If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Some old stuff from my Albums  (Read 2660 times)

werkhorse

• Global Moderator
    • TruckMadPeople
Re: Some old stuff from my Albums
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 03:37:06 AM »
While we are on the subject of Dad here is his truck in 1981 ... thats a young 31 year old him standing beside the truck .... I was 6 y/o ... truck had a V636 Ford engine (actually a rebadged Cat 3208) @ 175hp, RT613 Road ranger to SLHD 34,000lbs Rockwells @ 6.16 on RT340 Hendrickson walking beam ...absolutely awesome for 85 km/h flat out.
Feb 1981, DMR2773, St.Leonards (Medium) by werkhorse, on Flickr

He used to tow the bitumen kettles that were used to heat the tar for flush sealing the roads. Fluch sealing is where the tar is sprayed down then blue metal rock is run over the top. These kettles were built by the DMR using old truck axles...possibly old Ford or Bedford wrecks and were meant to be towed at 30 mph
July 1976, Bitumen Kettles, Ulverstone (Medium) by werkhorse, on Flickr

Dad'sfirst allocated tipper a TK Bedford with a 466 Bedford Diesel engine, he drove water carts before this
July 1976, PWD 2906, Ulverstone (Medium) by werkhorse, on Flickr

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 03:37:06 AM »

werkhorse

• Global Moderator
    • TruckMadPeople
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 03:58:37 AM »
Later on the truck was repainted and this was the scheme they chose, only one other LNT8000 was painted the same later on
DMR 2773 New colours Perth Depot- (Medium) by werkhorse, on Flickr

They also changed the spec to 3208 Cat @ 210 and bumped the revs to 3200rpm from 2800rpm (only to revved that speed under load) and tuned the gearbox around to an RTO613 ... great for 145km/h at 3200rpm ... Dad found out the hard way on its first run with ticket from the local constabulary ;) They did all this work to speed Dad up travelling between jobs with the Kettles so he could get back and load blue metal with the other guys who didn't have to deliver the kettles first.

We used to help Dad out of a weekend at the Perth campsite. Dad painting the hubs
David, Perth (Medium) by werkhorse, on Flickr

the 4 of use posing for the camera... I'm the tall one
Jason, Bradley, Darren, Breeanna @ Perth (Medium) by werkhorse, on Flickr

Jimmy B

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 10:18:20 AM »
What fun hanging out with dad at work. Thanks for the peek back into down under memories!

Jimmy B

Wreckerman

• Regular Membership
  • 🇺🇸
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 11:42:46 AM »
That old Ford dump truck was a handsome rig! 8)
Move Over & Slow Down for Stopped Emergency Vehicles.
This Includes Tow Trucks and Their Operators.

JJG

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 12:20:16 AM »
Glad you took the time to post these, really enjoyed a look into what I remember too as a kid......trucks in my neighborhood, and like Charlie, I had the bicycle, drove to wherever trucks were, just didn't have the camera! Interesting to see the old Bedfords, what Lesney (Matchbox) offered up, I played with them not really knowing what they were as the dump truck toys were not plentiful and most were made in Europe. After a day out on the prowl, I would re-enact the scenes on the "playroom" floor............yeah, good times!!

Jim

werkhorse

• Global Moderator
    • TruckMadPeople
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 12:48:01 AM »
T&H Investments W924 pulled up across the road from home one afternoon ... so I couldn't let the opportunity pass
img006 (Medium) by werkhorse, on Flickr

img007 (Medium) by werkhorse, on Flickr

And one Saturday morning I had the chance to catch these two SAR Kenworths parked up in Boral's yard. Thesewere sent from the mainland for a short while and were 300 Cummins powered
img011 (Medium) by werkhorse, on Flickr

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 12:48:01 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs