If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: 1986 CCC AM General 6X6 and FRUEAHUF TRI-AXLE DUMP  (Read 1188 times)

JJG

1986 CCC AM General 6X6 and FRUEAHUF TRI-AXLE DUMP
« on: November 25, 2018, 03:54:11 PM »
Here is a Trident M915A military tractor that was used  unchanged since the early 80's to mid 200's, that quite a long haul. I have only seen them come up with 400 Cummins engines along with Allison auto transmissions or some advertise the CAT auto ...... either way, this one is going to be an ex-army vehicle that has a civilian life style now.
the detail on the model is quite nice, they come assembled but require a few parts added on such as headlight bezels, spare wheel crane lift and air horns, wipers and grille guard. The lights were put on for painting, then the whole unit dismantled for the painting operation.

a rear view as they come

going for a ride from the paint shop on a classic Mack lowboy

a close up, the colour is Surf Blue from 1959 Austin (Mini) along with black for the rest.

Now to add the details

Jim.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 03:20:48 AM by JJG »

Hank's Truck Forum

1986 CCC AM General 6X6 and FRUEAHUF TRI-AXLE DUMP
« on: November 25, 2018, 03:54:11 PM »

Kurt_H

• Regular Membership
    • Trucks87
Re: 1986 CCC AM General 6X6
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 02:49:13 AM »
Hello Jim,

your CCC Centaur (the civilian name) is an interesting project and I'll look forward to your next steps.

By the way, Trident has nothing to do with Roco, it's an independent manufacturer. Trident has also produced the successor of the M915, M915A1 (the military name) the M915A2, a military version of the Freightliner FLD120, as a resin kit.

Kurt

JJG

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 11:17:29 PM »
Thanks Kurt! Yeah, I should not have posted that info as I did not research it, I had always thought they shared some tooling items over the years but not so. I will remove that info to avoid confusion!

Interesting, I had always wanted that FLD 120 to come to reality when I had seen it announced many years back, never did see anything -which is by the way why we started up in the first place as I grew impatient, then Italeri brought their version out. Do you have a Trident cab? I don't think I have seen any images to date.Not that I would get one now but just curious as to what it does look like

Jim.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 01:36:57 AM by JJG »

Kurt_H

• Regular Membership
    • Trucks87
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 03:35:55 PM »
Jim,

yes I've such a Trident cab and I've also a built M915A2. Base of the cabin is a reworked Italeri one. As I think, that the members are not so interested in military vehicles, I didn't post the truck tractor here in this forum. But the link leads to my model:

http://www.trucks87.de/frebt/fre_541.html

My M915A2 is a bit modified, but the cabin is the original from the Trident kit.

Kurt

JJG

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 11:13:58 PM »
Thanks Kurt, yeah, I could have made that cab work for sure, overall looks pretty good! You added A-Line steel wheels? I thought of changing those out but painted black they will be fine. You did a great job of the build. The Trident chassis are quite well done for heavy application.

Jim

JJG

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 01:34:37 AM »
Most of the unit is re-assembled here now, the wipers and spare tire need to be added, this model is box stock, nothing changed yet....a bit rare for me but a testament to a very realistic item.

the other very nice feature about Trident is the fact they are not glued together, with a little patience and finding the tabs, they dis-assemble nicely and go back together equally as well.

Jim.

JJG

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 03:14:54 AM »
I wewnt into my trailer inventory and pulled out this fine Fruehauf tri-axle trailer kit from Ralph Ratcliffe. This is based on th e1/25 scale AMT trailer, and in this scale, Ralph did a fantastic job of the kit getting ready to paint

the one change I made was to put in aluminum tubes on the suspension so the wheels would roll, in this case switching out to A-Line spokes all around

the dump body is as is and was just sitting on the chassis for the photo

here it is out of the pant shop

the frame is in the same colour as the cab, the dump body is a straight silver base toner with activator, resembling an aluminum look

Jim

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
Re: 1986 CCC AM General 6X6 and FRUEAHUF TRI-AXLE DUMP
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 11:07:50 AM »
 8) 8)

JJG

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 12:18:24 AM »
Here is a look at the completed Fruehauf hooked up. I changed out the mud flaps to a different mounting point so the box could raise and lower without repositioning the mud flaps each time, this is not how they come but one way to make it pose able. If the mud flaps were rubber and could connect via blots/nuts, this problem would not exist. To my knowledge, there are no 1/87 scale bolts that work ::)

and in the dumping position, hydraulic cylinder supplied in kit, yeah, I like that

in a coal mine setting...........from a West Virginia Caol mine (image from the net)

another one, out of focus slightly but all in fun here.......

when you don't live near a coal mine, you have to improvise......maybe I will try another round later.

Jim.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 12:33:32 AM by JJG »

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 12:18:24 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs