If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Starting A New Chapter (I Quit Francis)  (Read 2779 times)

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
Starting A New Chapter (I Quit Francis)
« on: December 03, 2017, 03:01:41 PM »
Well, as crazy as it feels, I only have one or two more weeks at Francis Trucking. After over eight years and 750,000 miles, I think it's time to move on (sure hope I made a good choice). This year was pretty political at work, there were a lot of really good loads and there were a lot of new drivers getting those loads while a few of us that had been there for years were stuck on some pretty nasty, cheap duty. Not sure if the reason might have been that the new hires were paid a lower percentage than us, but it didn't seem right. Also, it was getting harder and harder to find time to wash and polish the Peterbilt. I was being pushed a lot harder than I wanted to, working more weekends than any year before, being sent out of town more than had been agreed to when I got the sleeper truck, and working some very long hours hauling dirt all day and then taking a load of salt north after work. However, the boss still wouldn't help pay for a truck wash even once every other month. To top it all off, someone pulled my bellies last winter and broke two spring hangers...it took six months to finally get wear plates welded in them and I had just been pulling them, hoping not to get inspected. Anyway, I can't say I was unhappy there, just getting worn out from the pressure and stress and feeling like I wasn't really appreciated for my dependability and effort. After voicing my frustration to a friend, he insisted I consider working for his boss. This was clear back in September and I've been in contact with the new boss since then. He has patiently waited for me to finish out belly dump season and has really gone above and beyond to make me feel welcome. This is a small flatbed outfit that runs eight trucks and my buddy has worked for him about seventeen years, so he must be doing something right. I'll be getting into a 2003 International 9900i Eagle with a Hi-rise sleeper. It has a six hundred horse Cummins ISX and an eighteen speed. He pays to have his trucks washed once a week and will have the interior detailed for me to get into it and will pay to have all the aluminum polished in the spring. He's already had the frame repainted, new bumper on it, new stack tips, and said he'll buy me some chrome and lights because he knows how much I love the truck I've been in at Francis, haha. He has paid vacation and holidays (Francis does not) and he pays more of my health insurance than Francis will. He is also starting me at a higher pay rate than the TOP at Francis. The most important part is that he likes his drivers to have weekends off, haha. So I planned on pulling a flatbed over-the-road for him, but he actually decided to look into pulling a reefer for the same outfit that has been loading us at Francis just because he knew that's what I enjoy. He's also very serious about maintaining his equipment and being compliant. As much as I hate the thought of running on e-logs, it is just something I'll have to accept no matter where I work, and he already has them. I was pretty sure e-logs were going to turn Francis upside down and now I'll work for someone that knows how they work already. It should be a good opportunity to gain more valuable knowledge and experience, should I want to own and operate a truck down the road. As much as I appreciated what Francis has done for me, I look forward to working for someone who will take a little better care of me and the equipment they have me drive. I gave my notice to my dispatcher and the big boss Monday night and they were pretty upset, but everything is on good terms and the big boss has told me I can come back anytime (I just hope I don't have to) and the whole Francis family has made me feel like I matter now that I'm on my way out, haha. I was still invited to the company Christmas party as well and was treated pretty good. I have taken pride in my equipment the whole time I've been there and that will continue. I think this trip to Seattle tomorrow will be my last load probably and I will bring the truck home and wash it and detail the interior as I unload my stuff. I'm turning the truck in with a quarter million miles on it and only a small dent in the battery box from some road debris (I saw, but could not avoid) and ready to go to work for the next driver. Also, there is still more to the story with Fife Trucking (the new employer), but it's gonna have to wait a little longer. He's invited me to their Christmas party as well, and I don't even work there yet, haha.
Class...you either have it, or you don't.

Hank's Truck Forum

Starting A New Chapter (I Quit Francis)
« on: December 03, 2017, 03:01:41 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

JJG

Re: Starting A New Chapter (I Quit Francis)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 09:49:35 PM »
Wow, quite the story but I think you may have made the right decision here, difficult to do  know but follow your heart, the rest will come into place! If I had to have a driver, you would be one I would want to run for me, good luck with the new opportunity!

Jim.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 10:15:56 PM by JJG »

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 10:20:21 PM »
Sad to see you leave Francis as I've always enjoyed the shots you've shared of their rigs over the years, but from the sound of it you will be advancing to a better situation with another company. I really hope you are treated better at your new gig PBT. And you did the smart thing and didn't burn your bridges on the way out. Best of luck PBT.

Jon_G

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 07:01:05 PM »

Good luck with the new gig dude, sounds pretty good to me! You definitely handled the situation well I'd say :)

Jon

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 07:22:13 PM »
I kinda saw this coming & wish you the best of luck Ryan.

Mister TyZo

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 09:56:46 AM »
I kinda saw this coming & wish you the best of luck Ryan.

:)  ;) X 2..  Good Luck with your next ride Ryan....

Be Safe / Be Careful  BTB

Wreckerman

• Regular Membership
  • 🇺🇸
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 12:23:56 PM »
I totally understand needing a job thatís more flexible for you.
Sounds like an A+ company youíre moving to, so best of luck! :D
Move Over & Slow Down for Stopped Emergency Vehicles.
This Includes Tow Trucks and Their Operators.

Hanky

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 01:50:50 PM »
I totally understand needing a job thatís more flexible for you.
Sounds like an A+ company youíre moving to, so best of luck! :D
We all have changed jobs and wishing you all the best looking for pictures soon. :) :)

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 07:18:09 PM »
Well, I'm glad you seem to have found a better situation for yourself and wish you good luck with the new gig.  I have to say if I were you I would miss getting to drive such a beautiful truck, as your "new" truck doesn't sound like anything special, no matter how clean it is.  But then again, what's the point of having a nice rig if the rest of the job isn't so desirable anymore.  I'm looking forward to updates and pics on this new job, and hopefully things work out well for you.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 01:00:55 PM »
Thanks everybody! It sure was an emotional week, driving the final miles in Scarlett. I bought my last package of carbonless loose leaf paper logs, haha. Bumped my last dock with the reefer trailer they bought me last year. Almost got teary eyed rinsing off my belly dumps before I dropped them...I've had those trailers over five years.  All I did last week was my Seattle turn and was done...the trip went great and I made sure to stop and eat at all the good places and visit my favorite hangouts, haha. I was off all day yesterday unloading my stuff out of the truck. After I got it washed and steamed off the motor, it came home to have the windows cleaned, floors scrubbed, and dash wiped down. Mama Francis actually paid me a decent amount of money to leave all of my chrome and lights. So after I took these pictures, the only stuff I took off to take to the next job is my swan hood ornament, my shifter, and my rookie sticks. I even rinsed off the reefer trailer before dropping it as well. Also, another driver banged the dent out of the battery box that I'd mentioned, so it's gone now, haha. (I was scared to try for fear of cracking the weld on the step, but it worked.) I've turned everything in and locked the truck in the yard, over...done. I start training at the next job in the middle of next week, might bring the truck home and start loading my stuff in it earlier than that though. Yeah, it's certainly not as flashy or exciting, but if it's well-maintained, I'll love it. Besides, trucks wear out and I'll need a new one someday, haha.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 01:04:25 PM »
I am gonna miss this truck!

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 06:01:00 PM »
After over eight years and 750,000 miles

I can't believe you're almost a million-miler. :o  Doesn't seem that long ago that you were a high school kid taking photography class and drawing trucks. ;)

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 08:07:49 PM »
After over eight years and 750,000 miles

I can't believe you're almost a million-miler. :o  Doesn't seem that long ago that you were a high school kid taking photography class and drawing trucks. ;)

Haha, I know, I still feel like the little kid most places I go. It was tripping me out that Francis was starting to hire people younger than me. At the same time though, most of the time I feel like this is all I've done my whole life, like I don't even remember the jobs I had before, haha. Pretty crazy, hope I can hit a million miles before I'm replaced by an automated truck!

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 07:32:51 AM »
The new driver of Scarlett decided he wanted a big deer killer on front. Doesn't look too bad, I guess.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 07:32:51 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs