If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: New England Motor Freight is no more.  (Read 1656 times)

Greg_E

• Greg Elgart Collection
Re: New England Motor Freight is no more.
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 08:17:11 PM »
Guess the high dollar Petes they bought drained more money out of the company then the old R model Macks they ran.

I highly doubt that the make of truck they chose was a big factor; Peterbilt probably made them the best offer . BTW, a lot of fleets have chosen Pete - so they aren't priced out of the ballpark.

Shoulda put a  ;D :D after the sentence...…...it was meant as a joke. ::) Anyone whose watched NEMF over the years knows they liked to hang onto equipment...…...the new shiny wheels they bought came as a surprise to me. :o
They invested in millions of dollars in updated equipment between 2015 and 2018. A lot of money for sure but not enough to break the bank. Certainly many factors at play to cause Shevell to turn to this.

Word is the last day of operation is Friday and then NEMF is off the road.

Updated 8/10/2018

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 08:17:11 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 08:33:06 PM »
I read somewhere that they were too reliant on a couple of big companies (Amazon was one) & the low margins hurt them financially plus they had to tie up a lot of trucks for a couple of customers.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 05:49:32 AM »
I always hate when customers want rates so low that it is impossible for the service provider to make any money.
We, the outside service providing company, have to pay our employees and get a return on investment too.
No company should ever do so much business with one customer or sector that it threatens their survival.
Customers don't care!
Management has to care.
Sometimes owners get sick of shovelling money into a business and not getting a return.
If nobody wants to buy the business it will then get shout down.

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2019, 06:05:23 AM »
Interesting background about NEMF.

https://tandemthoughts.landlinemag.com/in-the-news/nemf-a-big-carrier-with-a-colorful-history-goes-bust/

R. Buron

• Regular Membership
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2019, 07:47:06 AM »
Very interesting and instructive article charlie.

Greg_E

• Greg Elgart Collection
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2019, 08:34:46 AM »
I read somewhere that they were too reliant on a couple of big companies (Amazon was one) & the low margins hurt them financially plus they had to tie up a lot of trucks for a couple of customers.
I also read about that and saw it first hand. We had too many trailers stuck at multiple Amazon warehouses on any given day. We also kept needing to fill loads at the same time to go out. I don’t think NEMF had that kind of capacity, and if they did, it was barely enough.  Amazon is also notorious for cheap contracts with carriers on top of high demand for service. NEMF had plenty of other contracts but I assume they cut rates so low just to keep them while losing customers who weren’t having their needs met.

Updated 8/10/2018

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2019, 09:44:51 AM »
Guess the high dollar Petes they bought drained more money out of the company then the old R model Macks they ran.

I highly doubt that the make of truck they chose was a big factor; Peterbilt probably made them the best offer . BTW, a lot of fleets have chosen Pete - so they aren't priced out of the ballpark.
Oso is absolutely right. The only way a Pete becomes high dollar is if it is owner-operator spec's. We haul chassis's for a mining outfitter that builds blasting trucks. Their standard offerings are on Peterbilt chassis's. Being as these rigs spend the entirety of their lives tromping in mud and mines, they aren't wildly fancy rigs. The interiors are as bare bones as it gets, rubber floors and mats, cloth seats, etc.

The only thing that makes their Pete's pricey is the all-wheel-drive running gear and specialized outfitting to accommodate the blasting gear.

Peterbilt and Kenworth will build you as bare bones "fleet trucks" as you like.
Your friendly neighborhood vegan heavy haul punk.

"Suzie-Q"

IMAGES COPYRIGHT TROY MILLER/ 10-4 MAGAZINE

Contributor 10-4 Magazine

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2019, 03:43:47 PM »
That's quite a story Charlie, thanks for sharing.

Wreckerman

• Regular Membership
  • 🇺🇸
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2019, 10:30:59 PM »
You know, I'd always liked the NEMF livery and had wanted to make it "up north" and see some of their equipment some day.
I guess that's not gonna happen now, except (hopefully) at truck shows.
Wonder if they'll get bought out, and by whom, or if they'll just fade away and other companies will pick up their customers?
Move Over & Slow Down for Stopped Emergency Vehicles.
This Includes Tow Trucks and Their Operators.

james j neiweem

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2019, 10:01:52 AM »
If they were shipping Amazon prime materials shipping is free.

Greg_E

• Greg Elgart Collection
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2019, 10:24:25 AM »
You know, I'd always liked the NEMF livery and had wanted to make it "up north" and see some of their equipment some day.
I guess that's not gonna happen now, except (hopefully) at truck shows.
Wonder if they'll get bought out, and by whom, or if they'll just fade away and other companies will pick up their customers?
Right now shippers who had been using NEMF are scrambling to try and find carriers who can meet their needs and have the capacity to do so. I saw a video that showed NEMF having 39 terminals in the northeast alone. I know Pyle, Pitt Ohio, and Ward would love the business but may not have enough resources to make it work for everyone. This could also be the break Saia needed to gain market share in New England.

Also, Pyle, New Penn, Estes as well as other companies are welcoming former NEMF employees with open arms. The northeast is a very tough area for the trucking business and we’ll have to wait and see how this plays out!

Updated 8/10/2018

soapman

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2019, 01:38:49 PM »
yeah sad to see them go but I had heard how they hadnt been run well lately
Will Eastern Freightways still be in business? I saw two of their trucks yesterday
on the road
Ivory Moseley

Greg_E

• Greg Elgart Collection
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2019, 04:16:05 PM »
yeah sad to see them go but I had heard how they hadnt been run well lately
Will Eastern Freightways still be in business? I saw two of their trucks yesterday
on the road
I think the other Shevell Companies has an extra month or so but NEMF ceases operations that Friday. I want to drive by the terminal soon but my schedule and the weather have gotten in the way.

Updated 8/10/2018

Huskidrive

• Regular Membership

When Twin Golden Huskies Pass You...... It's HUSKIDRIVE!

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2019, 05:34:53 PM »
Was going through my archives looking for some other shots when I ran across these, all taken last year.  RIP NEMF.

May 2018 - Woodbridge:

Sept 2018 - Sterling:

Aug. 2018 - Woodbridge:

I'm sure I have more from previous years but I'll share them when I run across them.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2019, 05:34:53 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs