If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Let's talk memory cards  (Read 258 times)

mooby346

• Regular Membership
Let's talk memory cards
« on: October 15, 2017, 05:07:49 PM »
Aka who uses what and what are your results with it? I'm in the market after I had a 2nd Sandisk 64gb SDXC crap out on me and wipe out all the files on it. Not going back this time.

Hank's Truck Forum

Let's talk memory cards
« on: October 15, 2017, 05:07:49 PM »

Ray F

Re: Let's talk memory cards
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 03:28:52 PM »
I just had an 8gb Sandisk SD memory card die on me last evening. I usually only use sandisk 4 & 8gb Cards. I took about 49 pics with it yesterday, and tried to upload them to my PC and ended up with only 14  >:( :(

So now im trying to figure out if I should upload them via the Canon Connect App that I have installed on my phone, or if I should use a card reader. Btw my PC is a Windows 10(upgraded from WIN8)  ::) and it took an update this past saturday night and now this happened...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 03:31:41 PM by Ray F »

mooby346

• Regular Membership
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 11:08:47 PM »
I just had an 8gb Sandisk SD memory card die on me last evening. I usually only use sandisk 4 & 8gb Cards. I took about 49 pics with it yesterday, and tried to upload them to my PC and ended up with only 14  >:( :(

So now im trying to figure out if I should upload them via the Canon Connect App that I have installed on my phone, or if I should use a card reader. Btw my PC is a Windows 10(upgraded from WIN8)  ::) and it took an update this past saturday night and now this happened...

Well that sucks to hear Ray, I'm still seeking advice from all corners so I'll pass along word if I find anything decent. I can tell you I've never had any problems with card readers, other than the card reader crapping out but I never spend a lot on them anyways.

Wee Willy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 03:03:27 AM »
 I had the same problems as you guys using a Sandisk memory card.
Once, I couldn't take any pictures, and another time the memory crapped out after 30 or 40 shots.

I don't know if I forgot to do so in the first place, but after I reformatted the card, everything worked fine again.

Ray.
 You shouldn't need an app for uploading pics to your computer.
You should be able to use a USB cable and download direct to your desktop.

I usually make a new folder then just drag and drop from the camera to the desktop folder.
 Once the pics have transferred, then I reformat the disc, if I remember!

I'm using a Mac, but you should be able to drag and drop with Windows, no?
The first rule of the road is:
"If anything can happen, at any time, it will!"

Erik Boattail

• Regular Membership
  • The Never-Netherlands
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 03:38:04 AM »
I only use SDXC type cards, but that is because I have my camera set up to take 3 shots in RAW, with different camera settings, of each object.
The Lexar 1066x has a read speed of 95 MB/s and a write speed of 45 MB/s, something that comes in very handy when you are taking photos of a series of moving objects.
- Got rubber?

Ray F

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 09:00:48 AM »
I had the same problems as you guys using a Sandisk memory card.
Once, I couldn't take any pictures, and another time the memory crapped out after 30 or 40 shots.

I don't know if I forgot to do so in the first place, but after I reformatted the card, everything worked fine again.

Ray.
 You shouldn't need an app for uploading pics to your computer.
You should be able to use a USB cable and download direct to your desktop.

I usually make a new folder then just drag and drop from the camera to the desktop folder.
 Once the pics have transferred, then I reformat the disc, if I remember!

I'm using a Mac, but you should be able to drag and drop with Windows, no?
You would think ... but The little Canon Powershot ELPH 190 IS P&S that I bought a month or so ago, doesnt include a USB cable. The only way I was able to transfer them from Camera to my Tablet via Wifi  ???

Btw I Switched out memory cards for a smaller one, 2gb(?) and the card reader on my laptop worked  ::) knock on wood.   

Brockway

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 11:04:29 AM »
I use and have used Sandisk, and Lexar SD Cards from 8 to 32 GB's. I have a Canon SX20IS camera. So far I have never had a card failure. I format my cards about once a month.

When Twin Golden Huskies Pass You...... It's HUSKIDRIVE!

mooby346

• Regular Membership
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 09:05:40 PM »
I only use SDXC type cards, but that is because I have my camera set up to take 3 shots in RAW, with different camera settings, of each object.
The Lexar 1066x has a read speed of 95 MB/s and a write speed of 45 MB/s, something that comes in very handy when you are taking photos of a series of moving objects.

According to Amazon the 1066x is a CompactFlash card? I was looking at the 2000x which has great reviews everywhere but apparently they're discontinued.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 09:05:40 PM »