If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Rob Archer  (Read 881 times)

Greg_E

• Greg Elgart Collection
Re: Rob Archer
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2017, 11:16:42 PM »
I still visit about once a day. I still take truck photos. I just don't always have something to say or chime in with much. The forum was never meant to be used as a means for posting photos. Hank created it with the intent it would supplement the main site, which is where many members have/had their galleries. Hank is enjoying retirement and doesn't update as often as he used to, but discussion starters are posted all the time in many collections. It mostly showcases the best works of truck photographers from all around. The forum has declined with the expansion of the internet, but I don't get too down about it as it was never meant to grow to what it is  in the first place.

Just my two cents. (And not knocking anyone who posts their photos elsewhere.)

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2017, 11:16:42 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Wreckerman

• Regular Membership
  • I'm Hooked on Wreckers Forever!
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2017, 02:05:56 AM »
My thoughts are that Facebook is a big city whereas Hank's is the genteel small town.
I love Hank's, and I'll assist anyway I can to keep it running, because it's one of the very few decent websites out there.
It thankfully lacks trolls, spammers, bullies, and general pain in the butts. Whereas Facebook has such things in abundance. I'm not saying Facebook is bad or wrong, just too busy for my tastes.
I realize that most folks have a Facebook account, but it's something I lack, and have no plans of getting.
I've never liked the big name social media sites(mind you, this is coming from a 19 year old) and I really hope that they don't overtake sites like Hank's. To use an example, recall how most American mills and factories were either moved overseas and merged with mega companies or just closed down and abandoned. I don't want to rant, but it seems that all good things must come to an end, and frankly I'm going to fight to keep Hank's going as long as possible. I will say that it is quite difficult to post photos here, so maybe a streamlining of that process would halt the "mass exodus". I've heard that Tapatalk is an exceptionally easy forum provider to post pictures on. Hopefully the Forum will pick up now that summer is over, and people are mostly finished with vacations.
Move Over & Slow Down for Stopped Emergency Vehicles.
This Includes Tow Trucks and Their Operators.

wbache

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2017, 08:00:29 AM »
All I have to say is when photo of the day was started is was one pic per day and no comments--while a brief comment may be appropriate a  full blow discussion does not fit the stated purpose---There is a group on Facebook devoted to Volvo's.  I spend an hour a day trying to get a pic that might fit the thread and  since my favored spot disappeared I have held my posts until late to give others a chance to post if I don't have a clean pic.  About photo of the month I won't go there. Nice knowing you all.

JJG

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2017, 10:53:26 AM »
All I have to say is when photo of the day was started is was one pic per day and no comments--while a brief comment may be appropriate a  full blow discussion does not fit the stated purpose---There is a group on Facebook devoted to Volvo's.  I spend an hour a day trying to get a pic that might fit the thread and  since my favored spot disappeared I have held my posts until late to give others a chance to post if I don't have a clean pic.  About photo of the month I won't go there. Nice knowing you all.

Walt, I'd hate to see you leave over this, a gentle reminder would possibly keep "law and order" as I think most guys that comment there either forget that is is for that purpose. Let's all work together to keep a good thing going, I always appreciate your input. The quality of my contributions outright suck on certain days but the way I view it, if it is a truck in a picture that you took on that day, it works :).

Jim

JJG

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2017, 11:05:03 AM »
I just want to add here that this is one of the best places to be on for comments and content, it's "family friendly" and free of all that other nonsense. It IS a truck forum so social medias that cater to friend and family "open book" life style is fine for those who want it, I don't need to know what everyone's extended family life is up to, here I look at trucks and trucking content and yeah, some of the fine folks here become friends and that is what the PM section is for, now you can talk about whatever with those great people and keep on truckin here!! Hope to see all come back and keep it alive.

BTW, so cool to see the younger guys here too, I for one appreciate the contributions you guys add and that is what is all about, the older guys answer the unknowns for the guys to follow, that's how we all learn what there is to know about this subject, be it your career, hobby or both.

Jim

Hanky

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2017, 01:46:13 PM »
Myself I am feed up with Photo bucket but I check in several times a day and get RobG to post my Pacific or Hayes stuff for me.  I have taken steps last year so my photos do not disapear in Vinatge truck since they are our history.

Hanky

mooby346

• Regular Membership
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2017, 08:28:19 PM »

Slow down Walt, no need to act like we're all leaving. Being a fairly new member I had no idea POTD was meant to be a "one shot a day no discussion necessary" type of deal, and I'm willing to abide by it if that's what it takes to keep it going. It ain't like we can't have discussions elsewhere here, and I was under the impression any activity at this point is good activity. I come here to socialize with people who share my interest in trucks, and lately it seems like we've all found better places to do that at. So my b for thinking POTD is a suitable place for a discussion about one of the photos.

R. Buron

• Regular Membership
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2017, 05:53:51 PM »
It's very sad to see all that to happen; the death of Gérard, the Photobucket problems, the numerous Forum members desertion and now the uncertain statute of Rob Archer on the Forum. JJG is right : the Forum is one of the best places to be on
for comments and content.

Since 2005 now I'm learning about trucks and the transport industry through the Forum and the Pictures Collection pages. For
my part I'm happy to share my knowledge coming from my substantial accumulated documentation with the Forum members.
I hardly never seen anyone asking for some information and don't get an answer from one of the Forum members. If we add
the Pictures Collection pages and the Forum we can note that the Hank's website is an inestimable anthology about trucks and
trucking. So, it would be very sad to see it go downhill.

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 05:57:21 PM »
It's very sad to see all that to happen; the death of Gérard, the Photobucket problems, the numerous Forum members desertion and now the uncertain statute of Rob Archer on the Forum. JJG is right : the Forum is one of the best places to be on
for comments and content.

So, it would be very sad to see it go downhill.
Indeed it would but I don't think it's at that point.......yet. Gerards' passing followed closely the Photobucket debacle has sure hurt but the daily viewership of members has been pretty steady all along. What we need now is more participation........both photography and discussion.

The Forum seems to get a lot of guests checking in.......just wondering if there's a way a guest could participate in discussions and make comments. I don't know how that works computer wise but maybe it would liven this place up a bit? ???

As far as members jumping ship (to Facebook or otherwise) I'd love to hear what the primary reason(s) was for doing so. Except for 1 member who IIRC was disappointed in the amount of comments his posts garnered none of those who suddenly disappeared expressed a reason for doing so. I'd just like to hear from a couple or 3 to let us know what drove them away.

Jon_G

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2017, 06:20:11 PM »

To me, it seems like a lot of the discussion has gone away which is a shame really. I can't speak to the reason for that, and I'm part of the problem as I find myself busier and busier outside of here. However, and I know it sounds whiny, but I guess if I'm going to put all of the effort into the photo taking and editing, I want it to be seen on a platform where it can be viewed and enjoyed, and hopefully generates discussion or what have you. I don't care about the number of views or likes or whatever, but the discussion is what I miss most. And I just have started to question whether the monthly fee I pay to Slickpic to post links here is worth the premium when there is no discussion generated, and I can go to Flickr for free and have no less discussion in the process, and have a really nice, organized platform to share photos.

Now, I don't mind using a hosting service, it's really not much extra work IMHO, but when I'm paying to use it and not getting much out of it, I guess I just kinda don't know if it's worth doing. Plus there's now a risk of Slickpic pulling the same BS Photobucket did, and I am not re-doing all of my links again. I like being here, and by no means do I want to leave or anything, but that's just my thoughts on the matter. To be honest, I probably won't be on here as often as I'm A) posting a lot on Flickr and having it all in one place, and B) life has gotten very busy as I work a lot more often as well as taking classes and trying to search for careers post graduation, plus I have a 1 year old dog I'm now taking care of. I often am shown as logged on here, but a lot of the time I just forget to log off and leave myself logged in. So, to make a long story short, I am not leaving as far as contributing discussion, but I probably will post most photo content on Flickr, because it's free, organized, and gets arguably more traffic. The main part is the free aspect though, it's just so much more convenient and I don't have to spend more money, which as I college student I spend enough of already.

Jon

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2017, 08:16:13 PM »

As far as members jumping ship (to Facebook or otherwise) I'd love to hear what the primary reason(s) was for doing so. Except for 1 member who IIRC was disappointed in the amount of comments his posts garnered none of those who suddenly disappeared expressed a reason for doing so. I'd just like to hear from a couple or 3 to let us know what drove them away.

I sure would too; I really have no idea why members have to just vanish without any sort of advance notice or reasons for doing so.  As for Rob Archer, I was wondering if it would be out of place for anyone could message him on Facebook?  Anyway, I think this decline of the forum, which I would argue has already gone downhill quite a bit, has become somewhat of a snowball effect.  Certain members left for Facebook or elsewhere a while ago, making things generally less enjoyable here.  Meanwhile, few new members have popped up. The Photobucket issues just made things worse, and at some point members who otherwise enjoy being involved in discussions here have less reason to be active.  Also, less content means less interest for potential new members, and at this point (which is where I believe we are at) that means a slow, sad death for the forum.  I honestly saw this coming for a while but didn't expect we would be having these discussions so soon. :'(  And let's face it, having the head administrator disappear like this is a very big deal.

The Forum seems to get a lot of guests checking in.......just wondering if there's a way a guest could participate in discussions and make comments. I don't know how that works computer wise but maybe it would liven this place up a bit? ???

I personally think we should re-open self registration and see if that makes any difference, although I'm afraid at this point there's no pulling out of the downward spiral that Hank's is in.  I know it was turned off a few years ago because of spammers, but think it would be good to try again, and perhaps having one of those Captcha checks would deter some of the spammers.  Also I remember seeing in very old threads posts made by "guests" who weren't full members but could still post stuff.  That was waaaay before I joined here; I don't know if they had issues with that or what, but could be something to try, and shut it down if the trolls get out of hand. :-\

R. Buron

• Regular Membership
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 11:22:39 AM »
I got in touch with Rob Archer. He hope te return at some point. As he told me `` Hank Forum is not smartphone friendly ``.
That is the only device he has presently to access the internet.

Jon_G

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 03:09:44 PM »

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks for clearing it up Rene! Hope he gets his computer sorted again. Reading my posts from earlier in this thread, I think I got a little down in the dumps with some of the folks leaving. I really enjoy being a member here, and I do not plan on leaving. I am going to be posting my stuff on Flickr as well to supplement as I do car photography and design stuff as well as trucks, but after reflecting a bit, I would like to continue to contribute my photos here as well. We do have a bit of a smaller group here than what we used to, but I would argue the people that are here are passionate about being here, which is great to see. I apologize for getting a bit dramatic in earlier posts, the more I think about it, the less I care whether 1 person comments on my picture post or 100 people do. As long as I get something out of posting the photos here, I think it's worth doing, and I want to keep doing so. That being said, I am a lot busier than usual, so may be a bit infrequent. Want to give a shoutout to mooby346 for taking the reigns of PoTM, as I just don't feel like I have the time to moderate it the right way, and I am not one to put 50% effort into something, so thanks for doing that!
I think this place can still have a bright future, provided that the folks that are here continue to care, which I think we do. 8)

Jon

R. Buron

• Regular Membership
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2017, 07:28:22 AM »
I'm happy about your last thought John_G, it's not because some people didn't comment on photos that they did not look
at them and appreciate them. You could be surprised about the people who browse in the different sections, including the
Forum one, of the Hank's website. Since the years I have a photos collection on Hank's I was myself surprised by the different
background of people asking the permission to use my photos including a media production company working on behalf of
FEDEX Corp. in the purpose to produce an internal video or document related to a brief history of TNT in the surroundings
of the takeover of TNT by FEDEX. 

Jon_G

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2017, 04:12:30 PM »
I haven't heard from Rob either. Wayne is still around but he isn't active on the forum. I do miss the two's presence here. I hope both are doing alright. Photobucket is probably causing a lot of problems for them since majority of their photos are found there.
Wayne asked me to say hello to everyone, he is doing his best to get back on here soon.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2017, 04:12:30 PM »