If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Scarlett II: Trucker Rides Again  (Read 4374 times)

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
Scarlett II: Trucker Rides Again
« on: January 28, 2019, 08:06:49 AM »
Well, I had been butting heads with Boyd Fife a whole lot the entire time I worked for him and he had me doing those grocery store deliveries for six weeks and we couldn't agree on how they should pay, so I ended up quitting. Hated to do it, won't get into the several reasons why on here, he does do a lot for his drivers, but we just could not get along. The store deliveries weren't too bad as far as the work goes, but the hours sucked...pretty much worked a swing shift every night. Only ever did one that kept me out overnight though, so that was good.

My old truck at Francis had been available for quite awhile and the boss didn't want to put anybody in it for fear they'd just trash it, so I called them up and he offered me the old girl back. I also will have a set of Beall belly dumps in the spring AND my same reefer trailer back for the winter. Kinda like it never even happened, haha. Scarlett had a rough life with the driver that had her most of the time I was gone, so she spent two weeks in the shop getting a whole lot of mechanical work done and new parts. I spent four days myself, fixing little things, cleaning, and adding some personal touches. I've been back for a week and I really didn't do much "work", just two loads of salt to Cascade, Idaho and two loads to Draper, Utah. I've been driving 217, a 2015 389 five axle dump truck with a big five axle pup with extendable drawbar. Been kind of a nice change of pace! One cool thing that the kid that drove Scarlett did was have the wetkit converted to work with a five axle "super side dump", so I'm actually gonna go hook one up later today and haul some more salt to Cascade. I'm all moved in, detailed the interior, and done dressing up the outside, but there's a few more small things that need fixed and I need to buy a new steering wheel and get my shifter back in. Think I'll even get it washed before I load today! ...and another good thing is the kid also just had all the aluminum polished before he quit, so it's still shiny under the grime that's on it now. Anyway, just thought I'd update you guys. Super excited for the opportunity to have my truck back...I've dressed it a little different this time, but I still love it.

Class...you either have it, or you don't.

Hank's Truck Forum

Scarlett II: Trucker Rides Again
« on: January 28, 2019, 08:06:49 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

tery

• Regular Membership
Re: Scarlett II: Trucker Rides Again
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 02:06:14 PM »
Cool - and you can find it in the dark too  :)
__________ In memory of drivers __________
 Red Ball , Georgia Fox , Yardbird , Diamond Doll

JJG

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 11:17:09 PM »
Interesting turn of events.......sometimes you just have to try some thing different to find out it wasn't so bad initially? However it all went, good to see you back in the cool Pete, hope it works out for you!

Jim.

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 12:32:21 PM »
Sad to hear about the old gig but good luck with the "new" gig! Hope it works out for you better this time around.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 02:24:47 PM »
Thanks folks! I had my complaints about Francis when I quit the first time, but I had to remind myself that I was pretty happy there for eight years for the most part. I had more big arguments with Fife in one year than I ever did with the boss at Francis, so I think I'll be okay. I know what I'm getting myself into, so I'll have no one to blame but myself, haha. A handful of smaller outfits had offered me jobs doing dirt work or hauling sod, but I was scared to try something new again for fear it would work out the same.

So far, I have been LOVING it! I continued to drive 217 a bit last week because the super side dump I was gonna pull wasn't ready on Monday, hauled two more loads to Cascade in it and Thursday I did a couple local salt loads and got my truck hooked up to the side dump to pre-load one more round for Cascade, which we took up Friday and I fell madly in love with Scarlett all over again. It still runs good, rides smooth, and has a great stereo...plus it was all clean and shiny. Now I've dropped the side dump and hooked my reefer and I load for Post Falls, Idaho tomorrow. Not gonna complain about the reefer at all, but I do wish I'd gotten to haul more in the super side dump...it was pretty slick! Also wish I'd had time to hose the mud off that trailer before loading, haha.

Here's 217 loaded down with salt.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 12:30:41 PM »
Load to Post Falls went great last week! I missed all of the snow that I thought I'd run right through and every load and unload went fast and smooth. Nice easy run that paid good too. Got home Thursday, had Friday off for jury duty, and pulled a super side dump again on an ex-out job a few hours yesterday. Now I'm loading the Post Falls load in the reefer again tomorrow. Sure hope I get as lucky with the weather as last week!

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 05:06:17 PM »
Did Post Falls again last week and it didn't go quite as good, but not bad at all. Had to put chains on over Lookout Pass going into my delivery, reloaded apples at three picks around Washington to come home and had rain and snow ALL the way home from Yakima. I delivered at home Thursday morning and I've been off for a vacation with my wife...we went to Phoenix to see her sister. Now I'm home and I load tomorrow, going to Phoenix, haha.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 09:02:05 AM »
Took that load to Phoenix and reloaded for Seattle out of there. Kind of unusual, but actually encountered quite a bit of snow in Arizona...enough to close the road in Kingman for a few hours. The northwest was getting pounded with snow while I was up there, but I got lucky with my timing and never had to put chains on. Loaded four picks of apples to bring home and delivered them Wednesday morning and I've been off work since, just taking it easy! I do load for Georgia tonight, just waiting on dispatch to get me a schedule. Super excited to get to go east for a few days, but I hope the reload brings me back towards home. Hopefully just one more month before hooking to the belly dumps!

Got my new steering wheel in and my old shift knob back on.

Wreckerman

• Regular Membership
  • 🇺🇸
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 04:22:38 PM »
Snow in Arizona? I thought it was always warm and dry. ;D
Georgia is a pretty good trip, luckily you missed the nasty weather we had in the Southeast last night.
The inside of Scarlett is looking mighty fine, I really like the chrome bezels around all the gauges and switches. 8)
Move Over & Slow Down for Stopped Emergency Vehicles.
This Includes Tow Trucks and Their Operators.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 09:48:10 AM »
Thanks! It sure is nice to drive a truck I enjoy being in again!

Trip to Atlanta was great! A buddy caught up to me in Sikeston, Missouri on the way down and we ran together the last day of the journey down. He blew a power steering hose at a truck stop ten miles from his delivery, so after I unloaded my load, I went and got his trailer and delivered his load while he fixed his truck. After we switched trailers back, we both went up to Lula to load chicken headed straight back home and ran together and delivered side by side at home. I had a boot come apart where the exhaust comes out of the EGR to recirculate into the intake in Kentucky, but we limped it into Missouri for the night and fixed it before dinner. After a day off at home to reset, I got a load to Seattle, but it was pretty quick and easy. Got home from that Saturday afternoon and delivered it in the middle of the night last night. Now I don't think I'm going out again until Wednesday or Thursday and I've requested another load going far east.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 09:48:49 AM »
Found this guy in Grand Island, Nebraska on my way east.

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 11:27:47 AM »
HOTLANTA huh? ??? Nice run....about 1900 + miles or so. 8) Cool place too except for the traffic, traffic and more traffic. ;D

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 07:40:42 AM »
It's quite an experience for a "local" guy, haha. I lucked out and got another Atlanta load after my last post, but wasn't quite as lucky on the reload this time. I loaded Monday morning just south of Atlanta with a load going to Fountain, Colorado, which is fine, but the broker scheduled it terribly. Four days to go 1,400 miles! I was on the phone for half the trip trying to get it rescheduled, but the customer wouldn't do anything without the broker and no one could get a hold of the broker.....I showed up forty-five hours early for my appointment and they wouldn't receive it. I sat one whole day, but luckily they were able to work me in late Wednesday night. Then I just bounced up to Denver and loaded empty milk crates coming home (my favorite Denver load). Kicked those off Friday morning and I've been home since. Leaving for Portland in a couple hours, but that could possibly be the last reefer load this season...it's almost belly dumping time! With the few days I had off between the Atlanta trips, I had the truck and trailer serviced and washed and then I took a few hours and hand-rubbed all the aluminum. Spring is just around the corner!

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 04:03:02 PM »
Portland load went great and then I dropped the reefer until next season! Also mounted the back half of my full fenders again for the summer. Had to pull a set of steel belly dumps for one day because they were doing some welding on the set of Bealls I was going to get. Just did fourteen loads of sand from Brigham to a batch plant in West Valley last week. I really hope he just leaves me on that haul all summer, it's a gravy train on biscuit wheels. Three loads a day and just dump on the fly and go. After hooking up these Bealls, I got them greased and had to fix a few things, then I took one night to acid wash the wheels and another night to paint diamonds on the back. They're coming along, really I might like them more than the set I pulled the last time I worked at Francis! Just have to mount four flaps across the back of each trailer with weights and we'll be stylin'.

Before acid.

After acid.

Some trucks I saw along my route.

Feels good to be back to business as usual. I also bought a new little camera to take to work, so I hope I can start taking more pictures again (and not just of Scarlett, haha).

Wreckerman

• Regular Membership
  • 🇺🇸
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 07:08:40 PM »
Definitely sounds like you're keeping busy, which is always good. :)
As usual, Scarlett looks A+, and the white Pete you caught is cool, especially with the white frame, don't see to many rigs with the painted frames. 8)
Move Over & Slow Down for Stopped Emergency Vehicles.
This Includes Tow Trucks and Their Operators.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 07:08:40 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs