If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Scarlett II: Trucker Rides Again  (Read 6762 times)

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
Re: Scarlett II: Trucker Rides Again
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2019, 09:31:58 PM »
Glider needs some finishing work but it looks good as does the Pride & Class 389. And the road shot with the sharp grey Pete is cool too. Thanks for sharing the stories of your travels too, I like reading about work from your perspective.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2019, 09:31:58 PM »

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2019, 07:48:36 PM »
Thanks for commenting! The glider hasn't even been touched yet, it was parked there when it was delivered...in fact, we're still waiting on a motor for it.

Had a four day weekend after Thanksgiving, but a full six day work week last week. Got to go down to Redmond for salt three days and ran Beck Street Ready Mix the other three. Beck Street is supposed to stay busy for awhile yet because they're switching material and getting the sand and rock from different pits now, so I hope to stay busy with bellies all next week too!

I see this cool old 379 with the big Ablebody through home frequently, finally got a picture.
Class...you either have it, or you don't.

JJG

« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2019, 01:08:04 AM »
Great catch on the Able 379, always found that an attractive bunk!!

Jim.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2019, 04:14:30 AM »
They always catch my eye!

Ran Beck Street all last week and got a full week out of it. Not much snow in the forecast this week, but it will be cold enough to freeze sand in my trailers. Still running Beck Street, looking like I won't hook up a reefer until after Christmas.

JJG

« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2019, 10:53:30 PM »
that's another cool catch Ryan, nice shot, looks good in with the pig pen!

Jim

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2020, 03:53:20 PM »
I ran Beck Street pretty much until New Year's Eve. Since then, I've hauled a little salt and hauled bank run from Mountain Green to South Weber. I'm shocked that I am still pulling bellies and still quite busy! Going to Redmond to get salt tomorrow and have the possibility of staying local for another month. We've had a few guys quit and a couple that wanted laid off for winter and three guys in Nevada hauling gold ore, so that has opened up plenty of belly dump work to keep me around.

This is called loading off the ground. At Beck Street, they have the bins that feed the batch plant and also a stockpile. When the trucks bringing in material are bringing it too fast and the bins are full, we dump it on the stockpile. When the trucks can't keep up with the plant using material, we load off the stockpile and take it up the trap to feed the bins. Only hauling it a couple hundred yards, so they load it up!

This is a truck that has been hauling out of the Beck Street pit recently.

Wreckerman

• Regular Membership
  • 🇺🇸
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2020, 05:21:49 PM »
Good to hear you're keeping busy, the more ya turn, the more ya earn! ;D
Hauling gold ore sounds interesting, I would think that's a somewhat touchy job, maybe not so much the mine/pickup point, but definitely the destination (which I would assume to be a refinery).
That's a sharp black 389 there, very classy looking rig, and not overdone. The paint scheme looks especially nice. 8)
Move Over & Slow Down for Stopped Emergency Vehicles.
This Includes Tow Trucks and Their Operators.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2020, 10:02:17 PM »
I think the gold ore they're hauling takes quite a bit of processing to even know there's gold in it, from what I understand, it's microscopic amounts. We also have done some copper ore hauling in Nevada, both of those jobs are for side dumps though, so not for me.

I think I have possibly gotten out of pulling a reefer at all this winter, time will tell. Starting tomorrow, five of us are running a night shift hauling bank run to a stockpile for a road job in Tooele, Utah. We'll be sleeping in the trucks down there all week and home on the weekends and the job is supposed to go until April! Not sure if that's better than pulling a reefer over the road or not, I'm a little shocked they're working at night on a road job this time of year, I expect even more complications from cold and snow than on a day shift hauling dirt in the winter. Also haven't heard what it pays, but it's tonnage, so we shall see. Gonna go into it with a positive attitude. One other bummer is that I really planned on shutting down for a little while. Scarlett's interior is in bad need of a detail cleaning and the aluminum needs hand rubbed once more before winter does too much damage and I've put off a long list of little maintenance items thinking we'd slow down eventually. Ended up staying in the shop late a couple nights last week trying to knock out a few of the more important ones before going out of town.

Last week I did the Redmond load Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were two loads of salt to Rupert, Idaho each, Thursday was two loads of salt to Draper, and Friday was two to Rupert again. Good money week!

Don't see many Marmons of this age around our area.

JJG

« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2020, 11:06:28 PM »
Good to have a positive attitude Ryan, I guess you have to do what it takes to keep the wheels turning! Hope it goes well for you!

Jim,

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2020, 05:34:29 AM »
I have a friend who knows about gold mining and getting gold out tailings from older mines.
The price is high enough to make it worthwhile and as Ryan says the gold content is low but the rewards are there.
Nice that you get winter work close enough to be home on weekends.
Always good to be busy.

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2020, 04:49:28 PM »
I don't know much about west coast work but it's good to hear you're staying busy, at least the bank account will be happy.

Hope you're able to keep the truck running through the grind of staying busy. If I know anything it's that if something breaks it'll probably happen at the worst possible time haha.

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2020, 05:05:57 PM »
Looks like you'll be working harder this winter Ryan instead of having that cozy reefer haul this winter. ;D :P Just stay safe out there buddy. :)

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #72 on: Yesterday at 11:54:12 PM »
Thanks guys, it's been an adventure so far! It turned out they wanted us to make a circle for the job in Tooele and we were loaded both ways. Loading out of Grantsville with four inch minus and heading east on I-80 to milepost 94, dive off and dump in front of a blade, continue east to Erda and load bank run to get back on westbound I-80 and dive off that side at 94 and dump in front of a dozer. Well, it sounds pretty slick, but dozer tracks are bad to drive on in anything, but especially belly dumps because you need enough speed to keep your momentum while you dump. The other problem is the bank run had WAY too big of rocks in it for bellies. We signed out early because they ran out of loose material. I had called and told the boss about this after the first night down there and he wanted us to tough it out. Night two came and I made it halfway through the night and one of the boulders took out a brake can when I dumped. I complained to the job foreman, he reassured me that they were going to start screening the bank run. Night three, I showed up to find that the material was not being screened, but everything was going very smoothly and the foreman's new story was that we would soon be changing to a different pit on the east end that has smaller material. We decided to stay and run to see how many loads could be done in a full shift, walked around the truck afterwards and nothing underneath was broken. However, after a nap, I looked inside the beds in the daylight and the crossmember at the bottom of the hopper had been ripped out by a boulder. I'm lucky the gates would open for me to unload, usually when that breaks, the bottom flexes and the gates get on a bind. My buddy that was with me wanted a night off anyway, so I pulled his trailers the rest of the week and he took mine home. The foreman had finally decided that the belly dumps would haul ONLY the four inch minus from Grantsville and the side dumps would haul the big bank run, perfect. Now I wasn't hauling big stuff OR driving over dozer tracks, so the fourth night went awesome and we REALLY didn't break anything. When the fifth night came around, I was feeling pretty good about this job now that we'd figured out a way to make it easier on the belly dumps. Well, about four loads in, another truck got too close to a soft shoulder on the job and the tractor and main tipped almost all the way over before he got stopped. We kept running while they recovered it, but as soon as it got out, a second truck got too close to the shoulder on the other side of the pad and flipped his pup all the way over, so they shut the job down at midnight. What was even worse was no one called me and told me, so I went clear back to Grantsville to load and no one was there, adding forty miles round-trip. After signing out, I headed to a truck wash on the way home for the weekend. So I only worked a full night two out of five nights and stayed a hundred miles from home all week and now my trailers are down for awhile. I guess I'm going back down there tomorrow night for another week and I'm pulling steel trailers. On the plus side, the weather really was decent all week and never got too awful cold and it looks like this week will be the same. Sure hope this ends up paying well enough to be worth it...I already kinda feel like I'd rather pull the reefer, haha. Another positive is that I spent Friday at the truck stop deep cleaning the interior before work and I polished all the aluminum yesterday at home, so that part of my winter maintenance is done. Also, since they have to weld a new crossmember in the hopper of my main, I'm leaving them my whole list to fix on the trailers while they have them. Now if I could just take a week off to get the tractor in the shop, we'd be in good shape, haha.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #72 on: Yesterday at 11:54:12 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs