If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: "Food Lion" Brockway 457 Daycab  (Read 619 times)

DRIPTROIT 71

• Regular Membership
"Food Lion" Brockway 457 Daycab
« on: April 25, 2019, 05:44:32 PM »
This one is a cab and fuel tanks from A.I.T.M.. The frame and many other parts came from the AMT R-Model Mack. The engine is a 6-71 Detroit from Gary Wallace. The tires are from Double Take Replicas.

IMG_0232 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

IMG_0235 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

IMG_0239 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

IMG_0240 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

IMG_0246 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

IMG_0259 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

IMG_0256 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

IMG_0272 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

IMG_0253 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

IMG_0250 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

Hank's Truck Forum

"Food Lion" Brockway 457 Daycab
« on: April 25, 2019, 05:44:32 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

JJG

Re: "Food Lion" Brockway 457 Daycab
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 09:33:45 PM »
What a cool build Brian, very nicely detailed as per your usual, the I6 jimmy is a nice touch too! Love the green interior too! What did you use for a windshield? Nice to see the functioning tilting cab done too!

You come up with some very unique and great subject ideas!

I have an F Model Mack from AITM too, the sleeper version, I really should get on that, quite tempting and the AMT R model is the perfect donor. I also have a Cruiseliner to donate to the project........one day!! Back in my hometown, there was a Company called Mercury Transport(?) or Trucking(?) and they ran Mack.s, had a B Model, couple F Models and a Superliner, black cab, red chassis with some red/gold striping, gorgeous trucks!! That is what I have in mind, they hauled Hot Asphalt tankers!

Jim
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 09:38:20 PM by JJG »

DRIPTROIT 71

• Regular Membership
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 07:31:43 AM »
What a cool build Brian, very nicely detailed as per your usual, the I6 jimmy is a nice touch too! Love the green interior too! What did you use for a windshield? Nice to see the functioning tilting cab done too!

You come up with some very unique and great subject ideas!

I have an F Model Mack from AITM too, the sleeper version, I really should get on that, quite tempting and the AMT R model is the perfect donor. I also have a Cruiseliner to donate to the project........one day!! Back in my hometown, there was a Company called Mercury Transport(?) or Trucking(?) and they ran Mack.s, had a B Model, couple F Models and a Superliner, black cab, red chassis with some red/gold striping, gorgeous trucks!! That is what I have in mind, they hauled Hot Asphalt tankers!

Jim

Thanks Jim!
For the windshield I used the clear film like comes in the kit from Dave. First let me say that if you've ever built the M.T.F.A. version of these cabs you'll see that Dave has greatly improved them. With that being said, they still need a little grinding. I take a Dremmel tool and grind the inside of the cab around the windshield to thin it up some where the glass will rest. I then make a header for the top inside of the cab that leaves a nice groove for the windshield to rest in. For the side posts, I take Evergrene Stryrene channel, remove one lip and then the remaining lip is doubled on the inside to add strength. This makes it look like an offset piece of angle. I install these on the side posts with the open end toward the windshield. This gives a nice grove for the sides. For the bottom, the grinding leaves a nice channel for the windshield to rest in. The trick is getting the windshield cut just right and slid into place. I usually have a few scraps. Once cut to fit the windshield will need little to no glue. I did put a tiny drop of glue on the bottom corners on this one. Another hard lesson that I learned is to make sure that all of your windshield fitting is done before paint.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 05:18:09 PM by DRIPTROIT 71 »

US MAIL GUY

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 02:56:12 PM »
Brian,
   Nice job!! I've got a couple of photos of them when they were in service. They have Food Town logos on them.
                                                                                                                                   Gary

DRIPTROIT 71

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 05:17:39 PM »
Brian,
   Nice job!! I've got a couple of photos of them when they were in service. They have Food Town logos on them.
                                                                                                                                   Gary
Thanks Gary! I would love to see them! I would have used Food Town decals if I could have found them. My reference photo was probably yours. The truck has Food Lion decals and the trailer has Food Town decals.

Food Town started here in Salisbury. As it branched out into other states the name was changed to Food Lion because of competitors with the same name. It is said that Ralph Ketner the owner chose the name Food Lion because he would only have to buy two new letters for the signs on each store.

JJG

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 10:01:36 PM »
Thanks for the awesome tip on fitting up and installing the windshield, thought about something similar in the small scale but it wasn't to be, this scale, sounds like it should (and it does) work. I'll give it go on my next one! It enhances the interior A-pillars at the same time, great result!

Jim.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 10:01:36 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs