If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Old Ford Tilt-Cab won't open  (Read 455 times)

danpeanuts

• Regular Membership
Old Ford Tilt-Cab won't open
« on: December 21, 2018, 10:56:02 AM »
I have a 1962 Ford F-850 truck and the tilt-cab is in between the first and second catch.  It won't open when I pull the second release lever and it won't lock down when I push down on it.  I can reach the catch through the access door and can move it with a screw driver but something is holding up the cab so I can't push it down.  A man told me the bushings may be worn so badly that it isn't sitting down straight.  Any suggestions on what to do?       --Dan, Cottage Grove, OR

Hank's Truck Forum

Old Ford Tilt-Cab won't open
« on: December 21, 2018, 10:56:02 AM »

1937 caddy

• Regular Membership
Re: Old Ford Tilt-Cab won't open
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 01:05:19 PM »
did you try putting some oil on it,it may be siezed up,or maybe just stuck,i would soak it in oil,maybe some penetrating fluid.look and see if there are any grease nipples too.maybe give it a tap with a hammer,check and see if there is a cable for it,it may be stiff too. pictures would help too. :) Harvey
The truth can sometimes be a bitter pill to swallow

JJG

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 01:48:54 AM »
Is the gear shift lever in the way? Sometimes (on certain COE's) the lever might have to be moved forward to clear the travel arc?

Jim

danpeanuts

• Regular Membership
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 02:23:55 PM »
I have penetrating fluid on all the joints and the gearshift is in the forward position up against the dash.  Since the clutch isn't working properly I can't move it either.  Even with 2 of us lifting and pushing down on the cab it won't move but just a little bit either way.  I tried but seem unable to attach a picture of the mechanism that is supposed to release the cab.  There are 2 pull handles that release both catches and a big handle to lift the cab.  It's on springs so usually lifts easily.

JJG

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 06:44:00 PM »
Is it a C-cab or an H cab? The F series were conventional cab, the C a small tilt cab and the H was a taller version of the C cab.

Jim

danpeanuts

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 02:36:46 PM »
It's a small C Cab.  Wish I could figure out how to send a picture.  It would answer some questions.

Dan Burkhart

• Regular Membership
  • Oakville Ontario
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 08:06:09 AM »
You can upload a photo to a hosting site such as http://tinypic.com/  Select the size for message boards and after uploading just copy and past the URL.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

JJG

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 11:10:11 AM »
We know now it's a C-cab Ford, not familiar with the Ford so much, I have a GMC T-series which is very similar, I can check out the linkage on it to see, if I remember, it has one release handle curb side but it being  a canopy cab (ex fire truck) I am not able to tilt it on my own. If someone else shows up I can maybe try tilting it.

Jim

danpeanuts

• Regular Membership
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 07:21:42 AM »
Since it has 2 big heavy springs, it is usually very easy to lift.  There are those 2 pull handles below the lift lever that are supposed to release it.  The bottom handle releases it first and then you have to lower it a little before pulling the 2nd handle and then it is supposed to tilt forward easily.  Right now  it won't go down far enough so I can pull the second handle and it also won't go clear down so it will lock down.  Here's a picture:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1z2lu11&s=9

JJG

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 11:14:15 PM »
It must be in the "down" position in this picture? Or is it in the open setting, just won't raise/release? The 2nd lever is a secondary catch? Just a thought here, do you have to pull up on one while pushing down on the other to release?

Jim.

danpeanuts

• Regular Membership
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 07:18:56 AM »
You were right.  It was in the "down" position.  I thought it was in between and was trying to push it down when I pulled the bottom lever.  A friend of mine came by, pulled the first lever and raised it some then pulled the 2nd lever and it opened.  What a dummy I am!  Thanks for all the helpful advice.

JJG

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 11:27:05 AM »
No problem........glad it opened for you!! Sometimes we just try to intent on the same thing overlooking a simple "go back and start over" deal!

Jim.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 11:27:05 AM »