If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Ontario truckers protest high insurance rates  (Read 498 times)

classicxl

• [URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/29203611

Hank's Truck Forum

Ontario truckers protest high insurance rates
« on: May 01, 2019, 05:36:26 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Wee Willy

• Global Moderator
Re: Ontario truckers protest high insurance rates
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 06:41:39 AM »
 That is pretty funny, especially the beat up old truck in the background!

Generally speaking, not all, but a good many aggregate haulers, (rock jockeys), are notoriously risky drivers and business owners, pretty much Canada wide, and ever since I started driving back in the stone age it's been a constant in the universe!

I can't count the number of times I've seen fools in dump trucks racing each other, and everyone else, back and forth to the pits in order to get ahead in line, not to mention the pups I've seen laying on their sides in the middle of an intersection, gravel everywhere, on occasion sugar beets, except in the trailer!

If they stop driving like fools and start driving like professionals, their insurance rates may just go down a little bit, but that's something for the aggregate industry to realize and start making changes to, particularly the mindsets and practices of truck owners, drivers and quarry/sand/soil operations.

It would be a hoot if the DOT showed up, did an inspection on that old clunker and took it out of service while the rally was going on!
The first rule of the road is:
"If anything can happen, at any time, it will!"

Heatnbeat

• Regular Membership
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 12:32:14 PM »
I'm on a gun forum and everybody in the general discussion section complains about the bull haulers. But when I'm driving the truck I'm right on or +2-3 on the speed limit, and those tri axles blow my doors off.

Jim Herriot

• Regular Membership
  • ........who?........
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 03:19:57 PM »
That is pretty funny, especially the beat up old truck in the background!

It would be a hoot if the DOT showed up, did an inspection on that old clunker and took it out of service while the rally was going on!

...."beat up". :o....that is probably one of the better ones. ;D...

...not much chance of MTO showin up. ::)...couple of years ago, this same group shut down both east and westbound Inspection stations @ Milton on 401. 8)....plugged the place with their equipment, MTO shut down and left. ???...they had lots of subjects to inspect, and did nothin. This association has a large membership, and I believe they got what they wanted on that shut down. :-\...Jim.
...duties and obligations, before pleasures and desires...

classicxl

• [URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/29203611
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 03:23:35 PM »
Living where I do I’m close to a bunch of gravel pits , every morning gravel trucks are flying up and down hwy 10 doing close to 120 km per hr . Speed limit is 80km . I have notice opp and mto cracking down and giving out tickets . most of the drivers being new Canadians

Jim Herriot

• Regular Membership
  • ........who?........
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 03:33:52 PM »
and laughed when I read it .

...u gotta warpt sense of humor. ;D...most trips cross GTA are "rollin road blocks". ::)...30 min trip was 90 min last Sun,  :-\...had me in stitches, 16 lanes of traffic goin 10 MPH.. >:(. Jim. ;)

Zeprome

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 02:20:07 AM »
I believe this is the Ontario Trucking Association. Really wasn’t fond of their way of protest as slowing down the traffic on the 400 highways as they presented a real nuiscience and danger to other motorists. While it sucks that insurances have many truckers at unfair rates, this type of protest is not to be condoned. Really sucked to be driving alongside a fleet of slow moving aggregate trucks. Funny thing that a lot of the trucks are relatively “new” looking. At first, I thought they were protesting against the high gas/diesel prices and carbon taxes. That said, recent incidents such as lodging the bucket onto the side of 400 northbound bridge and the skyway bridge really shouldn’t have happened if truckers performed diligently. Frankly, this industry seems to be lacking in new blood with many of the truckers are consisted of baby boomers, as least to my current knowledge.

Jim Herriot

• Regular Membership
  • ........who?........
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 05:03:24 PM »
I believe this is the Ontario Trucking Association.

..." A group identifying itself as the Ontario Aggregate Trucking Association (OATA) took to Toronto-area highways on Wednesday in a rolling protest against rising insurance costs — and they plan to return."...Jim. ;)

Zeprome

• Regular Membership
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 08:04:02 PM »
I believe this is the Ontario Trucking Association.

..." A group identifying itself as the Ontario Aggregate Trucking Association (OATA) took to Toronto-area highways on Wednesday in a rolling protest against rising insurance costs — and they plan to return."...Jim. ;)

Reading comprehension problem! Forgot about the “aggregate”.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 09:06:39 PM by Zeprome »

Oso2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 10:36:26 PM »
Several o/o's at work mentioned this to me. They said that rates had almost doubled within the last 2-3 years (they're covered by the company's insurance).

While I agree with what people here are saying about how dump truckers bring it on themselves, I have to applaud these guys as well: they seem to be the only ones standing up and fighting for better conditions.

P.S. I've seen beaten up dump trucks, but I also see a LOT of new equipment around here as well.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 05:39:33 AM »
Canadian protest:

Your friendly neighborhood vegan heavy haul punk.

"Suzie-Q"

IMAGES COPYRIGHT TROY MILLER/ 10-4 MAGAZINE

Contributor 10-4 Magazine

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 06:17:40 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs