If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: CAT CT 660S  (Read 2797 times)

JJG

Re: CAT CT 660S
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 02:24:01 AM »
Thanks Kurt!

Getting very near the finish, a name, visor and some air horns should send this one off to the dirt. The box is mounted, mudflaps to the rear are on and side board added from balsa wood.

Jim.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 02:24:01 AM »

Kurt_H

• Regular Membership
    • Trucks87
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 09:11:50 AM »
very impressive!!!

Kurt

JJG

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 01:04:04 AM »
The sun visor comes from an Italeri Western Star and the air horns are from Ratcliffe Models. Apex Construction decals where ordered from Christie at Graphics On Demand

DEL brand mud flaps on dump body were sized down from an image on the internet here, printed and applied.

Time to go get down and dirty :)

Jim.

Trucker Al

• Regular Membership
  • 19 Yr old 1-87 Scale Truck Modeler & Truck Hunter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 12:32:35 PM »
This is beautiful Jim! I got 2 of these castings from a good friend of mine at Springfield. You're giving me ideas lol

JJG

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 11:40:05 PM »
Thanks Al, ideas are what it's all about right? It's quite incredible what builds have come up with what we see in our travels and in scale models out here, hope to see what you come up with!

Jim.

Trucker Al

• Regular Membership
  • 19 Yr old 1-87 Scale Truck Modeler & Truck Hunter
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2018, 12:57:10 AM »
Everytime I go on a road trip, I always get inspired by SOMETHING!

AL

Kurt_H

• Regular Membership
    • Trucks87
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 02:57:01 AM »
Jim,

now your Cat looks phantastic; I like it very much!

Kurt

JJG

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 12:19:04 AM »
Thanks Kurt, there was another picture I meant to post here but didn't get to it, 2 CATS in the yard

Jim.

Peterbilt1

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 05:01:51 PM »
Jim,

That truck is a thing of beauty nice work.

Niteryder315

• iHo
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2018, 04:56:22 PM »
How do you manage to roll those silly exhaust heat shields so well? I have a bunch of them, but I can never hold it tight enough while wrapping it around anything.
1-87vehicles.org
tws-rustbucket.com

http://public.fotki.com/Niteryder315/

JJG

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2018, 10:20:31 PM »
How do you manage to roll those silly exhaust heat shields so well? I have a bunch of them, but I can never hold it tight enough while wrapping it around anything.

I thought there was a thread about these shields either on this forum or on Masterbilt, 1/87 Vehicle Club but I can't find it, it had tips from several modellers as to how to achieve this.

Since I can't find it, this is what I had submitted -don't know about the photos now as they would help- I take a piece of "Plastruct" C channel that is around the same size, place the heat shield on the raised part of the C channel (placed flat face down) -using a screw driver shaft (of same size as the muffler) carefully centre the shaft laying it onto the shield as though it is the muffler, press firmly into the channel to begin the "wrap". This is the start as you can't quite get it to roll right around half way, then I use a needle nose pliers using the inside flat face of the jaws of the pliers, carefully complete the "press". It is not an easy task and sometimes I have had to press it from both sides even using another size driver to take out an imperfection and keep working it till it gets acceptable. Other times it just goes first time around and no problems -I like those days :)

I have always wanted to make a jig out of aluminum like a die, male and female parts and press (stamp) the shape but have never gotten that far. Hope this works and isn't too difficult to follow.

Jim.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2018, 06:42:16 AM »
DEL mudflaps?
I must have missed this thread while I was between computers.
DEL !!!!
Sometimes you outdo your usual high detail standards.
Wow!

DEL brand mud flaps on dump body were sized down from an image on the internet here, printed and applied.

Time to go get down and dirty :)

Jim.

JJG

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2018, 10:00:02 PM »
Thanks Rob, sometimes you score, some times you ring one off the post and out ::)

Jim

Niteryder315

• iHo
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2018, 05:49:16 PM »

I thought there was a thread about these shields either on this forum or on Masterbilt, 1/87 Vehicle Club but I can't find it, it had tips from several modellers as to how to achieve this.

Since I can't find it, this is what I had submitted -don't know about the photos now as they would help- I take a piece of "Plastruct" C channel that is around the same size, place the heat shield on the raised part of the C channel (placed flat face down) -using a screw driver shaft (of same size as the muffler) carefully centre the shaft laying it onto the shield as though it is the muffler, press firmly into the channel to begin the "wrap". This is the start as you can't quite get it to roll right around half way, then I use a needle nose pliers using the inside flat face of the jaws of the pliers, carefully complete the "press". It is not an easy task and sometimes I have had to press it from both sides even using another size driver to take out an imperfection and keep working it till it gets acceptable. Other times it just goes first time around and no problems -I like those days :)

I have always wanted to make a jig out of aluminum like a die, male and female parts and press (stamp) the shape but have never gotten that far. Hope this works and isn't too difficult to follow.

Jim.

Thanks. As I often peruse the 1-87vehicles.org site as well as many others...Ive never seen a how-to regarding this. My weathering usually hides the center crease when I use those shields.
1-87vehicles.org
tws-rustbucket.com

http://public.fotki.com/Niteryder315/

JJG

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2018, 09:59:38 PM »

Jim.

Thanks. As I often peruse the 1-87vehicles.org site as well as many others...I�ve never seen a �how-to� regarding this. My weathering usually hides the center crease when I use those shields.

I suppose that would hide the crease, I still bugger one up here and there but if you do, it is metal so you can lay it on a flat hard surface and with small hammer, tap it flat again and attempt #2.

Jim.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2018, 09:59:38 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs