If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: The Big Announcement  (Read 4049 times)

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
The Big Announcement
« on: May 13, 2018, 04:54:43 PM »
I bet a lot of you won't be really shocked...did you think I would really go back to pulling a flatbed OTR full-time? Haha. The secret I've been sitting on since I hired on at Fife Trucking is that I was getting a set of belly dumps! I've known all along and the time has finally arrived. We picked up a used set of Bealls (1994s) two months ago, I went to Montana and picked them up myself. They needed quite a bit of work replacing brakes and suspension, but the bodies and gates are super straight and have a few extra lights. I took them and had them acid washed before they even went to work and had vinyl diamonds made for the service doors on the back. I've been pulling them working for Staker/Parson all last week, the same customer I worked for with Francis most of the time. I ran the Ogden trap haul front and center with the Francis drivers as well, kind of fun being back again. In order to set us up with Parsons, we had to get higher liability insurance, so he's even set me apart from the rest of his trucks with a new company, L Fife Transportation with new lettering on the truck and the works. I've now separated from Tramcor completely and I just dispatch myself with Parsons until they slow down this winter. Now as long as the boss follows through and allows me to lease on with Eliason pulling a reefer this winter, I'll be a happy boy. I just need a couple more mudflaps and weights and get my gate air tank drains all replaced (they're all broken or seized) and they'll be right uptown! In fact, this belly dump set is the whole reason the boss wanted to hire me...he needed someone with experience in the dirt to help him expand with his second set and get in with a new customer. Hope this is a great summer for me!
This was the day I brought them home...a lovely shade of brown, haha. They had almost a complete set of hubcaps and lugnut covers, but the mechanic threw them all away.

After a little acid love turned them white.

Eight mudflap weights installed, two still to come.

Class...you either have it, or you don't.

Hank's Truck Forum

The Big Announcement
« on: May 13, 2018, 04:54:43 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Hanky

Re: The Big Announcement
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 05:01:05 AM »
Great news Ryan, been a while since you were here was getting worried.

Chris_E

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 05:13:35 AM »
Congratulations on the new endeavor Ryan! I hope this is a profitable endeavor for you!
The foot turned to the horse, the horse to the carriage, the carriage to the train, and the train to the truck.

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 05:19:12 AM »
Congrats Ryan. :) I was thinking you were going out on your own but I was wrong. ;D

tery

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 05:41:33 AM »
You have a good looking rig for sure ... keep the rubber side down .
__________ In memory of drivers __________
 Red Ball , Georgia Fox , Yardbird , Diamond Doll

Jon_G

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 12:26:59 PM »

Great news and congratulations!

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 07:31:12 AM »
Thanks folks! So far so good, three weeks in. Still just been running the Ogden trap with the Francis trucks, but making a few more dollars a day than I used to, haha. Trailers have been working well, haven't missed a load yet. It's a little more responsibility than Francis was...I do the billing to Parsons myself and I will be negotiating rates on jobs myself as well. Plus the fact that I don't have a shop and a yard anymore...I fuel at truckstops, have to buy fluids and parts where I can (I get reimbursed), have to find an air hose to air up tires, there's nowhere to clean out the inside of my beds other than the gravel pit, and it's up to me to make sure the truck is ready to go to work everyday. It's a little like being an owner/operator but without the expense, haha. It sounds like starting Wednesday, I'll be doing a "mill and fill" up by Bear Lake for the next month. We'll be loaded both ways, making two rounds a day over Sardine and Logan Canyons. Hauling asphalt up from Brigham and tailings from the rotomill machine back. Pays the truck hourly. It will be very demanding of the truck and the schedule won't have much flexibility, so it's been stressful the last few days getting everything ready for the job.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 06:21:43 AM »
Well, been getting quite a bit of work done on the truck and trailers lately getting ready for the big paving job and the DOT blitz. I've added more mudflaps and weights to the trailers, worked on a few lights on the truck, got a set of half fenders on, and got a good wash. I ended up getting lucky and only have to be loaded one way on the Bear Lake job. The paving foreman said he doesn't want to ruin my day putting tailings in these aluminum trailers, so I'm just hauling asphalt...which is a huge relief because it turns out, my truck is not good with that kind of weight in the mountains. Everything gets super hot and I really have to baby it and watch it, so it's good that she can catch her breath on the way back from the paver. Last Wednesday was the first day on the job, but they got rained out Thursday, so I hauled rock from the Pisgah pit on Sardine summit to the cement plant in Croydon, three loads a day, on Thursday and Friday. We are hitting the paving job hard this week, so I worked on it yesterday and I'm about to go load for it today. Should be on this until Thursday night. I'm hoping to paint diamonds on my mudflaps on the tractor this weekend and get all the aluminum polished. The truck is really coming along, other things on my list would just be removing the headache rack, getting some air cleaner lights, and finish fixing the rest of the lights on it.

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 04:10:01 PM »
Sounds like you got a good deal with no back haul there, congrats. And I'm sure the rig will look nice with some air cleaner lights on it too, are you thinking 3/5/7? Just out of curiosity as I'm not familiar with belly dumps, how do you load the paver with those? And how hard is it cleaning the leftover asphalt/tar out of them? The asphalt dumps around here always have some crusted on the back.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 06:25:44 AM »
Thanks! I'm not sure what type of air cleaner lights we'll go for, honestly I don't even know what's available for an International, haha. They pave with bellies around here quite a bit, they have a pick-up machine called a shuttle buggy that goes along picking up the asphalt windrow we lay in front of it and then it dumps it in the paver. We spray the inside of the beds with an asphalt release agent called slippery wizard before each load and that keeps it from sticking. There's an oily film inside, but no chunks, so I just have to haul a couple loads of half inch rock to a hot plant when we're done paving and it'll clean out. However, I do accumulate some asphalt on the bottom of the gates, backsides of mudflaps, and even on my axles and brake cans by dragging over the windrow as they unload me. I just have a spray bottle full of diesel and I spray everything down at the end of everyday.

After five days of paving last week, I took a couple "tanker" loads up Ogden Canyon to a summer home community. I loaded magnesium chloride water out at Compass Minerals, they spray it on dirt roads to keep dust down and firm up the road surface. Now I'm back to paving again yesterday and today...think I'll go get the truck washed before I load today.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 04:44:47 AM »
After paving up by Bear Lake Sunday through Thursday last week, I had a three day weekend to get some polishing done and paint diamonds on my mudflaps. I also got to catch up on chores, see some family and friends, and even relax a little bit. Turns out the stepbox lids are anodized, so they won't shine up...might end up buying stainless covers for them. Monday it was raining too much to pave, but there was a stockpile of tailings from the job that had to be moved down to Brigham, so I still got my two loads in (it worked out better hauling tailings after they had cooled and my trailers weren't hot from a load of asphalt). I'll just keep paving up there through tomorrow, I'm also due for a short service and another truck wash, so Saturday may end up busy as well (and we start next week on Sunday again). My wife was out of town for a couple days this week and considering I've been working fourteen hour days lately, I decided I'd better just take my dog along. He loves car rides, but he didn't know what to think about the truck, haha. Besides the dog hair mess (which has already been cleaned up), it went pretty well though.

Wreckerman

• Regular Membership
  • 🇺🇸
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 08:19:28 AM »
Wow, the 9900 is looking good! 8)
It's cool you can take your dog, it's nice to have company sometimes.
Move Over & Slow Down for Stopped Emergency Vehicles.
This Includes Tow Trucks and Their Operators.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 08:39:02 PM »
Wow, the 9900 is looking good! 8)
It's cool you can take your dog, it's nice to have company sometimes.

Thank you!

...and I'm glad I experienced taking the dog, it was kind of fun. The girl that sprays our beds down before we load the asphalt fell in love with him, haha.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 02:12:21 PM »
Crazy couple of weeks finishing up the mill and fill on SR30. Worked sixty nine hours last week and did twelve loads of asphalt, had Saturday off, and two more loads on Sunday to finish it up. Monday was LONG...I took a load of hotplant material to Smithfield, bounced to Trenton to load roadbase for the same job we've been paving (they will use it to shoulder the road), unloaded and reloaded tailings from the stockpile we made on the job, hauled them to Smithfield, then back to Trenton for more roadbase, unloaded and reloaded with more tailings, which I took home to Brigham. Yesterday was a bit more relaxed, I ran the Ogden trap, but tomorrow I'm back on the roadbase/tailings duty. When we get done with the roadbase, I think they'll have us haul seal chips up there for the chip seal they will do over the new asphalt. What a big job!

Here's a couple pictures I took at work last week.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 05:21:18 PM »
Well, after hauling the road base for shouldering, I did in fact haul seal chips up to Sage Creek Junction for awhile. Also hauled asphalt again...one day to patch a spot they needed to re-do on SR30 and three days to a separate job in the same area, but I THINK I'm done hauling up Logan Canyon to Bear Lake, which is great because I think the truck has had about all it can take of all the pulling on the mountain. I hauled the Ogden trap here and there in between and now I've spent a few days rotomilling I-15 between McCammon and Inkom, Idaho and hauling the tailings to Downey. It's terribly dirty, worst milling crew I've ever seen, and kinda boring, but it pays decent if I haul a load of seal chips to Preston on the way up. Gonna be camping in the truck up there tomorrow night and then hopefully a new adventure starting Wednesday, haha. Been a super busy couple of weeks, more work than I want, but just going with the flow.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 05:21:18 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs