If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Fife Trucking (The New Job)  (Read 2326 times)

Wreckerman

• Regular Membership
  • 🇺🇸
Re: Fife Trucking (The New Job)
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 09:26:31 PM »
The 9900 keeps looking better and better! 8)
I know what you mean on comfort, all our heavy wreckers have been Petes, but we're in the process of building a wrecker with a 2004 9900, and I was suprised how extremely comfortable the truck was.
Move Over & Slow Down for Stopped Emergency Vehicles.
This Includes Tow Trucks and Their Operators.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 09:26:31 PM »

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 04:49:05 PM »
Thank you! I never gave Internationals the credit they deserve. It's still just not really my style, but it will do until the next truck.

Last week was pretty easy I guess. Monday morning I loaded rebar on my trailer going to Denver and then we found out it couldn't deliver until Friday. I took it back to the yard and dropped it, went and hooked a pre-loaded trailer of window wells going to Billings, Montana, and got headed north. After delivering that Tuesday, I loaded sheetrock in Cody, Wyoming coming home...it had to be tarped, but I was the last load of the day, so I did it inside out of the cold and they had a good country station on the radio. Thursday morning I was back under my rebar headed east. I delivered that Friday morning and reloaded some aluminum channel of various sizes headed for home. I had to go up to North Platte, Nebraska though, to pick up one of our drivers that lost a motor there. I went out and got him so he could grab a spare truck to repower his load. We teamed it home and I was home before sunrise Saturday morning. No clue where I'll go after I unload tomorrow morning.

Class...you either have it, or you don't.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2018, 05:54:03 PM »
Got a pretty good round in this week. After I unloaded the aluminum stuff, I came home and loaded a Nucor Building Systems load to leave Tuesday morning for Monahans, Texas! I unloaded that Thursday and reloaded coated spool pipe in Odessa going to Platteville, Colorado. I was able to deliver that early enough Friday to bounce up to Cheyenne, Wyoming and get sixty foot steel square tubing coming home. I got some miles in, but I had to really work on loading the last two loads, haha. It's okay, because I found out I'm starting up the box culvert haul to Moab again tomorrow and I should get four loads down there this week. I really enjoy running Texas, even got to stop at the Big Texan Steakhouse in Amarillo again.

Here's the aluminum I brought home from Denver.

Here's the Building Systems load. Easy load, it was light, about fourteen feet tall though. My lugnut covers and interior chrome came in, so I was feeling pretty good about the truck all week.

This is the spool pipe. All different shapes and sizes, scattered all over the trailer. I ran out of winches trying to tie it down, haha. They were slippery too, but it all made it to the customer.

Here's the sixty foot steel. Tarped and flagged. They wrap the steel in plastic to protect the ends that hang off the trailer. I've got the fifth wheel all the way back and can only get about three feet off the front (I got it about seventeen inches from the headache rack), so there's nine feet off the back. Been a long time since I've hauled long stuff like that!

One of my friends caught me in Wyoming. Truck got dirty in some snow in eastern Wyoming. Not real proud of the bunched up tarp and crooked oversize sign, haha.

8)

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2018, 11:10:23 AM »
Pretty easy week! I ended up only getting three box culvert loads before they ran out again, so I had to do something else Thursday. Got a load of mine bolts for a gold mine in Golconda, Nevada. Paid round trip, so I bounced back empty yesterday and used the pressure washer at the Tramcor yard. Steamed off the whole truck and trailer and wiped down the dash and swept the floors. The boss was coming to fix some lights today, so I had to have the truck looking decent! Getting a full service over the weekend and leaving for Denver Monday. Getting my first loads we booked ourselves, outside Tramcor...loading drill pipe in Colorado for Farmington, New Mexico and there's a load down there coming right home.

Jon_G

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 04:10:13 PM »

Glad to hear things are going well for you Ryan, trucks looking nice.

Jon

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 08:31:00 PM »
Thanks Jon!

This week was pretty decent too. I hauled a load of particle board to a jobsite in Denver, went and got the pipe in Platteville, and the reload in Farmington canceled. So after unloading the pipe, I bounced down to Albuquerque and loaded sheetrock for home. I was able to unload that Thursday afternoon and Friday morning I was up to Nucor in Plymouth first thing to load a load of grape stakes for one of our drivers, I dropped his trailer at the yard and grabbed a tridem flat to load a heavy load of mine bolts and mats for the Skyline coal mine in Scofield, Utah. Unfortunately, I blew a tire on Tramcor's trailer on the way down and got held up long enough to get me to the mine just in time for shift change, so it took a couple hours to unload and my fourteen hours ran up before I got home. Had to spend the night on Soldier Summit on US6 and come home early Saturday. I got back and hooked up my own trailer, hosed off the truck, and fixed a bunch of little things on the interior with some parts the boss brought me. I even got to go over Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado on US160 on the way to Farmington, real nice drive. Not sure what this coming week will be like. It's snowing a lot right now and I'm supposed to stay close to home this week for some events I have going on. We're getting closer to getting me away from Tramcor! Haha.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2018, 07:24:56 PM »
Well, been pretty laid back the last couple weeks. Two weeks ago, I got to do a couple local loads to Salt Lake on Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday, I left with a two-drop load of window wells for Denver. The two drops were about a block away from each other and at the second drop, I loaded a pallet going back home. Then I bounced six miles down the road for a load of brick. I delivered both loads on Friday and had the weekend off. This last week, I took a two-drop load of window wells again, one drop in Aurora, Colorado and one in Colorado Springs. Then I got to take another load of pipe down to Farmington, New Mexico and bounced to Albuquerque for sheet rock coming home. It took me all week to make the round and I unloaded Friday morning and was done for the week. Now tomorrow I'll be loading a set of doubles with precast cement blocks going up to Post Falls, Idaho. They already dispatched me a load of no-tarp lumber from Princeton, Idaho to Idaho Falls after that. Here's some pictures from the ride over Wolf Creek Pass last week.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2018, 05:22:51 PM »
I did the load to Post Falls, the lumber to Idaho Falls, and then reloaded stone blocks coming home. Friday and Saturday I got a special duty that has to do with my big secret that I should be able to let out in a couple weeks. Had a rough time Monday night on the way to Post Falls. Was having issues with the lights on my trailers, and while I was playing with them on the shoulder of the road, the crown of the road had drawn all my fuel to the right tank and I sucked air from the left tank. Was able to get it running again with a little help from someone that stopped to give me a hand.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2018, 10:58:32 AM »
Last week I hauled some plate steel to Denver (tarped) and loaded pipe for that shipper we've been hauling for in Platteville, Colorado. This load was going to Lacomb, Oregon, then I bounced down to Eugene and loaded tarped lumber for home.

This 1952 Kenworth unloaded my pipe in Oregon.

Jon_G

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2018, 12:43:22 PM »

Nice photos, especially the vintage rig in the last pic! The 379 daycab in the set before this one is really cool!

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2018, 11:13:07 AM »
Thanks Jon!

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2018, 11:39:36 AM »
Been an interesting three weeks since I checked in here. I had a few "firsts"...first time pulling a conestoga, first time being on the east coast, first time I've needed a thirty four hour break out on the road, first load hauled all the way across the country (pretty much), and I crossed seven more states off my list that I've driven a truck through. I took a load of window wells to Joppa, Maryland and reloaded lumber in Covington, Pennsylvania with a drop in Montana and a drop in Spokane, Washington. Then I reloaded stone for Payson, Utah to get home. After loading the lumber, I crossed into New York and ran I-86, I took my day off in Morris, Illinois. The whole trip took ten days (including my reset) and I went around 5,700 miles. It was quite the experience for a "local" driver, haha. My boss let me take three days off when I got back to catch up on home time. Last week I took a three-dropper load of window wells to Colorado Springs and bounced down to Pueblo to load some railroad rail that I brought back to the yard for someone else to deliver so I could take a stepdeck and load some mine materials going to two mines out by Golconda, Nevada. I bounced back from there empty Thursday and have another three day weekend so the truck could get a little work done. I'm supposed to get a load to the Denver area Monday so I can go load another load of pipe...this one going to Hermiston, Oregon. Getting very close to announcing the next adventure (sometime this month). Also, it's spring time and we're almost done with the list of things on the Harvester that need fixing, so now I can focus on cosmetics and get it shined up and dressed up for summer! I got the Reo fired up yesterday and took it for a spin and got my pick-up out of storage and it's in a shop solving an overheating problem, but when I get it back, I'll be going to get my camp trailer out of storage as well. Gonna be a great year!

New York.

Bumper into Scarlett in Illinois.

My wife sent me this picture. She spotted it at the local Walmart.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2018, 10:14:13 AM »
This week was fairly stressful. My truck didn't get out of the shop until around noon Tuesday, which meant a lot of changed plans. I had to take a different truck to load steel Monday in a conestoga so it would be ready to head to Colorado as soon as mine was out of the shop. We also had another truck break down and another driver had an emergency at home, so more changed plans. I hauled the steel to Pueblo, Colorado and bounced up to Denver to load cement board coming home. Got home late Wednesday night. Thursday I delivered that, took my usual trailer over to Boman and Kemp and dropped it to preload window wells, and hooked another trailer to do some local stuff Friday. I did two rounds of precast cement to a jobsite in Tremonton that was loaded in Hyde Park. First load was box culvert, second load was my first time hauling precast pipe. After unloading that, I found out my trailer had NOT been loaded and one of Tramcor's trailers got my load instead. So I dropped the local trailer in the yard, then went and got my empty trailer, dragged it back to the yard, and then hooked Tramcor's trailer and strapped down the window wells, came back to the yard, got my tarps, pipe stakes, and dunnage gathered up, and found the trailer had a bad brake can. That supposedly got fixed last night and I'm supposed to leave tomorrow to start a super tight week. I have six drops to make Monday between Cheyenne and Colorado Springs, then reload pipe in Platteville, Colorado going to Farmington, New Mexico, unload and reload going to somewhere in Nebraska, bounce back to Platteville for ANOTHER load of pipe to Farmington, then bounce to Albuquerque to load sheetrock coming home. ALL WEEK will be a mad dash to make Albuquerque early enough Friday to load the sheetrock. Boss man thinks it'll take four or five days to make the round for some reason, but I know it'll be more like seven. Starting to get tired of every load I haul having these tight schedules where I don't even dare stop to take a leak.

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2018, 08:13:45 PM »
Ryan, how is the wife with the new gig and longer runs?  Is it typical to have your whole week layed out this far in advance?

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2018, 11:49:32 AM »
My wife is pretty glad I got away from Francis, haha. The big coast to coast run I did was kinda rough, but other than that, I really haven't been gone from home any longer than most of the reefer loads I'd pulled the last two winters at Francis, so she's handing it well. No, usually I'm flying by the seat of my pants on load planning, haha. The only reason this week is planned out is because he was supposed to have two trucks to get the two loads of pipe for Farmington, but one driver has decided he needs to be local, starting immediately, so I'm doing both.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2018, 11:49:32 AM »