If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Recent Goings'on at Pitt Ohio  (Read 707 times)

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
Recent Goings'on at Pitt Ohio
« on: November 26, 2017, 06:07:28 PM »
First off, I saw a rig with a skirted trailer last week when I was out around lunch.  There was also one parked at the Eighty-Four PA terminal, may or may not have been the same one.  Couldn't get any pics though.

I don't know how new these are, I've seen one or two on the road.  This big CNG Cascadia tractor was at a Cummins shop NE of Pittsburgh on Thanksgiving, just down the hill from HQ.  There looked to be several more there also.

These shiny wheeled city units have been coming through Fyda Freightliner in Canonsburg over the course of the year.

Lastly, this group of 579 Petes were by the shop at their Pittsburgh HQ terminal on Thanksgiving Day (Hank let me use the HTP drone for the holidays ;D)

« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 06:09:30 PM by Paul Kane »

Hank's Truck Forum

Recent Goings'on at Pitt Ohio
« on: November 26, 2017, 06:07:28 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Greg_E

• Greg Elgart Collection
Re: Recent Goings'on at Pitt Ohio
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 06:24:42 PM »
Now Pitt Ohioís got Peterbilts? Look at Paccar making its way back into the LTL sector.

Updated 8/10/2018

Boll Weevil

• Regular Membership
  • "Ford W9000's rule!"-Boll Weevil, age 11
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 01:44:10 PM »
Greetings. This yearís tractor purchases are mostly Anthems but Iíve heard conflicting numbers as far as the number of units, Iím thinking about 100? Very few have been put in service so far. In addition, 10 each of Freightliner Cascadias, Peterbilt 579s, and IH LTs were added earlier this year. The Cascadias have DD13 Detroitís while the Petes and IHs have the Cummins X15 which pulls very well, Iím sure have a 15L displacement versus the 11L in the Macks has something to do with it. So far our terminal has received 1 Cascadia, 1 Anthem, and 1 Peterbilt which was assigned to me. While I had my heart set on an Anthem, the 579 is a quiet, smooth riding, powerful, and seemingly well built alternative. Sorry about the large photo, itís been a while and I donít see a thumbnail option on Photobucket. 
Jim

Boll Weevil

• Regular Membership
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 01:52:52 PM »
The Pittsburgh terminal has 20-25 CNG Cascadias that were purchased last year. All PGH based linehaul drivers have been assigned one. Fueling is done at the American Natural station across from the terminal. Rumor has it that Chuck Hammel (owner of Pitt Ohio) owns the store but all I can confirm is that he owns the property itís on.                                                                                       
Jim

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 02:04:28 PM »
Don't worry about the large photo Jim..........very few of us have dial up anymore. ;D Nice to see your posts once again........hope you get your Anthem in the end. :)

Boll Weevil

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 02:18:54 PM »
I drove an Anthem last week and missed the power that Iíve been spoiled by in the Pete. Itís not a fair contest and I think an MP8 might give the big Cummins a run for itís money. I do like the Mdrive more than the Eaton Autoshift in the Pete (all tractors and straight trucks are now specíd with automatics) because of the slightly higher rpms needed to engage the clutch on the Autoshift.
Jim

R. Buron

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 12:46:00 PM »
Thank you to share Boll, it's allways very interesting to get information from inside about big fleets engine and gearbox choice
and comments about those choices.

Boll Weevil

• Regular Membership
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 06:48:54 PM »
Thank you to share Boll, it's allways very interesting to get information from inside about big fleets engine and gearbox choice
and comments about those choices.

You're welcome. This information was easily obtainable while other company related issues can sometimes be learned on the internet sooner than when management gets around to sharing it, :)
Jim

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 07:33:51 PM »
That's quite a nice ride Jim. To borrow a slogan, that's "not your Father's LTL". ;)

fordl8000

« Reply #9 on: Today at 05:58:24 PM »
I'm curious as to why Pitt Ohio switched from Ford F750 straight trucks to Freightliner M2's.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #9 on: Today at 05:58:24 PM »