooper still hauls cars out of there but much of the work has been diverted to ports that have less regulation. This Ford LTL 9000 is an O/O leased to NU Car after LW took them over. Two-car headramp and 48 foot Bankhead trailer was East Coast state of the art in 1989.
Ford LTL NU Car O/O #LD0003 by Dick Copello, on Flickr

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 09:06:51 AM »
White GMC parked for the weekend in Brick NJ on 7-3-01.

pacarhauler

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2019, 09:49:17 AM »
Charlie: That truck was ten years old in 2001. In 2002 LW would buy some Volvo/Delavan rigs designed to haul pickups but they might be the last new trucks they bought. PTS refurbed some trucks in the mid-2000s but there weren't many (or any) newer than 02 in the fleet. Here's a shot of the Balto, MD yard in 1985. Only a small section, it was huge. The orange trucks were acquired when LW bought C&J Driveaway of Lansing in 85.
Baltimore, 1985 by Dick Copello, on Flickr

JJG

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 01:12:46 AM »
Interesting thread! The LTL Ford is sharp and the 58 Chevy is fantastic!! Amazing how many cars they could get on those specialized trucks, 13, that must be the most hauled I would think?

Not sure how the Auto Plants worked, but out of St.Thomas Ford Assembly, the blue and white Auto Haulaway trucks were the only ones ever pulling out of there regularly, they had almost all Ford Louisvilles (with a special flat roof skin for lowering the cab profile slightly) with a lot of O/O using them too, some quite nicely spec'd and maintained with a mix from the O/Os. Wish I had taken some pictures over the years!

Jim.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 01:17:43 AM by JJG »

pacarhauler

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 04:58:27 AM »
JIM: The rig with 13 cars on it is actually a 14-car Cottrell, 75 feet long. I have a shot or two of 14-car loads. CONVOY Co in Portland, OR hauled 13 car loads on 65 foot equipment in the 1970s. Don't worry about not shooting Auto Haulaways, I have hundreds of them. Traffic out of the FORD plants almost always rode on FORD trucks. However A-H O/Os had a variety of makes and so did the Company in the 1990's. I'll start an A-H thread.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 04:58:27 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs