If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Copyright infringement  (Read 334 times)

rgaskill66

• Regular Membership
Copyright infringement
« on: September 04, 2018, 04:09:40 PM »
I admin a couple of pages on Facebook. I try to be very careful not to use copyrighted photos and do an image search of photos I am unsure of. Pinterest makes that very difficult. I usually have to scroll through dozens of Pinterest photos before I find the photo source. A lot of photos from Hanks are shared from Pinterest to Facebook groups. One is a real problem, Fallen Flags -- Former Trucking Companies of the past. Hank's pictures show up here regularly. I realize the posters got them from Pinterest and didn't realize the were copyrighted. A couple of other members and I will tell posters the photos are not allowed to be posted on Facebook. In only a couple of instances did the poster remove the photo. Often a heated discussion starts with all kinds of ignorant insults about anything on the internet is free to use. This photo was posted by Billy Kidd in the Fallen Flags group and is still there. When informed the photo was copyrighted Kidd became abusive and defiant, cursing and saying he wasn't removing the photo. http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/t_brad_dunkin/2009/04-20/file005.jpg The problem is the admin of the page. They could and should remove the photos but they don't.
There are actions that can be taken to end these unauthorized uses. The least punitive action is a complaint of copyright infringement to Facebook. That will get a page suspended or possibly permanently shut down. The Facebook link to file a complaint is here. https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/634636770043106
The real problem is Pinterest. Pinterest claims they won't allow copyright infringement and their policies are stated here. https://policy.pinterest.com/en/copyright .
Pinterest page owners are in effect claiming they own the photos. That makes them serious violators of copyright laws. I have read several articles by bloggers that got sued after unintentional use of copyrighted photos. One got a letter demanding $8,000. The consulted their attorney who advised them to settle. There is no defense. They settled for $3,000. Making these violators pay and putting the fear of God in others isn't difficult or expensive. There are attorneys that handle these cases on a contingency basis and take about 40% so if you had 20 Pinterest page owners use your photo 60% of $24,000 isn't small change. Those posters often remove watermarks which can mean increased amounts in settlements. Section 1202 of the U.S. Copyright Act makes it illegal for someone to remove the watermark from your photo so that it can disguise the infringement when used. The fines start at $2500 and go to $25,000 in addition to attorneys' fees and any damages for the infringement.
It isn't hard to see if your photo is being used without authorization. All you have to do is do an image search for the photo. I hate to see people pulling their collections and leaving because of unauthorized use. It doesn't help. Those photos are still on Pinterest and will continue to be used. The only way to stop unauthorized use is to report every violation and sue the worst offenders.

Hank's Truck Forum

Copyright infringement
« on: September 04, 2018, 04:09:40 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs