If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: 1968 FORD F850 MOLSON BREWERY  (Read 1324 times)

JJG

1968 FORD F850 MOLSON BREWERY
« on: March 06, 2019, 11:03:38 PM »
Here is the start of another classic

I have a few of these on hand, the chassis is "tandemed", if I had gotten the wrecker or the concrete mixer I would have had the tandem chassis but never got one, now they are crazy money so using a boom truck chassis, shorten WB and add axle from fire truck

it has a step tank on the LH side so I removed one running board and semi fabricated this tank from Boley
http://s888.photobucket.com/user/Jimmyjacobs_bucket/media/Scale%20Models/003_zpsevrwki0r.jpg.html

photobucket allows me to load 2 pictures and won't pen the other 2, same day, same time, I don't get it >:(
here is the un-decorated version of the same truck, this will be the cab I use, 4 colours need to be applied so I want to start with a "clean slate". The truck also sports a saddle tank so I semi scratch built this one
http://s888.photobucket.com/user/Jimmyjacobs_bucket/media/Scale%20Models/004_zpsxkbit4jp.jpg.html

Jim.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 12:06:22 AM by JJG »

Hank's Truck Forum

1968 FORD F850 MOLSON BREWERY
« on: March 06, 2019, 11:03:38 PM »

chuckyr

• Regular Membership
Re: 1968 FORD F850 MOLSON BREWERY
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 05:03:41 AM »
You keep it movin'.  Great start.

JJG

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 11:50:56 PM »
Thanks Chuck, and we do continue!

There are four colours I found in the fleet book for Molson's years ago, Peking Red, Odell Blue, Gold Irid and White, I mixed them up quite some time ago and finally get to use it! Usually when doing multiple paint schemes, I opt to start with the least colour first, mask it, 2nd least, mask,3rd, mask and 4th, de-tape and clear. As this is a bit of a challenging paint job (in this scale) it was decided to go this route, 2 colours, clear and then do the 2 tone stripe as it is difficult to get those stripes masked without harming what's done, this way, clear and seal and then go on! Red base applied

trailer roof masked and red applied
http://s888.photobucket.com/user/Jimmyjacobs_bucket/media/Scale%20Models/001_zpswrbhob7j.jpg.html
masked off for 2nd colour

trailer masked and ready for 2nd colour

de-masked and ready to clear

mocked up on chassis real quick for a full cure, over night before handling too much!

Now to add the stripe!

Jim.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 12:03:10 AM by JJG »

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 03:57:45 AM »
Beauty!
 8)

W.J.Hyatt Transport.
Terminal was on Shorncliffe Road and the brewery was on Fleet Street near Bathurst and Lakeshore.

JJG

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 06:05:30 PM »
Beauty!
 8)

W.J.Hyatt Transport.
Terminal was on Shorncliffe Road and the brewery was on Fleet Street near Bathurst and Lakeshore.

Interesting, didn't know Molson used a carrier, almost like an "lease" type carrier then to have the fleet in their own name?

Jim.

JJG

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 11:37:46 PM »
Part 2 of the paint job, the cab lightly sanded out, masked, gold applied

the gold masked off, white base sprayed on

de-taped, overall clear coat applied

it does need a little tweaking yet, hopefully I can just brush touch a little blue and red where needed.......certainly is easier to do a 1:1 paint job like that!

Jim

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 05:45:34 AM »
Man; that's looking good.
You'd have to ask Doug McKenzie about the details for Hyatt Transport and how it related to Molsons.
But I remember them running those Ford Super Duties out of the Fleet Street brewery.

JJG

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 10:06:33 PM »
Man; that's looking good.
You'd have to ask Doug McKenzie about the details for Hyatt Transport and how it related to Molsons.
But I remember them running those Ford Super Duties out of the Fleet Street brewery.

You know after you mentioned it I looked at the photo I am working from and it does say Hyatt in small font on the running board, the proof is in the pudding!

Jim.

JJG

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 11:14:03 PM »
After looking at the paint job and wondering how I could improve the blemishes, I wondered if I would be further ahead to start again!! So, I had to buy another F850 just for the wheels -as you can't get them from any source ::), I had found another undercoated kit so I had a clean cab to start with! This time, I will go with the way I was thinking in the first place, start with white, and it is applied!

then, mask white,

paint red

mask both, paint blue

then de-tape and apply clear. I thought I best not try to paint the gold till I seal it up with clear

a much better start, still have to tweak the white but that should be easier.......I hope? A mock set up with new cab

Jim.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 11:20:34 PM by JJG »

JJG

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 11:19:12 PM »
I received my decals from Christie @ Graphics On Demand, she did an awesome job on getting the look from the images I sent, that gives me incentive to carry on to the finish line! The other hurdle was the gold stripe on the tractor, I got that done too, not as nice as I wanted but it will have to do!

The dash in installed, the windshield is in, roof lights painted along with the window mouldings and a look at the decals which I started to apply

I also spread the rear axles on the trailer as I looked at the image forever, not being sure if they are but sure looked like it. I figured it is only spread to 60" as opposed to 72" which I think came later on. The cab is just mocked up yet as the interior needs to finished and installed.

Jim

Kurt_H

• Regular Membership
    • Trucks87
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 01:33:31 AM »
Looks very good so far!

Kurt

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 04:00:34 AM »
Beauty!

rch

• Regular Membership
    • designs by he6agon
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 12:58:06 AM »
I am always impressed by your modeling and painting skills, Jim. This color scheme is cool and you've done a remarkable job with it.

JJG

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2019, 10:54:57 PM »
Thanks guys, for your comments!

Just a little more progress of late, here the front turn signals, headlights and front bumper have been installed

Jim.

JJG

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 11:17:32 PM »
windshield wipers, slightly modified mirrors are installed here. I really didn't think I could come up with a mirror that was much better then the ones that come with the truck so I added upper brackets as that detail was absent. The only thing that would be better is if the bracket arms were thinner......I know, should just be happy they HAVE some.......and I am :)

first time I have made dual air horns out of singles, don't have any dual on hand, so, took two Herpa Promotex singles, shortened one, made a rear manifold and fabbed this up. You can also see the modified mirror bracket here

just have to letter the other side now and I think this one should be about done :)

I think Athearn has done a very awesome job on capturing this scale model with the details and so on, well done!!

Jim.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 11:27:36 PM by JJG »

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 11:17:32 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs