If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Next Gen Scania in Chicago  (Read 402 times)

Hank's Truck Forum

Next Gen Scania in Chicago
« on: September 05, 2017, 11:12:44 AM »

Jon_G

Re: Next Gen Scania in Chicago
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 01:15:57 PM »

Interesting. Both MAN and Scania are owned by VW Group, which last year IIRC announced a powertrain partnership with Navistar, which is on the side of the truck. Would be a nice thought to believe they were bringing the Scania here, but I would imagine they are doing climate or perhaps US-reg testing of Scania components for future International products.

Jon

Jon_G

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 09:56:34 PM »

This truck has since been spotted hauling a trailer. It appears that the trailer is of European design also. I do question whether this is a product evaluation. The chassis seems awfully long for a European model, but I could be wrong. Not my photo, but wanted to share it nonetheless.

The blog this was shown on also has a few other photos of Scanias testing abroad. There was some speculation as to what this truck is for as well. Here is the link to the blog posting: http://www.midiatruckbrasil.com/2017/10/novidades-sobre-nova-scania-no-brasil.html

Jon

NG1635

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 03:23:58 AM »
it is 6x2 , scania offer wheelbases from 2950mm now, this one seems to be 3350

NG1635

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 04:18:30 AM »
but shortest 6x4 is 3150mm, old generation scania had wb shorter by 50mm ( front axle possition), it was 2900 for 6x2, 3100 for 6x4.

in 4series scania offered 6x4 2900mm wheelbase for australia b-double applications, there is only one truck in europe with this wb, in italy.

Erik Boattail

• Regular Membership
  • The Never-Netherlands
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 04:29:23 AM »
The chassis seems awfully long for a European model, but I could be wrong.

The chassis looks normal for an European truck with a tandem rear axle

- Got rubber?

Jon_G

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 09:23:25 AM »

Ah, thanks for the info and comparison pic as well. I'm used to seeing more short BBC European trucks, I didn't know they offered a longer chassis length for OTR applications. My hope is that they are testing this to sell it here but I remain skeptical. Would be nice to see them come back. The folks that drove Scanias the last time they sold here (from what I have read) seemed to really like the trucks, but they didn't have a solid dealer network nor were they as big a company then as they are now. With a partnership with NAVISTAR that they now have, it could be a good trade-off. Scania can offer International its mechanical technology, which they could really use after the MAXXFORCE debacles they have faced, and Scania gets a foot hold in North America with access to a strong dealer network and a huge market.

Jon

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 09:23:25 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs