If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: New Equipment Sightings  (Read 1440663 times)

CowCruzer

New Equipment Sightings
« on: August 22, 2004, 02:27:07 PM »
Down around Salt Lake I've seen some of Saia's new trucks.  They're Volvo VNL's, but they're tandem axle.  Does anyone know the reasoning for this?  Is it more for when they get rid of the trucks?

Also, Old Dominion is running a bunch of Freightliner Columbia's, but they're the new 112 BBC ones.  And on their new con gears they've got the wide-based super single tires.

Sorry, no pics.  Most of the time when I spot one I'm trying to drive.

Hank's Truck Forum

New Equipment Sightings
« on: August 22, 2004, 02:27:07 PM »

Steve_WI

Re: New Equipment Sightings
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 07:07:44 PM »
Quote from: CowCruzer

Also, Old Dominion is running a bunch of Freightliner Columbia's, but they're the new 112 BBC ones.  And on their new con gears they've got the wide-based super single tires.

I never knew Old Dominion ran Columbia's until I saw a picture of one in Overdrive Magazine recently.  I have yet to see an Old Dominion truck around here in my neck of the woods.

And not to go off topic but I picked up a Truckpaper the other day and noticed alot of Marten Transport (Mondovi, WI) and IWX Motor Freight (Springfield, MO) Freightliner Columbia's up for sale.  Wonder what they are runnin these days.
Dec. 23, 2008 The end of an era at GM Janesville.

ddot430

• Regular Membership
    • My Myspace page
New Equipment Sightings
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 08:48:06 AM »
i spotted one of Steven's Transport new T2000 a couple of days ago parked at the Flying J in Billings, MT getting fuel.
See you on down the road jack!!

mike b

New Equipment Sightings
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 09:27:28 PM »
I have been seeing alot of Knight refrigerated  379 Peterbilts out here on I-5. These trucks are gray in color and only have the standard length hood.

I saw a Crete 387 today, by the looks of it I am fairly sure it was a company owned truck, not a leaser :?: .

Steve_WI

New Equipment Sightings
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 11:14:12 AM »
Quote from: mike b
I have been seeing alot of Knight refrigerated  379 Peterbilts out here on I-5. These trucks are gray in color and only have the standard length hood.

Why would they be grey and not red like the rest of the Knight trucks? :?  

I saw a Crete 387 today, by the looks of it I am fairly sure it was a company owned truck, not a leaser :?: .

I have seen a Crete 387 too a few months back.  Overall not a bad looking truck, I think.

mike b

New Equipment Sightings
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 01:30:26 AM »
Quote from: Justin Moritz
the gray looks sooooooooo much better, but i thought they were short hoods?

I agree, there are way to many red tractors on the road today. It seems like the only two colors fleet buyer know anymore is white or red. Yes those Knight 379s are standard hoods AKA short hoods. The way they are setup they remind me of the 379s Interstate Dis use to run.

CW

• Regular Membership
    • http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/wendt.htm
New Equipment Sightings
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 10:54:26 PM »
CowCruzer, the Saia tandems are for triples and mountainous runs.  We were told that there would be one per terminal, with obvious exceptions in the Northwest.  Runs from say Phoenix to Tonopah, NV will run two pups and from Tonopah to Reno and back they will run triples.

CowCruzer

New Equipment Sightings
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2004, 01:20:19 PM »
Thanks for the info CW.  I just thought it was a little odd that they were running tandems, but that makes quite a bit of sense.  They are nice looking Volvo's, very eye catching.

ddot430

• Regular Membership
    • My Myspace page
New Equipment Sightings
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 01:28:46 PM »
i have been seeing a lot of the light brown May trucks lately is May changing colors - will all the black may trucks be gone soon
See you on down the road jack!!

mike b

New Equipment Sightings
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 11:00:36 PM »
I saw two red Knight 379 standard hoods today pulling dry vans 8) .

Steve_WI

New Equipment Sightings
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 06:54:27 AM »
Saw the other day a Freightliner Columbia belonging to Trac Inc. of Menomonie, WI.   It had a midroof sleeper (58"?).  All the trucks I have seen up until now were Pete 385s with 48"unibilt ultracabs.  Trac Inc is highly visable on the road with their all dark blue tractor trailers.  Its a dry van carrier.  

Saw an International 9000I series (9200i or 9400i) belonging to Schuster Trucking of Lemars, IA with a 72" Skyrise sleeper.  Internationals version of the condo.  Previously they were running International 9200i with 72" pro sleepers which is a midroof.  They have some for sale in truckpaper.

CowCruzer

New Equipment Sightings
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2004, 02:15:32 PM »
I see that Jim Palmer is getting some short hood W900's.  I met one the other day.  Had the 72" Aerocab Aerodyne sleeper, and it looked like about a 244" WB.  Same graphics as the Pete's have.  Nice looking truck none the less.

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
New Equipment Sightings
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2004, 03:41:36 PM »
Saw several 387 Pete's from National Freight today (blue trucks) out of Vineland, N.J.

Steve_WI

New Equipment Sightings
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2004, 02:16:48 PM »
I don't know if this is new equipment,  but I saw a Kolbe & Kolbe Freightliner Century condo.  The only trucks I have seen used by them were some old Fords.

Steve_WI

New Equipment Sightings
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2004, 06:58:36 AM »
Well here's a another new one, at least to me anyways.

Saw a Walgreen's Pharmacy International 8600 parked down the street from me.  Here's what I wrote down.  White in color with roof fairing.  Truck number is: 65387.  Tandem axle.  CAT engine, all steel wheels, single exhaust, grey plastic front bumper with 2 lights, hood mounted mirrors,and dual tanks.  There was also some weird looking box like object behind the cab.  Roughly 2 feet wide by 6 or 7 feel tall.  Made out of steel, unpainted.  I thought it might hold load locks, but Im not positive.  There was nothing in it as this was just a bobtail unit.

Never really cared for the styling of the 8600, but now that I have seen it in person and up close, it's growing on me.  Sure is one great daycab for intercity work.

Hank's Truck Forum

New Equipment Sightings
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2004, 06:58:36 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs