If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: 2017 Large Car Mag Southern Classic (Updated 11-27-18)  (Read 258 times)

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
2017 Large Car Mag Southern Classic (Updated 11-27-18)
« on: November 24, 2018, 07:27:43 PM »
It wouldn't feel right doing coverage of the 2018 show if I didn't do my coverage from 2017 first, so here we are. There was a variety of reasons I never shared this, the main one being after I finished editing these last year I found an entirely new/better method of editing, and I didn't feel going back and redoing it all over again. So I put it off, and now I have coverage from 2017 and 2018 to share. Please excuse all the grain, the first day I went down there the conditions were miserable and I tried to make the best of it.

I'll start off with a set of a few show trucks I took that were sitting at the Petro in Raphine off 81. Two of these I caught coming out of the Blue Beacon, but I didn't realize what a terrible spot I was at until I saw the pics so I did some heavy editing to get rid of the lights.

First up, stashed all the way in the back of the Petro Raphine was this clean 379 for MH Transport of Plain City, OH:

Next we have this nice SFFA Pinnacle for T.W. Menges Trucking of Grantsville, MD. I did a little after/before so you can see how terrible my original shot was:

Then we have this LTL9000 for Kurtz Enterprize out of that Ephrata, PA conglomerate of small outfits with a bunch of clean working show rigs that I know you guys have seen before (Nolt/Kurtz/etc.)

And here's a clean 379 from Slaymaker Rentals of Washington Boro, PA:

Next up at the actual show one of the early arrivals was this pair of W900's for Grimes Enterprises out of Dailey, WV:

And here's a couple group shots featuring the Grimes Enterprises W9's. The Petes next to the Grimes are a pair of small outfits out of that York/Lancaster/Ephrata hotbed in PA. The Pete next to the Grimes W9's is a Paul Zook rig, not sure if he traded that or if he has another rig but he brought an old school W9 to the show this year.

This was just a tease, I'll start getting into the bulk of it this week.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 08:05:25 PM by partsman88 »

Hank's Truck Forum

2017 Large Car Mag Southern Classic (Updated 11-27-18)
« on: November 24, 2018, 07:27:43 PM »

JJG

Re: 2017 Large Car Mag Southern Classic
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 10:31:29 PM »
Nice start.........I thought the originals were pretty good really but either way, great stuff!

Jim

Wreckerman

• Regular Membership
  • 🇺🇸
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 01:13:18 PM »
Oh man, that LTL9000 is gorgeous! 8)
The big T800 rotator in the last shot sure is a sharp looking beast.
Also, as usual, the editing is top notch. ;)
Move Over & Slow Down for Stopped Emergency Vehicles.
This Includes Tow Trucks and Their Operators.

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 06:52:02 PM »
Thanks Jim. Maybe it's just me but I felt all the light poles ruined those shots, but I wasn't willing to give them up.  Other than the clouds I'm pleased with how they came out afterwards. And thanks Wreckerman! The LTL9000 isn't my favorite Ford rig but it's definitely nice to see something unique like that still in great shape. Also I'll have to dig up some shots of that T800 rotator, it's a regular at the show every year and I believe I have pictures of it from the 2016 show somewhere.

Here's a couple night shots taken from the first night at the show:

Pete 379 for Travis Miller of Upton, KY:

Pete 379 for Floyd Martin of East Earl, PA:

Kenworth W900A for Jim Lammon of Grass Lake, MI:

Night shot of the Grimes Enterprises rigs:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 06:53:50 PM by partsman88 »

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 08:05:07 PM »
Last year I followed through on my plan to set up the day before the show started to catch all the trucks arriving. Had some success with it as there was a pair of separate convoys that all arrived, the first convoy was made up mostly of operators out of PA like Nolt, Kurtz, etc. and the second was a convoy of Bill Warner and Hinkle Trucking rigs which I will post later. The weather didn't cooperate and most of these shots are pretty grainy but it is what it is. Hope you guys enjoy:

First up we have a W900A for Kristopher Bair of New Oxford, PA. The USDOT # has since been deactivated.

Next we have a W900A for Kurtz Enterprize of Ephrata, PA:

Next up is a 359 for Nolt Boyz of Ephrata, PA:

Then we have a Mack Superliner pulling for Dutch Country Transport (a Virgil Nolt operation) of Ephrata, PA:

Peterbilt 379 for Hoover Trucking of Stevens, PA:

Kenworth W900B for Brent Miller Trucking of Allenwood, PA:

W900B for ES Musser Carriers of Stevens, PA:

The LTL9000 for Kurtz Enterprize of Ephrata, PA:

Pete 386 for N W Fritz Trucking of Bloomsburg, PA:

1987 Freightliner Classic for B Hill Trucking of Toano, VA:

FLB lease operator for A&B Trucking of Frametown, WV:

W900B for M&R Express of Shippensburg, PA:

Pete 389 for Tyler Trucking of Joe's Creek, WV:

JJG

Re: 2017 Large Car Mag Southern Classic (Updated 11-27-18)
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 11:07:22 PM »
The night shots turned out very well, the others are fine too, sometimes when the sun is not out, the colours are clearer so the trade off isn't all bad! I like that FLC120, pretty simple and pure, that Kurtz KW is sweet too.

Jim

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 03:25:47 PM »
Thanks Jim! Plenty more where that came from. And you make a good point about the colors being the right exposure. I don't mind light-to-medium clouds but when it's that cloudy it gets more grainy because there's less light available.

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 06:27:02 PM »
The 717 gang has some amazing trucks  :).i'm a little perturbed that I haven't caught any of them myself. >:( The FLB & I were leapfrogging each other last week in VA......it's a very sharp cabover & glad you caught it. 8) I saw maybe 5-6 COEs last week that i'd never seen before :).don't know where they've been hiding but maybe i'll have better luck on trips down south in January. ;D

Wreckerman

• Regular Membership
  • 🇺🇸
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 02:04:48 PM »
Gotta say, the night shots are superb. 8)
Out of curiosity, I'd assume you employed a tripod and your cameras bulb timer?

The Superliner and the FLB sure look good.
First thing that popped into my mind on the FLB was "got wheelbase?". ;D
The W900B looks good too, I've always liked when trucks have brightly painted frames, definitely adds class.
Move Over & Slow Down for Stopped Emergency Vehicles.
This Includes Tow Trucks and Their Operators.

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 04:21:15 PM »
The 717 gang has some amazing trucks  :).i'm a little perturbed that I haven't caught any of them myself. >:( The FLB & I were leapfrogging each other last week in VA......it's a very sharp cabover & glad you caught it. 8) I saw maybe 5-6 COEs last week that i'd never seen before :).don't know where they've been hiding but maybe i'll have better luck on trips down south in January. ;D

Keep your eyes out Charlie, I've caught a couple of these PA rigs around here and they come to the SC every year. Glad you caught the FLB though. I have a few more shots of some COE regulars from around here too, there aren't many but there are a few. Best of luck on your future endeavors to my neck of the woods :).

Gotta say, the night shots are superb. 8)
Out of curiosity, I'd assume you employed a tripod and your cameras bulb timer?

The Superliner and the FLB sure look good.
First thing that popped into my mind on the FLB was "got wheelbase?". ;D
The W900B looks good too, I've always liked when trucks have brightly painted frames, definitely adds class.

Thanks Wreckerman. Yeah, all those long exposures use a tripod. Rarely switch away from shutter speed priority mode for those, I have a good feel for most situations depending on lighting now. You can check my settings on my Flickr page, I post all my EXIF data so anybody can learn. Feel free to ask if you need help.

The Superliner was one of my favs' too, it was popular enough at the show he pulled it out and set it up on the dock over there so me + others could get a "loading" shot of it. I'll be sharing that later.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 04:49:12 PM by partsman88 »

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 04:21:15 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs