If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: 1978 FREIGHTLINER FL8664 CONVERSION  (Read 851 times)

JJG

1978 FREIGHTLINER FL8664 CONVERSION
« on: June 04, 2018, 01:12:51 AM »
Taking an Athearn White Freightliner and transforming it into a Freightliner is not as authentic and accurate as I would like but in this scale it is very hard to tell the difference. The most noticeable changes were in the 1973, White Freightliner offered the wider cab along with the wider 3 vertical rung grille leaving the single vertical bar, although there were both offered for some time but not that I can find after the 1977 model year. The old grille also had finer mesh then the 3 rung and as luck would have it, Herpa did offer the Freightliner but I find the cab not to be as accurate and it is even narrower then Athearn.  This was also the final year for the White involvement which started to dissipate after terminating the agreement announced in 1975.

First off, 15 years ago, Athearn did some re-tooling of the details from the original version offered in 1973(ish?) which had inset glass and no chrome, no windshield wipers, single air horn, single exhaust stack an even the rear cross member of the chassis was slightly altered to accept a mud flap bracket absent in the original.  None of the owner operator paint schemes were available in the original either. The cab however, was absolutely way ahead of its time in terms of accuracy an detail, IMO one of the best if not the best injection molded cabs to datein this scale. All that being said, with the updated details this kit became even better then before as we can see.

My son Jamie wasted no time when the new version was released to do his conversion shown below, he was 15 or 16 years old then

using his choice of the stunning factory paint jobs.

Now, forward to 2018 and I am finally converting my paint scheme of choice on these fine kits, this also shows the original version, fine mesh single bar grille, round wheel opening with 2 steps and split font bumper -wheels shown here are just for the build process-

changing out the wheel opening requires some tedious work saving the paint, adding the wheel flare and entry ladder type step

these units are an absolute pig to dismantle so we chose not to for the most part, what you see here just would not come apart without the fear of breaking so with only clear coat required ( they seem to be just base colours, no clear), the best way is to mask the glass from the inside and just clear coat everything, worked well for him and now my turn, the  white being matched first and touched up at bottom before clear applied

Jamie made the deeper centre bumper and grafting a Herpa Freightliner grille/intake, I made a mold of it back then and we ran off some castings so not to have to do that part twice, mocked into position with grille having some liquid chrome added over graphite for the mesh, the bumper is still resin cast

exhaust brackets made up to avoid mounting to back of cab, A-Line fuel tanks replacing the originals down sized from 150 gal to 120 gal per side, chassis also shortened

Jim
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 01:29:39 AM by JJG »

Hank's Truck Forum

1978 FREIGHTLINER FL8664 CONVERSION
« on: June 04, 2018, 01:12:51 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

JJG

Re: 1978 FREIGHTLINER FL8664 CONVERSION
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 12:14:17 AM »
back from the paint shop, the colour has been matched for the chassis, starting with a 60's Chrysler colour and tinting it, here it is applied to the chassis

from the rear

and now the detailing continues, interior installed with a modified engine tunnel to accept a Cummins engine out of the Herpa Freightliner kit, Alcoa rims from A-Line, Liquid Chrome applied

Jim
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 12:16:27 AM by JJG »

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 03:48:03 AM »
Enjoying this one for sure.
 8)

tery

• Regular Membership
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 06:04:50 AM »
That Freightliner looks like a Midwest Coast tractor out of Sioux Falls , South Dakota .
In the 70's their trucks were green & white . It was an owner operator reefer outfit .
Midwest Coast only leased classy equipment ... and they would run !
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 08:37:15 AM by tery »
________ IH 9670 ________

JJG

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 11:30:01 PM »
Terry; that was certainly a common colour combo for these, probably several  smaller fleets had these in different colour combos, I remember some with the blue and some with red, all looked quite nice!

Here is a look at the close colour match I had initially found, however, when calling in that paint code to my supplier, it was not available in the paint line I use, so, the 1969 Chrysler colour was the 2nd choice

the truck is almost done here, I want to add heat shield to the exhaust yet, the original mufflers were used, the straight tops cut off and curved tips fabricated from aluminum tube. A sun visor scratch built from plastic sheet and liquid chrome applied

mirrors were clipped at the base to bring them in a little closer to the wide cab as they are on the prototype. 1/4 fenders installed, deck plate and the mudflap bracket re-attached, the original rear wheels sets -all holes drilled out to show black- but with the larger A-Line tires to match the front

Jim.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 11:46:58 PM by JJG »

JJG

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 09:52:00 PM »
 a head to head view

the Masterbuilt heat shields installed

and hooked into the Lonestar Wilson's grain trailer

this one is finished!

Jim.

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 04:46:25 AM »
Wow!!! :) Looks good with the grain box. 8)

Kurt_H

• Regular Membership
    • Trucks87
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 11:26:31 PM »
Yes, charlie is right, the Freightliner looks awesome!

Kurt

Peterbilt1

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 06:32:05 AM »
That truck is giving me the fever........... The ol freightliner fever

Awesome job as always

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 06:32:05 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs