If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Fife Trucking (The New Job)  (Read 5698 times)

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
Fife Trucking (The New Job)
« on: December 16, 2017, 03:01:17 PM »
Well, I'm officially working for the new boss. I had a little time off at the beginning of the week to relax and get chores caught up around the house. Tuesday, I had a two hour orientation at Tramcor, had to go through that just because we're currently leased to Tramcor. They taught me how to do their paperwork, showed me around the shop and office, and I had a presentation about e-logs. Wednesday, I went with my friend that talked me into working at Fife to start my training...I just wanted a little practice as a refresher course on flatbedding. We delivered a load he brought from Nebraska in Pocatello, Idaho. Thursday morning, we loaded a couple bundles of steel in Ogden and headed back to Pocatello to unload and then reload. Our load up there was welded steel pieces of various shapes and sizes, the load was eleven feet wide. Yesterday, we unloaded that load at two drops in Ogden and came back to the yard to get my truck. I grabbed a couple bundles of dunnage in Clearfield and went to Tooele to unload that and load some cement canisters going to Roundup, Montana. My friend was also out there loading the same thing, so we'll run together, leaving tomorrow. I got to drive the entire time I trained in his very nice, new W900L. I'm slowly making friends with the International, but it sure needs some work. I'm hoping for some time off next week when we get back from Montana so I can get everything sorted out and organized in the truck and compile a list of what needs fixed. The boss keeps telling me he'll get everything fixed and he'll make sure I'm happy with the truck. So far, he's had the frame repainted, replaced the bumper, new mudflaps and mudflap hangers, and got new saddle boxes. The interior has also been detailed, but there's a lot of junk from the previous driver in it. It seems pretty sound mechanically and should pass an inspection, but there are so many little things broken in the cab and sleeper that need addressed...poor thing had someone in it that really didn't care. It's a 2003 9900i Eagle, it has a 600 ISX Cummins, eighteen speed, and 3.42s. He has a new mattress and more lugnut covers and hubcaps on the way. I have to tint one of the sleeper windows that had been replaced with clear glass, I will be dressing up the dash with chrome, getting a new shift knob, a red rug for the floor in the sleeper, and possibly get red lights under the dash. On the outside, I think I'll add some lights to the headache rack, get some mudflap weights, air cleaner lights, lights on the bumper, and possibly mount my swan hood ornament. I'm told I will have a set of stainless half fenders and he'll have the aluminum all polished in the spring. It's very nice to work for someone that wants to invest in his equipment for a driver that will take care of it. The flatbed work is really not my favorite thing and the trailer I'm pulling needs new boxes in a bad way (they're both held shut with a strap). I'm told he would be willing to replace them, but I may try to hold out on that until we figure out if he can get a reefer for me to pull for Eliason. Give me until spring, I think it'll be a pretty nice truck with the help of the boss! Everything seems pretty laid back so far, I think I'll enjoy working here as long as I get used to flatbedding again, haha.
Here's the load that's on me to go to Montana.

The bugshield and grill screen are both broken, but new ones are on the way...he also mentioned seven inch diameter, taller exhaust tips, but I'm not too concerned either way on that. I do need to see if I can get a new mirror for the passenger side though...it doesn't have a light in it.

Also, I am REALLY not a fan of e-logs. Holy crap, they're terrible.
Class...you either have it, or you don't.

Hank's Truck Forum

Fife Trucking (The New Job)
« on: December 16, 2017, 03:01:17 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
Re: Fife Trucking (The New Job)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 04:26:51 PM »
Well damn, that doesn't seem so bad now. I was thinking you were gonna get a Prostar, but you can do a lot worse than a 9900i. And it looks alright to start, and it sounds like your new boss is gonna help you get it fixed up to where you like it.

And give the e-logs some time, I'm sure it's frustrating coming from paper but eventually you'll probably reach the sweet spot with it.

Jon_G

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 09:28:23 PM »

Congrats on the new gig, nice looking truck, and agree that it is nice to hear a boss so willing to go the extra mile for drivers that do the same for the company. Always liked the looks of the 9000-series Internationals in general, and the 9900 is especially sharp. The new Internationals don't really do much for me. When spec'd right (chrome bumper, side stacks, smaller fairings), the Prostar/LT look nice, but I'm not normally a fan. I do like the Lonestar though. Wish IH would bring their sharp new New Zealand-built cabover here just to humor me ;D ;D

As for e-logs, and I'm asking as I'm not in the industry and have heard a lot of drivers being unhappy about them, what is the reason? Are they just more complicated/involved than the paper logs?

Anyway, good luck with everything, keep posting your awesome updates!

Jon

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 06:02:08 AM »
Thanks guys. The e-logs are just very complicated for me and it appears to have a mind of it's own at times. I'm getting in the habit of telling it what I want logged every time I stop and when I look at the graph at the end of the day, it has logged it differently, which requires me to edit it. Overall, it takes more time out of my day playing with this slow computer when I could write up a log page on paper in under a minute. Not to mention how frustrating it is to have NO flexibility. For example, I loaded sheetrock in Las Vegas last week...it took so long to get loaded and tarped that my fourteen was up and I had to sleep right at the shipper. It would have been unsafe for me to drive eight miles back to the truckstop to get a shower and a hot meal, according to the computer that knows when I'm tired.

Fife has eight trucks...the one W900L my buddy drives, my 9900i, two 9900ixs, one old 9300, and three Prostars. If he was hiring me to put me in a Prostar, I wouldn't have taken the job, haha. He's looking at buying a Lonestar this winter to replace one Prostar and I think he's selling the 9300 soon.

After unloading the canisters in Roundup, Montana Monday, I bounced over to Moore, Montana to load no-tarp lumber coming back to Smithfield, Utah. That night, I made it back to Belgrade, Montana to meet up with my buddy again (he got a different reload). I made it into the truckstop with less than five minutes to spare on my e-log, so I could've fallen asleep at any minute...pretty scary stuff! I unloaded Tuesday and had some time to work on the truck afterwards. Wednesday morning, I hooked up one of Tramcor's trains to load pallets going to Amargosa Valley, Nevada. I unloaded those Thursday and came back to Vegas to load that sheetrock. Took all day to get loaded, but I was just happy that my boss told Tramcor that we WILL NOT be loading both trailers if tarps are required. I got up early Friday and headed back to Ogden to unload, went back to the yard to drop the train, and went home for my three day weekend. I told him this week I plan to order a bunch of interior chrome and he said he'd pay for it! I also got paid for my training and I was very well compensated...I'd say I'll enjoy working for Fife, I just hope I get used to flatbedding again, haha. No clue where I'll be headed this week,but I'll find out soon.

Hanky

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 10:17:31 AM »
How do you like your new truck drive well and how is it for comfort?  I know of a couple guys that like theirs but I do not know if they sat in any thing else for years.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 09:58:43 PM »
The truck is pretty nice! I am loving having the big standup sleeper and it's comfortable to drive too, once I got used to the wide cab. More storage than I'll ever need and it has a fridge...soon to have a microwave too. It's got good power, pretty comparable to the Peterbilt I just got out of, but gets better fuel mileage and has WAY more fuel capacity. I can go twelve hundred miles without fueling. It rides smooth and is pretty quiet. I still miss the Pete, but I think I'll really like this truck once it's all fixed up and polished.

Last week, I took a load of mine bolts to Carlsbad, New Mexico, deadheaded to El Paso, Texas to load rebar for Denver, Colorado, and reloaded tarped steel coming home. Got home on Saturday. Pretty uneventful trip other than a blown tire just outside Carlsbad and having to wait in El Paso about eight hours to load. Not sure where I'm going next week, but I kinda hope I can just take it easy and get some work done on the truck.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 12:15:56 PM »
Nope, can't take any time off to get work done on the truck, haha. After unloading my steel Tuesday, I went and reloaded palletized salt going to Spokane, Washington. I delivered that Wednesday and reloaded lumber in Oroville, right up by the Canadian border, Thursday. Got home too late to unload the lumber Friday, so I get to kick that off tomorrow morning. Both loads had to be tarped, so I got plenty of exercise (and a cold). Pretty uneventful trip though and I stopped in town when I got back Friday to have the truck washed and buy a bunch of chrome. Supposedly the boss took my truck yesterday to get new tires and a few things fixed. I can't remember if I've mentioned on here, but we're in the process of taking three of his eight trucks away from Tramcor and setting up a new company (I'm one of the three). I guess the company has been set up now, so as soon as I get my new Qualcomm installed (Tramcor's is in my truck currently), I'll be able to do some different things. For example, we've talked about renting a reefer from Eliason, which I would really like doing again. I got my first real paycheck Friday as well and I will say that even though I'm on mileage pay and not getting a whole lot of miles, I am being compensated pretty well, which is good, because flatbedding is a lot of work for a fat kid! Excited to see what the future holds! Still a big surprise in the spring I can't talk about yet, haha.

Here's my load of salt tarped.

Here's my load of lumber before tarps. I've rarely seen such a square load of lumber. However, it was over gross, so they had to take a bundle off, so it's no longer square. I didn't get a picture after tarps, but I probably will take one before I unload.

Hanky

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 12:55:53 PM »
Wish I knew you were in Oroville that 1 hr from me a lot of our log here go to Gormans in Westbank.

Jimmy B

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 04:52:58 PM »
Good Luck.

Jimmy B

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 01:25:41 PM »

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 01:27:29 PM »
Wish I knew you were in Oroville that 1 hr from me a lot of our log here go to Gormans in Westbank.

Had no idea I was so close to you. I was in and out pretty quick that time though. There was a lot of Gorman lumber being shipped out of there!

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 01:46:44 PM »
Last week was pretty laid back, which I was thankful for because I still have a cold, haha. I unloaded that lumber Monday morning and then just brought the truck back to the yard to get a short service and some lights fixed on the trailer. Tuesday was an exhausting day, but it felt good. I hauled two loads of steel from the Nucor mill in Plymouth to Nucor Building Systems in Brigham City. It rained all day, so both loads had to be tarped, but I found some tattered old steel tarps at the yard, so I didn't need to lug the six-foot drops around. I was lucky enough to land some gravy duty for awhile though, which is why I didn't complain about the local steel. Did two loads last week of big 12x8x10 precast box culvert to Moab. It's overweight (which I'm permitted for) as each piece weighs 52,000 pounds. Had to go on one of Tramcor's stepdecks, but it sure is easy! Throw six straps and go, about five hundred miles round trip. My buddy Nick also got in on this haul, so we ran together and we're supposed to do four loads each down there this week as long as production can keep up. Tomorrow is a short day since we can't deliver until Tuesday, so we'll go get a truck wash in Salt Lake after we load. The truck still isn't perfect, but every weekend, either I take the truck home and work on it or the boss has his mechanic work on it, so progress is being made. Lots of parts on order from International right now, I really like working for this guy!

Here's the load of lumber from Washington tarped.

Here's the heavy culvert.

This was last weekend after a good wash and ten new tires. He put brand new wheels on the steer axle too! This weekend I mounted my bumper guides, mudflap weights, and a microwave in the sleeper.

werkhorse

• Global Moderator
    • TruckMadPeople
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 07:05:42 PM »
Your definitely getting the hang of tarping  ;) not something everyone can (or want to) do ;)

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 07:31:23 PM »
Glad to hear they are being true to their word of bringing the truck up to your standards.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 03:30:47 PM »
Yeah, he's making progress on my truck for sure. He brought me a bunch of parts to drop off with the truck at our mechanic's house yesterday. He also has been really happy with how clean I'm keeping the truck inside, so he continues telling me more things we can get for the truck, haha. After another paycheck, I really am pretty sure I made a good choice...this guy appreciates his drivers.

Here she is after another bath and some acid love on the aluminum. Yes, my lugnut covers for the steers are still on order, along with the rest of my interior chrome. I just need some stainless diamonds cut out for my mudflaps, a set of half fenders, and the lights I'd mentioned earlier and I think I'm pretty much done dressing up this truck. It's amazing how much I like this truck...I thought I'd be really hung up on the Peterbilt, but this truck is much more comfortable. The looks have grown on me and having a boss that wants to help me make it like new inside and out makes all the difference. Can't wait to see it in the spring after all the aluminum gets polished!

Here's Nick under the crane, unloading his culvert in Moab.

We only got to do three more of the box culvert loads to Moab, production couldn't make them fast enough to keep hauling. That kept me busy until Thursday though and I got an easy local load yesterday. Loaded steel grates in Brigham City going to a galvanizer in Lindon. Now I'm empty and off until Monday, about as easy as it gets.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 03:30:47 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs