If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: MACK TERRAPRO MCNEILUS FRONT LOAD PACKER  (Read 398 times)

JJG

MACK TERRAPRO MCNEILUS FRONT LOAD PACKER
« on: November 05, 2018, 02:06:41 AM »
Just in from First Gear (I missed out on the first run), here is the first look (for me) at this item, a welcome subject to the modelling world. I have often contemplated building one of these packers but glad I waited, this one is worthy of a few details and or a re-build and it will be a very cool addition to my collection! In the larger scales, the detail is a little better as the interior in not included in this one (black glass- that will go) and the forks are not functional.

I did figure the item had to be separate from the die cast body and it is, so I carefully pried it loose and broke it free, then drilled out the pivot point and set in  pins to make it functional

You can see where the locating pins have been cut free (on the top of the body to the upper front section of the arms. The basic arms now move but the actual forks have not yet been changed -I may not go to that extreme- time will tell

The rest of the detail is quite usable, the wheels are a 5 hole style, likely meant to be steel painted white which is quite likely what I will do on this one. The exhaust , air breather and DEF filter details are there, just need to be detail painted and a few modifications to the chassis such as tanks and battery boxes would help.

Overall, first impressions are good, it is pricey but there are a lot of parts to it. It sure beats having to scratch build all the parts! The body is in several parts, the rear gate is plastic as are the forks and the inner front panel, the chassis and details are also plastic but the cab is metal: a little deceiving as the gloss paint gives them the look of die cast metal. I will re-paint it so stripping the paint is a must as it is a little thick to start with, glad I did not set the whole thing in thinners as the plastic parts have to be stripped in alcohol or oven cleaner.

Jim.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 01:58:23 AM by JJG »

Hank's Truck Forum

MACK TERRAPRO MCNEILUS FRONT LOAD PACKER
« on: November 05, 2018, 02:06:41 AM »

JJG

Re: MACK TERRAPRO MCNELIUS FRONT LOAD PACKER
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 02:05:34 AM »
If you're gonna take these apart, be ready for a panstaking 2 hrs!! Good grief, why they have to unload a tube of ZAP to those "black" windows ALONG with the rivets, then pins on grille mushroomed over but that isn't enough.....ZAP that in too ....and all the other parts but.....it is dismantled

Not going to dismantle the chassis as some detail painting in place will likely suffice for that

and here the cab and main body stripped to bare metal, detailing is crisp so a nice "tight" re-paint should be one to showcase it all

The cab gaurd and tailgate are stripped too, they are now glued back into place, that will be in the next photo batch

Jim

Peterbilt1

Re: MACK TERRAPRO MCNELIUS FRONT LOAD PACKER
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 04:48:10 PM »
Jim that's coming along very nicely.

JJG

Re: MACK TERRAPRO MCNEILUS FRONT LOAD PACKER
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 02:09:21 AM »
Thanks Mark!

assembled, ready to go to the paint shop

out of the paint shop mocked up

the other side

detailing begins along with some assembly. I found some Herpa wide tires to put up front

Jim.

rch

• Regular Membership
    • designs by he6agon
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 08:21:20 AM »
Looks great so far. I honestly didn't expect those wheels to clean up that nicely.

Out of curiosity, what time period is this model Mack and refuse body appropriate for? I'm wondering if it would fit in the late 80s or if I should just go with the Ratcliffe resin kit.

JJG

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 10:27:59 PM »
Thanks Ryan, yes, the wheels do come up quite well.

I think the main difference between the 80's and more modern is basically the steel sides were braced both horizontally and vertically in box sections much like on the RH side of the packer where the access door is. Also, they didn't seem to have the outward roll in the earlier ones, that roll allowing more strength in single steel sides (no ribs).

The Ratcliffe body is certainly more period correct for earlier models but it is a rear loader instead of front loader. Ratccliffe offered the Mack MR series cab, identical to the Terrapro except the grille and headlight bezels are rectangular with grille mesh. The Terrapro seems to be about an early 2000s to current.

Jim.

rch

• Regular Membership
    • designs by he6agon
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 11:28:10 AM »
These front loaders have always been interesting to me, but for what I'm modeling the rear loaders are probably more appropriate or common. My plan was to mate a rear loader to an Athearn Ford C cab/chassis. I was working on drawings of a Leach rear loader but I stopped once I saw the Ratcliffe kit. Still, the front loaders are tempting.

If I decided to take on a front loader, it might be better for me to scratchbuild a front loader based on this model than to try to modify the barrel section toward the rear. I think reusing the lifting mechanism instead of scratchbuilding it would be the way to go.

Anyway, the model looks great!

JJG

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 11:35:33 PM »
These front loaders have always been interesting to me, but for what I'm modeling the rear loaders are probably more appropriate or common. My plan was to mate a rear loader to an Athearn Ford C cab/chassis. I was working on drawings of a Leach rear loader but I stopped once I saw the Ratcliffe kit. Still, the front loaders are tempting.

If I decided to take on a front loader, it might be better for me to scratchbuild a front loader based on this model than to try to modify the barrel section toward the rear. I think reusing the lifting mechanism instead of scratchbuilding it would be the way to go.

Anyway, the model looks great!

Ryan, I have also wanted to build one for a long time, the loading arms/forks have been the biggest deterrent, so, I agree, with a partial curbside model -somewhat functional- I am glad I waited! There is a lot of detail here that would have been quite challenging to build. 

Jim.

JJG

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 11:42:40 PM »
Moving along with the project and speaking of somewhat functional, this is as good as it gets for loading up the bin

now the windows, that really makes the difference between a toy and a model IMO

first adding the windshield divisional bar and the side sliding window dividers, windshield is flush mounted and side glass is from inside, all acetate from blister packs
the bulldog re-installed and a fire extinguisher from Boley along with A-Line safety stripes applied

Now for the unique wipers, thought I had some A-Line dual arm wipers or even a Classic Metal Works from the GMC Greyhound bus, can't fine them -after the move, I have not yet found everything back-  so back to the bench we go ::)

Jim.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 11:47:22 PM by JJG »

JJG

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 10:34:37 PM »
The wipers are scratch-built from staple and sheet plastic cut to strips and installed

a view from the other side.

Jim.

Peterbilt1

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 12:06:14 PM »
Jim,

That turned out pretty slick looking as always.  Your work never stops blowing me away.

JJG

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 10:36:28 PM »
Thanks Mark!

Jim.

Wreckerman

• Regular Membership
  • 🇺🇸
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 10:56:10 PM »
Wow, that's really cool. 8)
Nice to see something different, nice job!
As a side note, a slang term for trash trucks is  "maggot wagons", because they always have a plentiful supply of the nasty critters. ;D
Move Over & Slow Down for Stopped Emergency Vehicles.
This Includes Tow Trucks and Their Operators.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 04:57:59 AM »
Jim - the detail you show is amazing.
I can hardly see anything that small!
I sound like a broken record when I congratulate you on another wonderful model.

The wipers are scratch-built from staple and sheet plastic cut to strips and installed
Jim.

JJG

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 12:09:10 PM »
Thanks guys!

Maggot wagon....yeah, that pretty much sums it up hey.......disgusting really, these trucks. They have a look and as a kid I was so impressed with how they work. There's no shortage of rats either, I'm sure many go for a nice ride to their new home where they feel they just went to heaven....till the dozer takes some out!

Rob, yeah, that detail.......that takes a bit now too, hard to see but I have a steady hand yet so that sure helps!!

Jim.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 12:09:10 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs