If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Air System Part Identification - Help!  (Read 1207 times)

goldplug

• Regular Membership
  • New Brigadier owner!
Air System Part Identification - Help!
« on: March 22, 2018, 01:58:00 PM »
Good Afternoon!

My name is Tim and I am new to the forum.  I found it through a search for "GMC Brigadier" and stumbled on the GREAT thread by Jimmie B on his twice done restoration!

I just picked up a 1981 GMC Brigadier with the Detroit 6V92.  Picked of a farm and I drove it 250 miles home without any problems.  (Well, there were problems, just no big ones...)

I am rebuilding it a little at a time.  I drive it almost daily too.

My question:

What is this.....

Assuming it is aftermarket.  It has an air inlet, on/off valve, mounted to the back of drivers side cab.  The 2 lines lead to the front of the engine and disappear in the 1" of caked on grime.  When I apply air, I hear it, but muffled.  Sounds like it is going into the oil pan......  I really looks like a cooler, oil??

Thanks for any help!  I will start another thread later with some pics of the truck and mods done to it.  Not keeping it stock.  Most likely adding a sleeper for a heavy hauling toterhome.

Tim
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 02:00:42 PM by goldplug »

Hank's Truck Forum

Air System Part Identification - Help!
« on: March 22, 2018, 01:58:00 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Jim Herriot

• Regular Membership
  • ........who?........
Re: Air System Part Identification - Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 04:23:02 AM »
What is this.....

....welcome aboard Tim. ;D...looks like a Midland air dryer. :-\...Jim. ;)

https://www.anythingtruck.com/product/070-KN33000.html
...duties and obligations, before pleasures and desires...

goldplug

• Regular Membership
  • New Brigadier owner!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 11:43:55 AM »
Jim,

Thanks for the info!

I just talked to the last owner and they do not know what it is for either.  They never used it.

It makes sense that it is for air, but it never pressurizes from the on-board air? 

Tim

Jim Herriot

• Regular Membership
  • ........who?........
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 01:09:25 PM »
It makes sense that it is for air, but it never pressurizes from the on-board air? 

....likely disconnected sumwere up stream. :-\, my 79 had a alcohol (injector)bottle on it. 8)...Jim. ;)

goldplug

• Regular Membership
  • New Brigadier owner!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 03:23:48 PM »
That is a good looking truck!  Still have it?

This is my new one.  Yes, the frame is purple....

Tim

goldplug

• Regular Membership
  • New Brigadier owner!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 04:35:08 PM »
New info.

Pulled it off and opened it up.  Big, oily tight weave filter.  "Trabold Filter" a Germany company.  Search shows oil filter.  This filter is wet and soaked, but has not been actively filtering oil....

This rig has been in Northern Montana it's entire life and has this aftermarket oil filter......

Does anyone have experience with this filter?

Tim

Jim Herriot

• Regular Membership
  • ........who?........
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 03:45:51 AM »
Does anyone have experience with this filter?

....new one for me. 8)...looks like u could live without it. :-\...Did u add the air chuck?, that wood answer the "gurgle " u herd in the oil pan. :o. I still have my Brig(ruff shape now). Like the aluminum on ur steers. ;D...Jim. ;)

Wee Willy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 08:58:58 AM »
 Im going to take a few wild guesses based on what i see.

It might be one of those gimmicky oil filter add ons to extend the life of your oil.
I seem to remember a system that rather than doing a full oil change, you just kept draining a gallon at a time then adding a fresh one to replace it.

The air chuck is a mystery, but the valve makes sense for draining the filter canister in case of vacuum, crack the valve and the oil drains into the oil pan.

Then again, it might have been a fuel filter/water separator.
 Never saw one like that, but the ones on the trucks I drove used to plug up real quick because the filter paper was rated at 5 micron, or really dense for lack of a better word, and even going to 10 micron wasn't a fix.
 Eventually, we just yanked the filters out and ran the trucks without them.

Third possibility, it's an oil filter for the air system.
Oil compressors seep a little oil into the air system over time and you don't really notice it until one day you drain your air tanks and there's this ugly grey sludge dripping out of them, and you can be sure it's in the air lines to, and any trailer's air system you might have hauled.

Oil and rubber are not a good mix, which means it's time for a story!

My buddy once put a 440 into his 64 Dodge, he cheaped out and used an old set of oily motor mount/isolators he cleaned up instead of replacing them.

The first time he floored it the fan went through the radiator, because the rubber in the mounts had gotten soft and spongey from the oil, and the engine moved forward enough to destroy his rad.

Yes, I laughed and I laughed and I told him so, again and again! ;D ;D

My advice, remove it, trash it, and don't worry about it because it's not critical to the operation of the truck, or clean it up and use it for something on a rat rod or metal sculpture.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 09:06:04 AM by Wee Willy »
The first rule of the road is:
"If anything can happen, at any time, it will!"

goldplug

• Regular Membership
  • New Brigadier owner!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 09:39:59 AM »
Thanks guys!

The air chuck was on it.  The old owners never touched it, so that was added by someone else.

Yes, it needs new rubber all around, so I will polish the front rims.  The rears are steel, so paint or powdercoat.

Already traced the lines.  Thought I lost the starter, and when pulling it noticed 1 bolt missing and the starter hanging on the other 2.  Pulled it out to clean up and test.  Now easy to see the 2 lines entering the engine.  I will pull those and plug.  I agree this is an unnecessary item.  Just one more this to fail.  I have actually pull a few things off that were not needed.  Aftermarket stereo flapping around in the cab was one of them.  Didn't work and would only interfere with the music coming from the detroit!

Great story, I would laugh too!

willyboy

• It's in the blood
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 10:40:24 PM »
This was one of the many attempts to do away with cartridge or spin on filters. The idea was to be able to filter engine oil, back flush the filter, change oil, repeat,repeat. There was also one which was 2 aluminum plates with a 10 mic stainless disc screen in between. I think Recor made that one. Once engine makers started flooding their engine oil with ash and soot there was no way to keep a reusable medium clean, even ultrasonic baths did not work well enough.   

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 10:40:24 PM »