Author Topic: Suicide coils  (Read 30669 times)

Lukas

Re: Suicide coils
« Reply #120 on: December 27, 2009, 05:39:37 PM »
This is what can happen when a suicide coil breaks free and hits your cab:

The flatbed truck rear-ended the yellow trailer truck on the 401 near Windsor Ontario.  Flatbed driver died.  :-(

I've also seen these trailers used for hauling steel coils.  They are made just for steel coil hauling.  They use them around southern Ontario.  Some come without the tarp system.

OTR at Kriska Transport

SpreadAxle

« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2010, 04:20:04 PM »
This was an interesting thread. Another thing I added to the coil rack was to lay rubber straps, known to some as coil belts, across the wooden blocks in the coil rack. Protects the coil a little as well as perhaps giving the coil more grip. Several places where I loaded the coils insisted on your wooden boards being beveled. Meaning they had an angle cut. In fact, two places I can think of wouldn't load you unless you had beveled wood.

While leased to Fikes, I hauled a lot of big 40,000#+ coils. Our lease trailers were Utilitys with a 10' 2" spread axle. They had what is known as a coil package. It is extra crossmembers in a small area. They were basically in the center, though slightly aft. I enjoyed my coil hauls. I liked the challenge. Many of the coils I hauled were laying on their sides. The shippers insisting on straps rather than chains. I used to pick up giant coils loaded this way at the plant in Russellville, KY. Those coils always went to beverage plants for cans. I often hauled them to Golden, CO.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 04:42:53 PM by SpreadAxle »
Ray

Eric (ep)

• Friend Of Coal
    • The Myspace Page
« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2010, 12:30:57 AM »
This was an interesting thread. Another thing I added to the coil rack was to lay rubber straps, known to some as coil belts, across the wooden blocks in the coil rack. Protects the coil a little as well as perhaps giving the coil more grip. Several places where I loaded the coils insisted on your wooden boards being beveled. Meaning they had an angle cut. In fact, two places I can think of wouldn't load you unless you had beveled wood.

While leased to Fikes, I hauled a lot of big 40,000#+ coils. Our lease trailers were Utilitys with a 10' 2" spread axle. They had what is known as a coil package. It is extra crossmembers in a small area. They were basically in the center, though slightly aft. I enjoyed my coil hauls. I liked the challenge. Many of the coils I hauled were laying on their sides. The shippers insisting on straps rather than chains. I used to pick up giant coils loaded this way at the plant in Russellville, KY. Those coils always went to beverage plants for cans. I often hauled them to Golden, CO.

I used the belts too SA, and our racks were designed to have an angle too...securing a 4" load strap over the coil is a safety rule at TMC 8-),

*NOTE: I had already begun the securement breakdown process, before I shot the picture. Which I should of shot before the breakdown.*

- I never had the privilege to haul a steel coil without the tarp. But do prefer tent tarping the coil rather than doing the wrap around. I never had to worry about getting the coil wet, that way.  :wink:

- does any one have any pictures of trucks hauling Steel coil rod?

- (ep)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:37:58 AM by Eric (ep) »

COAL, Keeps The Lights On!

The DAFman

« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2010, 01:48:50 AM »
Hello Eric,

Many thanks for your pictures again!!!!!
Yes, I hauled also Steel coil rods (copper-wire),, but "laying on pallets" and loaded in a "curtain-sider" trailer!!!!!
(With the DAF CF-85 for "Langanke", untill my "mishap" with my broken toes!!!!!)
Very honestly, I don't "miss" that job!!!!! Certainly "not" all the "securing" of those loads!!!!! I am not the "strongest" and had many times really to "struggle" with those "stubbern" belts!!!!!
I am still "busy and looking" for a way to "add" my pictures!!!!!
Greetings,

Leo

Deceased.

SpreadAxle

« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2010, 06:52:13 PM »
Eric, I was using my steel tarps initially, which only had 3 ft sides. I had to do the wrap around. When those cheap tarps finally were totally useless, I was using my big 8 ft lumber tarps, and they were easy to "tent". I wanted to try the Coil Bags, but I never got around to picking some up.
Ray

Kevin

« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2010, 07:27:37 AM »
This is an aluminum can stock coil like SA mentioned

Five coil load:

Aluminum coils loaded shotgun:

Running Pete

« Reply #126 on: March 11, 2010, 10:33:09 AM »
I have never seen coils loaded shotgun or heard of it either, do you have more picks, or just how they are arranged? The truck is still looking great BTW. :wink:
It's hard to beat a Pete...

Kevin

« Reply #127 on: March 11, 2010, 12:35:25 PM »
Thanks for the compliment RP, that's a pretty old pic. Shotgun just means the eye of the coil is to the front of the trailer, suicide being eye to the side. Some customers want them loaded one way or the other, depending on what they use to unload with.

These are tin plate steel coils, usually I take them to factories that make soup cans:

charlie

• Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #128 on: March 11, 2010, 01:01:57 PM »
Thanks for the views Kevin. 8-) It's nice to see what's under the tarps for a change. :-D Not being in the business my mind imagines all kinds of stuff. :lol:

Eric (ep)

• Friend Of Coal
    • The Myspace Page
« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2010, 02:06:49 PM »
Here's a pictures that I dug up, showing my coil rack set-up. I sure do miss hauling steel... :-(

This is off subject to an extent, but here is a Shot Gun load...

- I prefer Suicide style than anything else, when it comes to hauling steel coils.  8-)

- (ep)

Kevin

« Reply #130 on: March 11, 2010, 02:20:18 PM »
Here's another suicide coil

And just for fun, here's my least favorite load ever...the one where I had to take my sides down lol:

Eric (ep)

• Friend Of Coal
    • The Myspace Page
« Reply #131 on: March 11, 2010, 02:26:04 PM »
Dang Kevin, Hopefully you had enough roof to store all the sides.  :-o

Nice pics by the way.  8-)

- (ep)

Kevin

« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2010, 02:43:51 PM »
Yeah I just jammed everything up in the front, and rolled the tarp up from the back. Somehow it worked, hehe. Those were racks for a new BJ's Wholesale store just north of the Bronx, by the way.

Eric (ep)

• Friend Of Coal
    • The Myspace Page
« Reply #133 on: March 11, 2010, 03:15:26 PM »
Glad that everything worked out for you, and delivering that around the Bronx, I bet that was fun.  :lol:

- I remember one time I dispatched a load to pick up in Lexington at the Trane plant that was already loaded onto a trailer, but there was no room left for another empty trailer. So I had to drop my empty trailer in the Indianapolis yard and Bobtail to Lexington, KY for the load.

-Trying to fit all of the tarps, padding tarps, coil racks and mats, lumber, along with all of the other stuff was a challenge to place onto a bobtail truck. I managed though.  :lol:

- (ep)

Paul Kane

« Reply #134 on: March 11, 2010, 04:54:42 PM »
This sharp single bunk KW blew by as I was exiting I-376 west of Pittsburgh today.