If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Ford Aeromax 106 Day Cab Pacific Coast Express  (Read 2832 times)

chuckyr

• Regular Membership
Ford Aeromax 106 Day Cab Pacific Coast Express
« on: March 01, 2018, 05:09:31 PM »
This is a project I have wanted to do for a while (like many others). 

I saw this on Hanks site and wanted to see if I could build a model of it. 

Base kit, Revell Ford Aeromax 106, original issue I have had since around 1994 or so.  The one with the ridiculous Tom Alien decals.

I was probably one of the first in the US to have this kit.  A friend from Germany I made while getting back into truck modeling in Germany sent it to me.  To my knowledge, the original version was never issued in the US.  I think the first time the Aeromax 106 kit was offered in the US was with the tractor trailer combo kit as the Italeri "Far West Trucking" and then just the tractor as Italeri about 2 or three years ago.  But it is an Italeri kit.

This kit has it's inaccuracies, but the basic kit can be made into a credible Ford Aeromax 106 with a bit of scratchbuilding and aftermarket parts.

I know nothing about the subject I'm attempting to build, other than the photo I saw on Hank's site.  I tried searching on the net about Pacific Coast Express and all I came up with was their web page, with very few photos of trucks and none of this tractor.  I'm on the east coast, so I doubt if  Pacific Coast Express has any trucks anywhere near here. 

Any one with information or photos of this tractor I would be appreciative if you could enlighten me with them.

That being said, I assume the subject truck is a relatively common mid 1990s Ford Aeromax L9000 106. 

From my research, the fleet Ford L9000 Aeromax day cab tractors were more often speced with a Cummins L10.  I have the excellent resin Cummins L10 From Clint Freeman Components I have had since the early 2000's.  This seemed to be the perfect subject for it.

The kit air tandem suspension seems like an accurate one, but nothing I have seen on a Ford Aeromax. 
I am replacing it with a Plaskit Neway AD air tandem, which was available on mid 1990s Ford L9000s.

I have ordered other items for this kit and will use them during the various stages of construction. 

Hank's Truck Forum

Ford Aeromax 106 Day Cab Pacific Coast Express
« on: March 01, 2018, 05:09:31 PM »

chuckyr

• Regular Membership
Re: Ford Aeromax 106 Day Cab Pacific Coast Express
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 05:40:32 PM »
Cut the frame and filled all superfluous frame holes. Took a while determine the length.  Taking in account of  the modified side fairing, fender and fuel tank.

Since I don't have any clear photos of how a Neway AD suspension is mounted, I am struggling how the parts are mounted on the frame. 

Anybody have any knowledge? 

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 05:47:26 PM by chuckyr »

JJG

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 10:34:56 PM »
Wow, great start to an old classic Chuck, I think this is a first for you on here to post a build?? Either way, gonna be nice to see what you come up with. There is a Pacific Coast Express terminal here in Surrey but I  can't seem to remember seeing this truck around. However, it does look like it has a 60" axle spacing on the rears, very common for a Canadian tractor. This will be easy to o with the NeWay suspension your going to use.

The square mount in the centre of the trailing arm is where you mount your axles so that is where the centre point of your axle spacing should be. The top of the air bag mounts to the bottom of the frame rail and the leading upper part of the suspension (with the bolt pattern) mount to the side of the rails. I hope this helps.
There are a lot of images on the net, here is one I will link, hope it opens for you.
http://www.graysonline.com/lot/0007-5010835/transport-trucks-and-trailers/one-cut-off-rear-end-out-of-fright-liner-neway-air-suspension-46-160-diff

Jim.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 10:36:42 PM by JJG »

chuckyr

• Regular Membership
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 11:30:50 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement.
This the first build in process I am posting from the start.

I do have that photo of that chassis rear end.  My question is where do you attach the shocks to the frame or cross members.  One end of the shock connects to the bar that attaches both sides of the suspension, I think the top of the shock absorber connects to the cross member. 

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 11:38:50 PM by chuckyr »

Doug1966

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 08:06:05 AM »
Hi, YEAH a west coast company. Thanks Doug

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 09:38:28 AM »
That's pretty cool. 8) I still see a couple of those Fords here in New Jersey every once in a while. :)

JJG

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 11:09:53 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement.
This the first build in process I am posting from the start.

I do have that photo of that chassis rear end.  My question is where do you attach the shocks to the frame or cross members.  One end of the shock connects to the bar that attaches both sides of the suspension, I think the top of the shock absorber connects to the cross member.

Yeah there are mounting brackets on that torsions bar, then to the rear cross member and I believe there is a cross member at the same place on the leading drive axle. This is a 1/87 scale model so hard to get that view but it's all I have to see at this hour :)

looks like this boy doesn't slide his 5th wheel often

Jim.

chuckyr

• Regular Membership
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 11:13:41 AM »

Yeah there are mounting brackets on that torsions bar, then to the rear cross member and I believe there is a cross member at the same place on the leading drive axle. This is a 1/87 scale model so hard to get that view but it's all I have to see at this hour :)

looks like this boy doesn't slide his 5th wheel often

Jim.

I don't know which 1/87th scale frame that is from.  I have a Promotex (Herpa) Ford Aeromax L9000 that appears to have a Neway air ride suspension.  The shocks are mounted to the torsion bar in that same manner.  I am in the process of doing that to my larger scale model. 

JJG

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 04:41:17 PM »
That chassis is from a Herpa Ford Aeromax, I bought quite a few of those for that reason, love the detail they put on them. Most are modified slightly to adapt to whatever truck I put on it, this one being a Freightliner FL112

Jim.

chuckyr

• Regular Membership
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 08:35:50 AM »
I found this Neway air suspension manual on the Big Mack Trucks forum.

Rather extensive.  It appears to have any questions answered that you would have.

http://www.huskidrive.com/files/downloads/neway_ard_manual.pdf

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 12:10:32 PM by chuckyr »

JJG

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 12:19:30 PM »
Oh yeah, thanks, that is interesting. I have seen the mounting brackets (type I ) mounted both with angle to the front and to the rear, not sure why that option is there but either way, it seems both are common.

Ertl IH Transtars, the first release had a similar looking air ride on them, they later changed them.

Jim

chuckyr

• Regular Membership
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 10:31:18 PM »
Oh yeah, thanks, that is interesting. I have seen the mounting brackets (type I ) mounted both with angle to the front and to the rear, not sure why that option is there but either way, it seems both are common.

I think because of the difference of clearances of brake chambers of different trucks and the varied positions of cross members to mount the shocks on.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:34:08 PM by chuckyr »

chuckyr

• Regular Membership
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 09:05:25 AM »
Figured out how I wanted the Neway air ride to mount.  If I had done more planning, I would have re-positioned the two rear most cross members so the shocks could mount to the traverse beam and to the cross members.

I will have to mount the shocks in the ARD 125 - 8 configuration.

JJG

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 11:24:26 PM »
Yeah, always a few hurdles along the way, often I take and change it -if I feel I can't live with it that way- but just as often I go with it, even in the real world there are often variables, in either options or changes made to to lack of parts on the line at the time of manufacture! Looks good though, keep on rollin!

Jim.

chuckyr

• Regular Membership
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2018, 06:22:05 PM »
Rear suspension is almost complete.  I have to add the tracking rods.  There is a lot going on here.  I am still debating if i should plumb the brake and air bag lines.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2018, 06:22:05 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs