If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: International 8100 Project  (Read 431 times)

GothamMatt

• Regular Membership
International 8100 Project
« on: September 01, 2017, 01:00:11 PM »
Since my Roadway LTL thread started turning into an International 8100 building thread I thought I'd start a new one to keep them separate.  So, this is my attempt to make an 8100 out of an IHC 4900 cab.  I've learned a lot so far as I bumble my way through things!   A few of them: The Boley International hood is a lot more prototypical in it's overall shape but it lacks a raised grille.  The IHC, which I thought was more accurate, has some big issues!  The sides of the hood come in a striaght "V" shape as they go to the grille and they should be curved or bowed inward from the cab to the grille.  The raised portion of the hood is also too straight and is too wide at the cab.  I've run into all these as I modified and then checked prototype pics and found mine still didn't look right. 

Anyway, since I'm going by eye and not measurements, I out this picture together to try to judge the differences between the standard and the 8100 hood/cab. I may refer to it, so here it is:
http://www.gothamcitysub.com/ImgHost/comparejpg.jpg

So one of the big problems in using the IHC as a starting point is that the real 8100 hood slants down much more when viewed from the side.  It drops at a steeper angle and is curved more as it flows down into the grille area.  I tried to get this look by filling in the top horizontal piece of the grille and then reshaping the hood with a bigger curve.  Then I shaved the hood down even more.  It looks better than the IHC, but still doesn't drop as much as the real thing. Also, I made the grille look too small top to bottom by eliminating one of the horizontal slots.   

At first I saw that the hood should be wider than it is and rounder - much like the Boley hood is, so I started adding styrene and shaving things down.  I'll post pics of that later.  In the end I added a lot of styrene, both to the top and sides of the hood, filled with coats of filler and reshaped until I got a the curves I wanted. 

Now I'm trying to get a good casting of the grille from another IHC cab so I can cut off  the bottom and make my grille extend one horizontal "slot" lower.  I think that will make the grille look better and also make the overall height of the front more accurate.  Once that's done I will have to fill and smooth some more and then start working on the fender flares and headlight cut-outs. 

I'd really like feedback on the shape of the hood. So please for better or worse let me know if it looks right!  Jim, do you have any newer pics of your 8100 conversion?  I saved a couple of small older ones, but they're pretty grainy.  Also, did you base it off the IHC or the Boley?  Thanks!

http://www.gothamcitysub.com/ImgHost/8100-1.jpg

http://www.gothamcitysub.com/ImgHost/8100-2.jpg

http://www.gothamcitysub.com/ImgHost/8100-3.jpg

Hank's Truck Forum

International 8100 Project
« on: September 01, 2017, 01:00:11 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

KTA1000

• Regular Membership
Re: International 8100 Project
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 02:03:35 PM »
Looks Great !,, hope you cast it up when your'e done

Paul

JJG

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 10:12:31 PM »
You're off to a great start Matt, it's why I didn't make a mold of mine :), it isn't "right " enough. Keep on going!

Jim.

GothamMatt

• Regular Membership
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 10:39:47 AM »
Well, believe it or not Ive been working on this frequently, it's just super slow going!  Anyway here's a couple update pics. 

I've got the holes plugged and sanded.  The side windows should be slanted on the left side and they look pretty straight up and down on this model.  I'm considering whether to add some styrene and cut the vertical edge at more of a correct slant.  Now's the time I guess. 
http://www.gothamcitysub.com/pics/8100-10.jpg

The IHC kit has a very rough roof and the lines aren't straight either.  I filled them and sanded the whole thing smooth. Now I need to scribe some new straight lines in.   I completely overlooked the back of the cab when I started the project, but have been spending moist of my time there now.  It's a thick cab, so cutting things out of it is tough!  Best way I know of is to drill holes and then cut with the xacto.  I'm open to tips though!  I cut the window out, but messed up the right side, so I have it puttied up for re-shaping.  Then, the cab back has the vertical indentations and the rounded-rectangle section is slightly depressed compared to the rest of the cab.  I figured I've come this far, so I guess I'll take the time to scratchbuild that section as best as I can.  I decided to cut out the depressed section and then glue in my scratch-built section, so here you see the rough hole. 
http://www.gothamcitysub.com/pics/8100-11.jpg

Lots of work to go.  I think I'll finish the back, then move up front to the grille and the fenders. 
Matt

JJG

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 10:33:49 PM »
Looks great Matt, I do things similar, I don't have any fancy tools to work with so what I have learned over the years is to overlay and have had descent results with the base shape! scribing lines in with an aXcto knife is tough going for me, keep it "clamped" and cut. Just a thought, keep up the good work, looks like you have the eye for the detail that matters. The rear window door line being on the angle for example is a nice touch!

Jim
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:36:36 PM by JJG »

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 10:33:49 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs