If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: 36 Years Young?  (Read 208 times)

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
36 Years Young?
« on: August 30, 2018, 08:17:09 PM »
This is a drive-by shot (literally as the car never quite came to a stop) taken at Truckworld in Hubbard Ohio last week.  I didn't really get any info on the truck, though it has Wisconsin plates.

The script on the front of the hood reads "Nineteen Eighty Two", so if that really means it is an'82 model, that would make it one of the first B-models produced as I believe that is the year they came out.

It's amazing how well a 36 year old truck can fit in in 2018.  Imagine though if it had been parked in the same spot when new (which is a totally realistic supposition) but picture a working 36 year old tractor next to it, a '46 model I guess.  How disparate would that be? :o

Hank's Truck Forum

36 Years Young?
« on: August 30, 2018, 08:17:09 PM »

JJG

Re: 36 Years Young?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 10:18:39 PM »
You think outside the box Paul ::)....but I like it....and you're right, can't remember seeing a '46 in service back in '82, not even in the construction application. I suppose the conclusion here would be we have not really made many changes of significance in the past 36 years!! Now, if that would be a Tesla truck next to it, then yeah, a '46 on the other side would be fitting?

Nice catch!

Jim.

Wreckerman

• Regular Membership
  • 🇺🇸
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 12:13:44 PM »
Interesting observation.
I think the W900 (B or L) are a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". :)
The W9 is very timeless, but look at a 359 from the same year and it's pretty obvious that it's an older rig, but either one is able to keep up with modern stuff.
But a 1982 Autocar or IH or a Freightliner are pretty much antique truck show material now, with very very few working, especially over the road.
I think because Pete and KW were well built premium rigs then, as they are now, they have held up very well.
Could a 2018 389 or W900 be on the road in 36 years? Probably. But a 2018 Volvo VNL or a IH Lonestar? Almost certainly not, except very rarely.
Anyway, great catch and a very thought provoking one to! 8)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 07:51:16 PM by Wreckerman »
Move Over & Slow Down for Stopped Emergency Vehicles.
This Includes Tow Trucks and Their Operators.

RobG

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 04:57:37 PM »
It has the wrong headlight surrounds for a 1982,in '82 they were indented in the fender,as opposed to sticking out.That is something that could be easily changed in 36 years.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 04:57:37 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs