If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Truck Concepts of ... The FUTURE ...  (Read 844 times)

Ray F

Truck Concepts of ... The FUTURE ...
« on: October 07, 2017, 03:54:37 PM »
Seeing as there is big hype about the new Tesla truck  ::) ;D I figured I would add some ... "Interesting" Designed Semi Trucks of the future ... that Car companies have designed.  ::) :(

Googled and found this Audi Truck. Cab Looks like a ... Maybe a Alienware Computer ..

Scania Concept S

I'll add more as I find them.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 03:58:56 PM by Ray F »

Hank's Truck Forum

Truck Concepts of ... The FUTURE ...
« on: October 07, 2017, 03:54:37 PM »

Jon_G

Re: Truck Concepts of ... The FUTURE ...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 04:15:16 PM »
The color scheme of the Audi truck is actually pretty cool, if it had a more traditional European cab up front I'd be on board. Really like their car designs though.
The MAN isn't terrible, design study to actual product almost always differs though. Designers are often given a box to fill with something and then engineering comes in and makes changes to better fit the needs of the product. As a former design student, I can add that there are often design studies done on future products and often just to see what the designers can come up with. These are more or less "what if" renderings. Typically concept vehicles displayed at shows are more far along prototypes that will evoke where the styling cues will go.

Jon

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 04:51:01 PM »
Interesting idea for a thread.  I didn't realize Audi did a truck concept; I know Volkswagen, the parent company of Audi, has actually put trucks into production but this isn't something I would expect from a high end luxury automaker though.  It's absolutely terrible; the thing looks like a smartphone on wheels.  Considering the love affair between the younger generation and their smartphones, I guess it's to be expected that that will be reflected in vehicle designs in the future.

The MAN is hideous too, with the front end also being very smartphone-like.  Granted this is just a concept that, if produced, will be in a considerably different form.  Still, I don't get why it seems just about every electric vehicle has to have some sort of odd, geeky design elements on it. :-\

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 05:06:58 PM »
The Audi looks like a hammer on wheels, and the MAN looks like a hybrid robocop/transformer. I know these will never see the light of day but it seems like another clear cut sign of where the industry is headed.

Jon_G

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 05:40:14 PM »
I can see it heading toward the MAN design, the Audi was probably some kind of design study. I'm not 100% sure it is even something commissioned by Audi itself. If they squared off the MAN a bit and proprtioned the wheels and windows a bit better I may see it in a better light. MAN does a lot of concept trucks and renderings, but tends to keep their products the same for a long time. The current TG range has its roots way back, I think as far as the late 1990s and they just facelifted it to fit Euro 6 emissions, and it still looks pretty much the same to me. So nothing more than a concept.

Designs are driven more by regulations than anything else, especially with commercial vehicles. The new Euro trucks were driven by the change to Euro 6 emissions, which I believe require more cooling, so they all have big grilles. With the US de-regulating a lot of things currently, I'd be surprised if any radical trucks come out, minus the Tesla, which I am confident will not sell in a conservative and profit driven market. Even the new aero trucks here are really evolutions of old designs.

Jon

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 05:49:39 PM »

Designs are driven more by regulations than anything else, especially with commercial vehicles. The new Euro trucks were driven by the change to Euro 6 emissions, which I believe require more cooling, so they all have big grilles. With the US de-regulating a lot of things currently, I'd be surprised if any radical trucks come out, minus the Tesla, which I am confident will not sell in a conservative and profit driven market. Even the new aero trucks here are really evolutions of old designs.

Jon

Interesting; I didn't know that about the Euro 6 trucks.  I have to agree that design of the trucks here (and even in Europe) has been pretty evolutionary for a long time.  That's a good thing IMO.  Some people may complain about cookie cutter aero trucks and how the new engines aren't as good as the old ones, but when compared to something radical like the Tesla or Nikola, it really puts things into perspective and reminds us that things could be much worse.

I'm not sure if the deregulation going on currently is having any specific impact on trucking - do you have a specific example in mind?  I know the current Administration has made a lot of noise about slashing regulations but would think if it was a big deal for trucking there would be a forum thread for it somewhere.

Ray F

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 06:10:50 PM »
This One has been out for Along Time now ... The Renault Radiance Concept. I remember seeing this truck on the Episode Modern Marvels: Trucks

Jon_G

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 07:17:18 PM »
They didnt get rid of Phase 2 sadly but they did put an exemption for glider kits back in so they are still good to be produced, and I read that they were looking at making Phase 2 less stringent on the industry.
As for the Renault, its interesting as it looks like they put a (I assume this is around mid 2000s) Clio front end on it and a truck upper front.

Jon

Freightliner Guy

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 09:36:39 PM »
The Audi truck looks to be an autonomous (self driving) truck concept. No windows or doors are visible.

Ray F

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 01:20:38 AM »

Wreckerman

• Regular Membership
  • 🇺🇸
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 03:16:21 AM »
Thanks for posting this Ray!
Well, the paint is neat, and the wheels are pretty cool, but the truck appears to have been hit hard with the Ugly Stick. :P
Unless you can fly, getting in the cab would probably be difficult considering it doesn't have steps.
Anyway, it's an interesting novelty, and honestly it is pretty neat looking, but I fervently hope it remains a one off concept. ;D
Move Over & Slow Down for Stopped Emergency Vehicles.
This Includes Tow Trucks and Their Operators.

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 03:35:52 PM »
Looks like a long nose version of a Pete 372, or as Wreckerman said, somebody beat it with the ugly stick.

That thing makes a Prostar look pretty.

W. Lineman

• Regular Membership
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 11:25:53 AM »
The rearview camera display on my pickup is often blurred out by a single raindrop on a rainy or snowy day... I guess on these new cabs if you're going to take away my 16x9 mirrors and give me only laptop screens inside, maybe you could put an air-jet on those tiny aerodynamic camera lenses to keep them dry? And maybe keep them heated?

While you're at it, could you put little electric motors on them to be able to adjust side-to-side and zoom in? With the seat in the center of the truck, both sides become 'the blind side' when backing up. And for those 90 degree jacks into a tight space, I really like to eyeball my trailer tandems and get them as close as I safely can to the yellow parking stripe alongside that tractor I'm backing in next to. Even if it means opening the door and sticking my head out, but oh... I suppose I'll have to set the brakes and climb the whole way down the steps to be able to see that?

Also, I'm one of those that really does enjoy the safety of hood-mounted mirrors. I know it might destroy aerodynamics, but could you put little whiskers near the front with camera lenses in them? I like to see the cars alongside. I suppose you could just put radar sensors there and buzz at me when somebody's there, but if it's an autonomous Uber car with nobody driving, I'd like to give them plenty of room. 

« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 11:28:08 AM by W. Lineman »

Jon_G

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 07:51:20 PM »

Supposedly the Shell concept will be at the Louisville show this week. Unfortunately, this is the first year I won't be attending in a long time, so I will not see it in person. However, it certainly looks.......interesting.

Jon

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 07:51:20 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs