If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: CAT CT 660S  (Read 366 times)

JJG

CAT CT 660S
« on: October 31, 2017, 11:51:16 PM »
Starting with a die cast toy, thanks to a fellow modeller as posted on the 1/87 Vehicle Club gallery, I seen the post and immediately searched the source, this is what came up. It is marketed as 1/92 scale but clearly is bigger then that, it may well be larger then 1/87 but it does look like a do-able project. Let's see how it stacks up as we go along!

while waiting for the Amazon purchase to arrive I began to get the chassis ready and after dismantling the unit, here is the first mock up.

I think maybe a new cab is in order using the IH 9900 cab as that is what CAT used.

Jim.

Hank's Truck Forum

CAT CT 660S
« on: October 31, 2017, 11:51:16 PM »

railbuilderdhd

Re: CAT CT 660S
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 11:21:04 AM »
Jim,

Were did you find that? I love it and how perfect it would be on my HO scale layout.  I would love to see a picture of it next to a true 1/87 scale truck to see how the scale is and if it's too big or not.

Can't wait to see what you end up doing to this.

Dave

JJG

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 11:06:34 PM »
Dave, this is an Amazon find for me after an extensive search for a toy, it is made by Sate Toy China, who knew it would be that hard to find! North of the border -for you- we don't always have the same things even in the same name stores, Walmart for example did not carry this item, Toys R Us not but seems that in the US, they do offer them? I didn't actually look personally for one (in the USA stores) but eBay has lots of them and Amazon was the better way to go for me, price and shipping was more reasonable.

As for scale, I took a better look and measured this item out, I do like the hood and grill which is all I need to make it work, It scales out to about 108" OAW which is too wide even tho I can't find what that should be, it would not likely exceed 96".  I hope to narrow it down some. It is a CT660S which is the short version, should be 116" BBC and it measures out to 113" so it is too short and to wide. The cab is where it is too short, the hood being right in the length.

I already cut it up so I can't show it with another scale truck.

Jim,

Peterbilt1

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 06:20:29 AM »
I excited to see this one progress.  I have always actually liked these cat trucks for some reason.

Kurt_H

• Regular Membership
    • Trucks87
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 03:20:25 PM »
Hello Jim,

about 3 weeks ago I bought such a Cat cement mixer on American ebay. Now I'm very interested to see, how you'll rework it into a real H0 vehicle.

Kurt

JJG

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 12:45:21 AM »
A little progress going on with the CAT, I had made a mold of the hood section, then did a roll cast of it, first one here in blue, it was too thin, mocked up but split before I was able to get it modified.

a new roll casting was made yesterday and i was able to narrow this one slightly. The grille surround is still untouched and is/was a little wider then the opening in the hood, now it is just slightly narrower, seems to measure out to about 98" width which isn't too bad. I will file down the sides of the bumper yet.

Jim.

JJG

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 01:46:54 AM »
The cab has been re-worked to make it ore CAT authentic, I noticed that the door window has a slightly different belt line from the IH cab so that was rectified. I tried to rake the windshield back more as it should be (even on the IH cab) and that meant making a new gasket for the windshield opening that protrudes into the the hood casting now.. Thanks to the CAT brochure which shows some very good side/front and top views.

This one is about ready for a primer coat to see where we stand. It is substantially narrower but will still be wider then it should be- about 102" at the widest point but it is almost bang on to Boley IH 7600. This way we can still use the original grille and surround which means we can save the CAT logo in the grille,  and maybe the windows.  The interior on the die cast is not really all that good and will be replaced by a Tonkin KW interior as it will be close enough to the CAT

Jim.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:57:22 AM by JJG »

Kurt_H

• Regular Membership
    • Trucks87
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 02:04:53 AM »
Jim,

the cab looks very good so far!

Kurt

JJG

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 11:51:37 PM »
After the first primer application, bodywork was necessary, now ready for more primer.

Jim.

JJG

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 12:51:31 AM »
The CAT is needing a little more work, I put some colour on it but not quite ready!

Jim.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 12:51:31 AM »