If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Crackerbox Question  (Read 1323 times)

FireStar

• Regular Membership
Crackerbox Question
« on: September 17, 2017, 03:21:09 PM »
I was on the site of a guy who makes 1/25 scale models, and he has the 7000 day cab and 8000 sleeper cab. But there are also two different versions of those, the DF and DLR. So my question is, what's the difference between the DF and DLR? Is it anything major? Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 09:36:53 PM by FireStar »
If I haven't found it, I will. Believe me, no truck is safe from my eyes, Large or scaled.

Hank's Truck Forum

Crackerbox Question
« on: September 17, 2017, 03:21:09 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
Re: Crackerbox Question
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 04:42:53 AM »
I was on the site of a guy who makes 1/25 scale models, and he has the 7000 day cab and 8000 sleeper cab. But there are also two different versions of those, the DF and DLR. So my question is, what's the difference between the DF and DLR? Is it anything major? Thanks in advance.

Without seeing the site you're mentioning, here's my thoughts:

The "Crackerbox" came in axle forward and 2 set-back axle versions.
One of the set-back axles was offered with an early air ride system offered by GM. It was easily distinguished by the larger than usual chassis rail size and a X cross brace system.
Hope that helps.
Right-wing Old School.

FireStar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 05:43:49 AM »
http://aitruckmodels.com/product-category/conversionkits/gmc/

Here's the site, and now that I look at it, one is a set back axle as opposed to the other, with the DF being the set forward model, and the DLR being the set back axle. Amazing what you see when you're not half asleep from marching band and school. The model kits are just the cab, so the DLR would be modeled after the set back axle without the air ride. Thanks for the info.

On a side note, last year I saw a crackerbox in a truck pull. 7000 I believe. It didn't make it far, but the blue Pete 379 and 5 ton military truck it ran against both made it past the 300 ft mark and could have kept going!
If I haven't found it, I will. Believe me, no truck is safe from my eyes, Large or scaled.

tery

• Regular Membership
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 06:28:31 AM »
By the looks of their photos the DLR is a Cab Forward Single Axle ... The DF has Tandem Drive Axles .
Most companies ran the DF 7000 day cab or sleeper cab .
I was too young to remember the model numbers ~ but I did ride in a DF 7000 day cab with my father .
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 06:34:52 AM by tery »
__________ In memory of drivers __________
 Red Ball , Georgia Fox , Yardbird , Diamond Doll

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 06:28:31 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs