If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: 2/3 Scale Freightliner 8164T  (Read 122 times)

FireStar

• Regular Membership
2/3 Scale Freightliner 8164T
« on: October 11, 2017, 03:31:29 PM »
So during school yesterday I came across a video I had found shortly after my dad's highway roaming days ended. It was a video of a 2/3 scale 1960's Freightliner 8164T. I did some research on this and found it was hand built by a former chairman of Freightliner after he retired. He built it in his garage in Oregon, and even built a matching flatbed trailer. He then later donated it to the Pacific Northwest Truck Museum in Brooks, Oregon where it now resides. It is powered by a Cummins 6BT Inline 6 cylinder engine, complemented by a Spicer 5 speed transmission that drives the rear axle(s(tandem drive not known)). It has air brakes, lights, air horns, chrome, the works. It is fully street legal (you wouldn't know from the fact that they trailer it around). You also need a Class A CDL with air brake and combination certification to drive it. There is also a 2/3rd 50's style bubble nose cab over owned by the same museum. Unfortunately, there is no information to be found out about it that I have seen.

So to answer the question of a thread started here in 2010, Was it Freightliners answer to Peterbilt's Mighty Mites? No. It was built by Ken Self because he could. To be honest, it makes me want to build a 2/3rd scale Pete for the heck of it. Just a matter of time and money.

If I haven't found it, I will. Believe me, no truck is safe from my eyes, Large or scaled.

Hank's Truck Forum

2/3 Scale Freightliner 8164T
« on: October 11, 2017, 03:31:29 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

tery

• Regular Membership
Re: 2/3 Scale Freightliner 8164T
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 03:36:40 PM »
That is a nice hobby !
---------- Keep On Trucking ----------

FireStar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 03:47:36 PM »
Image of the Information plaque that travels with the truck. Says the trans is a 5 speed Fuller, not a Spicer. I'm going to have to look into this.

If I haven't found it, I will. Believe me, no truck is safe from my eyes, Large or scaled.

JJG

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 01:00:54 AM »
That truck is awesome!! I can't remember if it was in Salem or at the Brooks show that we seen it, took pictures, it really is cool to stand beside it and see it's size! What I find really impressive is it's' accuracy in scale. So many smaller version trucks I have sen are not done to the degree this one is!

It was in Salem, just found it in my photobucket.

I would love to see the Bubblenose, love those trucks!

Jim

tery

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 06:01:53 AM »
Yes like the plaque says the cab tilts 90 degrees . Everything in the sleeper falls out and into the cab . Our shop had a couple of TV's fall through the windshield !
---------- Keep On Trucking ----------

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 06:01:53 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs